Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

prateek027

Expected but Unacceptable results

prateek027

So its the result time again. When I went to the lab for testing I knew that I have not done well for last few months, be it my diet or exercise. I kind of expected these results. 

My A1c is 6.0, it was 5.8 last time and last four have been below 6. Since i was expecting I was not shocked to see these number and have already started working on bringing them down. I am more worried about my lipids both LDL Cholesterol(145 mg/dl) and triglycerides(163 mg/dl) went up at least by 20 and 40 points respectively. My doctor is asking me to take medicine for bringing them down but I don't want to do that and want to bring them down by diet and exercise.

Please let me know if that is the right thing to do at this point of time or I should listen to my doctor and start taking medicine for bringing cholesterol down.

Right now I am taking Januvia 100 MG.

Thanks in Advacne!!!

adiantum

An A1c of 6 is still pretty good  but I can appreciate you being disappointed  with it going up  a little.

I and many others have been through nightmarish side effects from statins  which are the meds for cholesterol so I'd increase your exercise & hope that the next test it will be lower.

meyery2k

That is a tough decision because it seems like once they have you on meds, they are very reluctant to discontinue.  There might also be side effects when you stop taking them.

I won't offer advice per say but, if it was me, this would be my thought process...

I had good lipids.

I slacked off a little on diet and now my A1c and lipids are elevated past where I would like them.

I plan to tighten up on the diet for a better A1c.

Since it takes about 3 months to see what the real change on the A1c would be, I would wait and see what my lipids do.  If they trend downward, I would then go another 3 months.  Perhaps I would not need medication or less of it.

In my real life experience, when my daughter visited last year, I loosened up on diet a little and my A1C was 5 after consistent 4's.  I knew I needed to knuckle down on the diet and exercise and, sure enough, the A1c dipped below 5.  

That would be my opinion. ~ Mike

keenast

I'm in a somewhat similar situation - while my AC1 is still good at 5.2 my lipids ain't that good and actually went up a little.  I don't take any medicine and my doctor doesn't like that obviously but I still hang in without. I'm pretty tight on my diet and won't even know what to change re lipids!

dowling gram

I have told my doctor that I will never take a Statin drug so cholesterol never even enters the picture. She doesn't even ask for a lipid panel when testing my blood. There are just too many bad side effects to Statins and there is no proof that high cholesterol causes heart attacks. For years doctors have gone by the faulty science of Ancel Keys. Look him up and look up the side effects of Statins before you decide to go the medicine route.

Kit

Here is my personal, non professional opinion.

I have a family history of bad reactions to statins, primarily muscle wasting.

There is research that shows low cholesterol doesn't directly correlate to a lower chance of heart attacks.  In fact, for post menopausal  women (which of whom I am approaching), it increases their chances.

I see no reason why you can't delay, see if lifestyle changes doesn't help the situation.  If it does, then great, push through and see if those changes can't get you to where you want to be.  If not, then you can reconsider.

keenast

I just started reading the book 'cholesterol is not the culprit'  - not a terrible easy read - gonna take me a bit!

prateek027

Thank you so much guys for your valuable advice and that is what I really like about this group. More than anything else you are the ones who helped me achieve such numbers when I was down and out struggling with 12.9 A1c 1.5 years ago. I will definitely work this out without medicines and have already started working on this.

georgepds

Just a reminder... Heart disease kills most T2 diabetics...might consider this before abandoning meds to control ldl

Carol_42
On 3/2/2018 at 8:33 PM, dowling gram said:

I have told my doctor that I will never take a Statin drug so cholesterol never even enters the picture. She doesn't even ask for a lipid panel when testing my blood. There are just too many bad side effects to Statins and there is no proof that high cholesterol causes heart attacks. For years doctors have gone by the faulty science of Ancel Keys. Look him up and look up the side effects of Statins before you decide to go the medicine route.

I'll never take a Statin drug, either.  Also doctors have differing views on lipids and what is high and what is not.  And some doctors are "prescription-happy".  At least that is what I found out a few months ago.   I reported my EX-GP because she is clearly obsessive-compulsive when it comes to over-prescribing Meds and over-diagnosing, period.  Last time I saw her, I felt like I was in a horror movie,  passing under her neurotic magnifying glass. 

Diet and exercise should always be the first choice when beginning a program to lower lipids levels.  But then, I feel the need to say, everybody has their own metabolism, and perhaps we should all get 2nd and 3rd opinions from doctors in the field. 

I forgot to mention: if you want to lower lipids, eliminate all processed foods from your diet.  That means no more bacon and frozen sausage.  I've also (pretty much) eliminated cheese from my diet.  At least I don't eat it daily like I use to.  But this is just me.  Everybody is different.  "We all have our own cross to bear."

Carol_42
On 3/2/2018 at 8:45 PM, keenast said:

I just started reading the book 'cholesterol is not the culprit'  - not a terrible easy read - gonna take me a bit!

You definitely raised my curiosity, so I went looking for data on the subject, and here's what I found.  Amazon has the book.  It looks for an interesting read.  thank you for sharing this information with the group.  ~Carol

Cholesterol Is Not the Culprit: A Guide to Preventing Heart Disease
Fred A. Kummerow, PhD with Jean M. Kummerow, PhD

"Kummerow is particularly critical of efforts to lower cholesterol. He points out that by taking drugs to lower cholesterol, the capacity to make new cells needed by our bodies is diminished. Normal cholesterol in our food and bodies is not the culprit, but oxidized cholesterol—created by polyunsaturated oils and encouraged in diets low in protein, natural fat, vitamin D, B vitamins and magnesium, is the villain in the process that leads to hardened arteries and heart disease."

Carol_42
On 3/2/2018 at 4:14 PM, meyery2k said:

That is a tough decision because it seems like once they have you on meds, they are very reluctant to discontinue.  There might also be side effects when you stop taking them.

I won't offer advice per say but, if it was me, this would be my thought process...

I had good lipids.

I slacked off a little on diet and now my A1c and lipids are elevated past where I would like them.

I plan to tighten up on the diet for a better A1c.

Since it takes about 3 months to see what the real change on the A1c would be, I would wait and see what my lipids do.  If they trend downward, I would then go another 3 months.  Perhaps I would not need medication or less of it.

In my real life experience, when my daughter visited last year, I loosened up on diet a little and my A1C was 5 after consistent 4's.  I knew I needed to knuckle down on the diet and exercise and, sure enough, the A1c dipped below 5.  

That would be my opinion. ~ Mike

Mike~ I like the way you offer advice in "bite-sized chunks" for others to more easily understand.  That really is the best no-threat-appeal-approach to helping others manage the complications of this disease. Thanks.  ~Carol

prateek027

After I told my doctor that I will not be taking any medicine for cholesterol my doctor asked me to take Red yeast rice 1200 mg/day for cholesterol and said its a natural supplement and not a medicine. 

Is it safe to take red yeast rice supplement or will it have side effects like other cholesterol medicines. I am still thinking of avoiding any supplements or medicines to lower my cholesterol.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.