Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  
princesslinda

Brussels Sprouts

princesslinda

I really, really want to like Brussels sprouts, but it's just not happening.  I've boiled them and roasted them with olive oil and S&P, I've even shredded them on a mandolin and added butter and lemon.  Still not loving them.  Any ideas on how to make them not taste so much like Brussels sprouts ;)?

modcarb

Well I love Brussels sprouts.

I generally clean them, add a small amount of water and steam them in a microwave for about 6 min with a little s & p.

I do add a bit of butter after I drain them.

princesslinda

The Dijon might add a better flavor.  Thought about adding a touch of balsamic vinegar, just a few drops to perk it up.  I've seen them with pomegranate seeds, but have never tried them.   I am really needing more green veggies in my diet. 

stevenal

Grow up? They made me gag as a kid and I love them now, so my conclusion is that tastes change given time. Cut them in half and stir fry in butter and garlic.

adiantum

Theyre also a favourite vege now that I'm adult, but I sure gagged on them before.

M'wave them then add them to a pan of bacon & roll them in the fat with thin strips of lemon peel.

Add pine nuts & allow them to gently brown 

OneEye

The proverbial (they) did a study in kids that liked and disliked broccoli. Seems it had nothing to do with the broccoli...but the taste buds themselves and how the brain perceived that taste. Come to find out that we can recognize the taste of millions of things. Who knew! Their conclusion was that the majority of the kids who didn't care for the broccoli were just being picky...but in a certain percentage of the kids the taste of the broccoli, and perhaps its texture (I hate the texture of tongue), was so repulsive they actually spit it out. So, in your case...Brussels sprouts may actually taste worse than they actually do to everyone else.

Not a big fan of Brussels sprouts, myself. They're like little condensed cabbages...with a condensed cabbage taste. I do, however, use them in my stew.  My stew sauce is so strong that it masks the taste of the sprouts. Well, that...and while I'm chewing them up I keep repeating in my mind..."these are good for you, OneEye...these are good for you! Just chew them and shaddup...there's pie for dessert."

Kit

Before recently, the only brussles sprouts I'd ever tried were boiled into a gray/green/brown mush thing.  Thought I despised them.

More recently I discovered I really liked them if they were prepared decently (not boiled into flavorless mush).  

I've also read that our tastes change every 7 years.  Which means keep periodically giving things another try.  You may have disliked it once but tastes can change as long as they are given the opportunity.

Not that long ago I despised dark chocolate of any type.  Now I enjoy 100% dark baking chocolate all by itself.  I would have never believed that could happen.

adiantum

I prefer the smaller sprouts to the large as does most people it seems when selecting them in the store..we all go for the small ones

Kit

Regarding asparagus, the small ones are great for salads, quick cooking stir fries, and similar.  But the bigger ones actually have better flavor IMO.  They require more cooking however.

OneEye

I like the Green Giant asparagus in a can. I'd choose fresh...but I only shop once a month and a month is too long to let fresh vegetables set. I open the can, drain out the juice and spread them out on a plate then drop a huge dollop of mayonnaise next to them and then drag them to their death one-by-one through the mayonnaise.

Well, crap...now I'm hungry. I gotta stay outta these "food" threads! :)

adiantum

I use that juice to make an asparagus dish.

Make a sauce with butter, flour & a little cream or milk & that juice.

Add asparagus cuts  & a couple of sliced boiled eggs.

Kit
47 minutes ago, OneEye said:

I like the Green Giant asparagus in a can. I'd choose fresh...but I only shop once a month and a month is too long to let fresh vegetables set. I open the can, drain out the juice and spread them out on a plate then drop a huge dollop of mayonnaise next to them and then drag them to their death one-by-one through the mayonnaise.

Well, crap...now I'm hungry. I gotta stay outta these "food" threads! :)

open canned asparagus.

Put about half the juice from the can in a smallish skillet and boil to concentrate a bit.

Add in heavy whipping cream, lower heat, and simmer until it thickens.

Taste and add salt\pepper to preference.  I'm always generous on the pepper.

Add in asparagus (careful not to break tips) and simmer a little more until everything is hot.

Kenton
On 3/2/2018 at 3:47 PM, adiantum said:

Theyre also a favourite vege now that I'm adult, but I sure gagged on them before.

M'wave them then add them to a pan of bacon & roll them in the fat with thin strips of lemon peel.

Add pine nuts & allow them to gently brown 

Then there's mine.  cut them in two,  and sprinkle a little sea salt and lemon juice  on them  then sear them in a pan with toasted sesame oil

This is a recipe in development. I'm thinking of smoking some sea salt with oak and trying that on the sprouts among other ideas.

dowling gram

Well you'll never convince me that I like them. There are lots of other greens with as much nutrition to eat and enjoy without trying to convince myself that I like brussel sprouts

Hammer

I've mentioned this in a previous thread, but I love brussel sprouts, but only if they are cooked and seasoned properly.  I would buy the baby brussel sprouts in a frozen bag at the food store.  When I would cook them, I would put them in a pot, fill the pot with water so that all of the brussel sprouts were covered with water.  I would bring the pot to a boil, then turn down the heat so that the pot was just simmering.  I'd cook the sprouts until they were completely soft, then, I'd remove the pot from the stove, drain off all of the water, then add a small amount of corn oil to the pot, (you don't want to add so much corn oil so that the sprouts are floating in it), then add garlic salt to them.  Once you've added the garlic salt, cover the pot and shake the pot, turning it over a few times while shaking, to make sure that the garlic salt is mixed well into the sprouts, then serve.  Keep the garlic salt on the table, in the event that you might want to add more of it while the sprouts are on your plate.

If you cook the sprouts until they are soft all the way through, it removes that bitter taste that they have, and once that bitter taste has been removed, adding the corn oil and garlic salt replaces that bitter taste.  This method can be used for a number of vegetables, and is not just for brussel sprouts.  It works for broccoli, cauliflower, corn, mixed vegetables, etc.  Once you taste it, you will be able to think of other vegetables that it will work with.  If you wonder why using corn oil instead of light olive oil is preferred, well, olive oil will work, but keep in mind that corn oil tastes better because, most margarines are made from corn oil.  I think if you try it, you'll like it.

Edited by Hammer

meyery2k

Hmm...  I might have to rethink canned asparagus as I have not generally had good experiences with it.

Kit

I grew up on canned vegetables almost exclusively.  My mother is utterly incapable of eating green beans that haven't been canned.

We didn't have it often because it was expensive, but when we did, we'd always make creamed asparagus.  Not the same as my recipe above.  It was the usual rue with liquid from can and milk.  Replacing the flour and milk with heavy cream works well.  Reducing the can liquid first is important though.  Cream can do a lot to thicken, but it has its limits.

Carol_42

I love brussel sprouts and add them to beef and chicken stews, or cook as a side vegetable dish.  I add lots of fresh chopped garlic, butter, and salt when I cook them on the range.  But if you don't like them, why force yourself to eat them?  I honestly don't know how you can mask the flavor or consistency of these cute little darlings.  They are what they are.  And if you cook them just through they won't turn into mush.  Eat cooked cabbage instead.  Just saying ... <smile>

Edited by Carol_42

ran23

As a child I was taught to eat everything on my plate.  I also learned not to share what I had for dinner with my friends.  Brussels Sprouts, Liver and onions, Abalone, no one on my block ate like I did.   

Kit

This conversation got me craving today.

20180305_124022.thumb.jpg.2af96c304974cfda1f9df2edb306c6f7.jpg

Brussels sprouts, garlic, butter, a little paprika, and Mrs Dash Onion and herbs seasoning cooked in the microwave because I was too hungry to wait for it in the toaster oven.

Oh and a little handful of spinach wilted in the last 90 seconds.  :)

Served with a baked chicken thigh (not pictured).

Edited by Kit

adiantum

We grew most of our vegetables  although a F & V truck would come around once a week.

I was just a small child so some things mother said went over my head.

All fruit or vegetables bought from Mr M had to be washed thoroughly so we didnt catch Mr.M's germs.

Mother simply said Mr M always had a cold from getting out of a nice warm bed and going home.

So we washed everything throughly.

We only ever bought canned asparagus & only at xmas, so it mustve been expensive.