Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

princesslinda

That fun moment...

princesslinda

Just had that fun moment where you go to test your blood sugar, not realizing your monitor depth setting has accidentally been changed to a 7 rather than the 2 you usually use.  I nearly nailed my pinkie to my desk.  OUCH!  Good reading, so perhaps I just needed to lose a little blood to get things going this weekend.

dowling gram

Wow! I didn't know they made lancets that go to 7. Mine only goes to 4 and that's pretty deep. I used it once by mistake and never again. I had a sore finger for a few days. Now I always look before I prick. Bet you will too

meyery2k

My PCP and I have discovered that my hemoglobin is always just below what is considered "normal".  He was concerned and ran labs on me.  My iron came back solidly within "normal" which would rule out a slow bleed internally.  Apparently some people run a little low.  I joke that I am a quart low but running fine.

Nothing to do with lancing a finger, I know, but the quart low came to mind while reading this post.

To get back on topic, I found that I hate the Relion lancers.  They punch my finger way to hard.  The One Touch Delica is the way to go for me.  "5" will give  a walloping though. 

princesslinda

The Delica is the one I use as well.  Must have accidentally changed the setting putting it back in my case.  I will absolute look the next time though.

Kit

GUILTY!!!!!

I use the Delica and I have accidentally moved it to 5 a few times.  Finger piercing anyone?  :)

princesslinda

Fortunately I test on the side of my finger or I'd have issues typing, for sure.  After 12 years, one would think I'd be an expert by now, lol. Keeps me humble!

Tony

My son who is three and a half I guess I gave him my back up the meter(everything is his). My lancet device broke so I had to use his which is the  Delica. I changed the setting from one to 7. When I was done I put the lancet back into the draw with his meter. A month or so goes by he wants to test his blood so I say ok not realizing the lancet is set to the highest setting. I have to say he handled that pretty well he cried briefly and that was it. I felt bad. I want him to be comfortable testing his blood in case if someday gets diabetes. I explained to him I had to use his lancet device at the highest setting. He understood but, wasn't happy I used his lancet device. 

I have done the same many times but change the setting from 7 to 1.

Hammer

I have several different lancing devices, and I need to set them to the highest setting, in order to get enough blood for a test.  If I try to lance one finger, and I can't get enough blood, then I'll place the lancing device on a different finger, and push it harder against that finger so that the lancet will penetrate farther into the finger.  Oh, and I also use the thicker lancets.

Gladtobehere

Yep.  ME TOO.  Crank it to MAX and let it do the deed.   It only really hurts when the lancet is about 2 months old.  I have seen that many seniors have almost transparent skin . Although I can't be sure  I would image that type of skin is very thin.

I guess some of us old guys are just thicker than the ladies.

Probably just another milage issue. I also have no problem believing that guys hands are just rougher and more calloused in general.  I know mine are from years of handling circuit boards ang getting splinters from wood, metal filingand very fine wire.

Kit

From previous discussions, the 33 lancets are pretty popular.  They don't work for me though.  Even with the deepest setting, I get little to no blood.  With the 30 gauge ones, I can always get blood at the second shallowest (2) and sometimes with it set to the shallowest.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.