Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kit

Need help with replacement ideas for leeks

Kit

So, I have been drooling over this recipe lately

https://meatified.com/creamy-leek-salmon-soup/

It looks great until you realize that it calls for 4 leeks, there are 4 servings in the recipe, and leeks average about 13g carbs per leek.  That is just a little too high in carbs for me.

So I was thinking.  Maybe go with 2 leeks for the flavor and replace the other 2 with something different.  But I'm not sure what.  Maybe celery?  or something else?  Or a combination of celery and something else?

Anyone have any ideas?

adiantum

scallions or spring onions as theyre called here,  would be a great alternative.

Is salmon expensive where you are ?

Its just over $16 a pound here

Kit

It completely depends on the type of salmon (King, Copper River Sockeye, Coho, etc), whether its farmed or fresh, etc.

We can also catch salmon here in the Puget Sound, so its possible to walk down to a market and get caught fresh that day.  Or catch them yourself.  Because of this we tend to be salmon prudes.  No farmed, none of that Atlantic crap.  :)

http://wildsalmonseafood.com/page/uvj/Seafood_Price_List/Wild_Salmon.html

Here's a sample of a current price list

$23/lb for fresh wild caught King.

$11/lb for fresh wild caught Sockeye

$10/lb for Coho frozen at sea

I've no clue the prices at the local grocery stores as I haven't looked recently.

For a dish like this, I would be happy to use frozen, but still prefer wild over farmed.

adiantum

Dallas must be the city of connoisseurs   with prices like that.

I hate those factory ships  so prefer farmed fish, but I think ours are atlantic salmon.

Theyre farmed in Tasmania where its  colder down there.

The colder climate might be why  you have such a variety & better prices Kit.

Kit

Farming has its own problems to both health of the fish and the environment.

http://www.thenibble.com/reviews/main/fish/seafood/wild-salmon-vs-farmed-salmon.asp

We've a number of native pacific salmon species here in the Puget Sound area.  Not counting fast food stuff, it is the most common seafood found on local menus.

Kit

I'm trying to avoid additional onions for the same reason that 4 leeks is too much.  Too many carbs.  Halving the amount should work without loosing flavor, but I still want the bulk.

Current throughts

Celery - though not alone.  2 leeks worth of celery is a LOT and I don't like it that much.

Spinich - ok, I have a thing for spinach, I admit it.  At least its low carb and good for me at the same time.  :)

Zucchini - boring in this case but a staple.  I worry in a soup it will just become soggy

Radish - as per a different thread. 

Mushrooms

I'm thinking a mix of some of the above should work well while keeping carb count down.  Currently leaning towards celery, spinach, and mushrooms.  Maybe radishes.

meyery2k

Yeah radishes and maybe some cauliflower.  Sort of a "everything but the kitchen sink kind of thing"  Cabbage maybe (not too much).

dowling gram

I don't know if your recipe calls for salt. If it does you could replace it with onion salt for more onion flavor. Chives have a mild onion flavor at 4.35 carbs for 100 G. If you use these I'd just sprinkle them on the finished soup. I don't think I'd like the soup with everything but the kitchen sink in it. You'd kill the flavor of the salmon and you do need the onion flavor. I wonder haw many carbs there'd be if you put some leeks in a cheese cloth bag and drop in the hot broth before you added anything else to infuse the broth with onion flavor. You could then discard them when the soup is done

dowling gram

On busy days I used to make a fast supper dish with canned salmon, onion flakes salt and pepper and peas in a white sauce. I used to serve over home made tea biscuits. Now that I live alone I adapted it to low carb. I simmer whipping cream until it thickens Then add the canned salmon minus the skin, bones and juice. I add just a few peas (frozen) and salt and pepper. Remove from the heat and add chopped chives. I don't make tea biscuits any more but it's a good fast meal without them. I've never tried it with any other vegetable because peas just seem to go so well with salmon

Kit

@dowling gram, I can't remember if it was you or another that once posted a biscuit recipe very close to the one I like.

http://nobunplease.com/zesty-cheddar-biscuits/

I've found that this works great with a lot of different cheeses and anymore I leave out the garlic powder all together unless I want that flavor.  It worked well with biscuits and gravy.  Might also work well with your salmon dish.

As for the Salmon and Leek soup recipe, I think I'm leaning towards celery, spinach, and mushrooms.  I considered radish but I actually want to avoid the feeling of something like potato here.

It will have to wait until I feel like making it, but up side.  Meeting Mr Fuzzy's side of the family tonight for FiL's birthday.  And the place we're going has grilled salmon.  I get fish tonight and I don't have to cook it.  Yay.  :)

Kit

Glycemic index, at least on me, really isn't all that accurate. Fiber also affects my numbers so I can't really do net carbs either. 

It can be annoying but I still end up eating more vegetables (and more varied)  than the vast majority of Americans. :)

dowling gram

Thanks Kit but I don't like cheese biscuits so it wasn't me who posted that recipe. I never did like cheese biscuits even when they were made with flour. I do love my fluffy melt in the mouth biscuits and I loved them as a sweet biscuit with raisins but they are not in the cards anymore so I don't give them a thought unless something brings them to mind. Then I tell myself my feet are more important than what goes in my mouth and they are soon forgotten

Kit

Well I made this today with all of my adjustments.

First off, I halved the recipe.  I'm not a fan of warmed up fish, so I didn't want left overs.

Creamy Leek and Salmon Soup

1/2 lb salmon

4 cups fresh baby spinach leaves (or just over 4oz spinach leaves)

4oz sliced white button mushrooms (quartered would work too)

1 leek (approximately 60g usable leek)

3/4 cup heavy whipping cream

1 large clove garlic (or two small)

1/2 tsp dried thyme

2 Tbsp avocado oil

Macros (2 servings)

Fat - 40g

Total Carbs - 13g

Fiber - 4g

Protein - 30g

Saute the mushrooms along with the garlic and leek.

Add spinach when you add broth.

It was pretty good and a very generous serving size.  Might be able to make this three servings, especially if you desire to add something like a lc friendly biscuit or similar.

Kit

Bah, I forgot to list I used 3 cups seafood stock

I've also been thinking I bet it would be a nice flavor to use ghee instead of the avocado oil.

So I made 2 servings worth.  Had one for lunch and the second for dinner.  Yeah, even that mild reheat is a little too much for the salmon.  Well not too mild.  I admit, I am passionate about boiling hot soups.  I just adore really hot food.

Today I decided to test myself at lunch.

Before lunch:  80

Two hours after lunch:  89

Was very satisfying on this cold fall day.  I do think making this three (or six for a full recipe) servings gives me wiggle room to fit in one of those biscuits I make.  I think that might work well.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.