Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

princesslinda

Brussels Sprouts

JohnSchroeder

I hated them until I ate them pan fried in bacon grease.  We toss them in the food processor to slice them up.  Fry the bacon in the pan, remove bacon, fry the sprouts and add the bacon back in.  Use peppered bacon too.  Delicious.

OneEye

It seems here...that as long as they don't taste like Brussels sprouts they're okay. I think that's like fixing up cauliflower so it makes you think it's mashed potatoes. *Anthony Bourdain eye roll* <_<

Hammer
3 hours ago, OneEye said:

It seems here...that as long as they don't taste like Brussels sprouts they're okay. I think that's like fixing up cauliflower so it makes you think it's mashed potatoes. *Anthony Bourdain eye roll* <_<

This is true, but it's true of a lot of things.  I never realized this until a friend mentioned it to me many years ago.  She asked me if I liked coffee, and I said yes, I like it with cream and sugar, and she said, oh, then you don't like coffee.  I asked her what she meant, and she said, when you add cream and sugar, you have totally changed the taste of coffee, so if you don't like black coffee, then you don't like coffee, you only like coffee that has been altered to just have a slight taste of coffee.

I like plain liver, but I really like if it's covered with brown gravy that contains fried onions.  The brown gravy hides the strong taste of liver, so people who only like liver with brown gravy, don't like just plain liver.

Kit

By the same logic, you can't like anything unless its eaten entirely raw.  Seasonings change flavor.  Cooking changes texture and flavor.  Different methods of cooking can have different affects.

If you don't like 100% dark chocolate (baking chocolate) then you don't like chocolate.  You just like the sugar, milk, and other things that can be put into it.

If I prefer green beans with salt on them, does that mean I don't actually like green beans?

Hammer

Kit, that was my argument with my friend.  I asked her if she liked corn on the cob, and she said that, yes she did.  I asked her if she ate it plain, or if she put butter and salt on it, and she said that yes she did.  So I asked her, if you need to add butter and salt to it, does that mean that you don't like corn, without butter and salt, which alters the taste of corn? n She thought about for awhile, and she said that, she also likes corn without butter and salt on it, as do I, so she said that, while she likes corn with butter and salt on it, she also likes it plain, so she likes corn.

adiantum

I watched a TV  cooking show in which they had deep fried brussel sprouts.

I'd never heard of that before.

The meal looked disgusting to me, but the cooks did get rave reviews .

They deep fried the sprouts & drained on kitchen paper before mixing them in with a lentil salad.

https://au.tv.yahoo.com/shows/my-kitchen-rules/recipes/r/39479414/my-kitchen-rules-recipe-alex-emilys-roasted-bone-marrow-with-brussels-sprouts/

Bearski
On 3/2/2018 at 8:53 AM, princesslinda said:

I really, really want to like Brussels sprouts, but it's just not happening.  I've boiled them and roasted them with olive oil and S&P, I've even shredded them on a mandolin and added butter and lemon.  Still not loving them.  Any ideas on how to make them not taste so much like Brussels sprouts ;)?

Cut in half and add olive oil and sea salt to them in a bowl. Toss to coat. Oven to 375. Put on a sheet pan flat side down. Let roast for 30 minutes. Remove from oven. Drizzle with olive oriel and a touch of honey. Sprinkle with a little Garam masala and toss. Enjoy!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.