Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rob43

Diabetes is actually five separate diseases, research suggests

Rob43

Scientists say diabetes is five separate diseases, and treatment could be tailored to each form.

Diabetes - or uncontrolled blood sugar levels - is normally split into type 1 and type 2.

But researchers in Sweden and Finland think the more complicated picture they have uncovered will usher in an era of personalised medicine for diabetes.

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-43246261

meyery2k

What a fascinating article.  I know from my personal experience that if I limit carbs and stay active, I can test as a non-diabetic where my fasting and A1c are concerned.  I am certain I am insulin resistant because my BG will shoot up after eating rice or bread and return to normal in time.

Before I realized I was diabetic, I just ate too much food in general and flooded my engine lol...

Now I run on a lean mix :)

dowling gram

Very interesting. We do know that every diabetic is different and this makes sense. I believe that individualized medicine is the wave of the future for certain diseases. They have already discovered particular cancers respond better to individualized treatment so is diabetes next. Wouldn't that be nice but probably not in my life time

don1942

I am different because I developed diabetes at a later age, was never over weight, and I am totally insulin dependent. I seem to be in a sixth group. 

Kit

What about LADA (1.5)?  Autoimmune diabetes but not young on onset.  Cluster 1 is for the young.  Cluster 2 isn't autoimmune.

And the newly recognized Type 3b?  Those who have become diabetic because of the inability to produce sufficient insulin due to a cause other than an autoimmune attack?  (Surgery, injury, etc).  Maybe Cluster 2, but this can happen at any age and be totally unrelated to weight or physical health.

Or the insulin resistant who weren't obese but at the same time, we not older than usual?

I do think it is good that the medical community recognize that diabetes isn't a one size fit all thing.  But I do worry, at least from that article, that they are still falling into the old traps of thinking.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.