Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LCD

Counting Calories

LCD

Is it important to count calories when trying to lose weight? To lose one pound of weight, you must eliminatee 3.500 calories.  If you elimite 500 caloriess per day, this would amount to losing one pound per week.   If your goal is to lose 5 pounds in a month, that would be like losing 1 pound every 6 days, or if you goal was to lose 10 pounds a month that would be like losing 1 pound every 3 days.  I know everyone is different and depending on how much you weight and have much to lose, along with many other factors will influence your progression.

I have been restricting my calorie intake along with intermitted fasting and I have seem to do well.  But some times, I stay at the same weight for 10 - 12 days and then drop a pound or two the next couple of days.  Other weeks, it is 2-4 days and then a drop, steady for a couple of days, and then drop again.

What is your expeience or thoughts?

meyery2k

I needed to lose weight.  I used to weigh 313 pounds.  I lost over 100 pounds and it took about 1 year to lose it.  This decision was spurred by my initial diagnosis of diabetes so I had to really retrain myself lose weight and get glucose under control.  Calorie counting was instrumental to me.  I tried to consume 1500-1800 calories a day and walk 10,000 step or more.  Progress was slow yet steady and there would be period where there would not be much change and then I would lose.  At first, it seemed like I was always hungry but after about a month I adjusted to my new diet.

It is a long term goal so patience is necessary.  Calorie counting taught me portion control.  I was measuring food diligently.  Now that I am at my target of 205-210 and have maintained this for over one year, I have relaxed on calorie counting.  I know my portion sizes now but I still measure cheese and nuts because I will overindulge even now.

I exercise vigorously now that I am able to.  I estimate that I now consume about 2500 calories a day.  Another thing I find helpful is to not hang around the house and watch TV or play video games too much.  That seems to lead to overeating even now.

adiantum

That is great advice & one i should adopt again.

I lost a lot of weight when I kept busy out of the house away from the kitchen.

2 hours ago, meyery2k said:

Another thing I find helpful is to not hang around the house and watch TV or play video games too much.  That seems to lead to overeating even now.

Kit

Actually, if I'm playing a really good game, I can forget to eat entirely, or eat a bare minimum so I can get back into it.

But the root of what Mike said basically drills down to boredom eating.  I find keeping my mind and hands busy will pretty much eliminate that completely.  My real weaknesses are those long work afternoons.  We're rushing to meet a deadline but there are problems.  Builds failing, or things just aren't working right.  I can't really get off into a new project as I need to switch focus at a moments notice.  So I fiddle with small tasks, waiting, bored, etc.  I try to avoid extra snack type stuff at work for that very reason.

Yes, counting calories is helpful.  It helps identify where you might be eating more calories than you expected, where you can make adjustments, etc.  i got nailed with this recently.  My weight has been pretty stable for the last 2-3 years now.  However, I managed to gain some weight over the course fo a few weeks.  Why?  I was playing with fat bomb recipes.  And of course, when you are testing recipes, you have to try them out!  Once I noticed the weight gain, I did some math and realized I was consuming almost 900 calories per day more than I usually would.  Yeesh.  Doesn't matter how keto you eat.  You eat too many calories, you gain weight.  :)

Stalls during weight loss are pretty normal.  Unless it goes on for a significant period of time, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.