Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dowling gram

Tree nuts help colon cancer-do they help diabetes too

dowling gram

I was watching CBC news and there was a segment on this study. I'm usually suspicious of studies but this one looks legit. They followed over 800 patients in stage 3 colon cancer for 6 years. There were no other changes to diet or regime. The only requirement was that they eat 2 servings of nuts that grow on trees per week--as opposed to peanuts that are not true nuts. The result was a 57% survival rate compared to those who didn't eat nuts. You can read the full study below.

I know we often sub nuts meals for flour and eat nut butters and nuts for a snack. I wonder if that helps with our control and or insulin resistance or are we just eating nuts because they are filling and low carb with nutrition. I also wonder what other cancers and diseases they could help. I'm not about to change things to find out but it's food for thought.

http://www.futurity.org/colon-cancer-eating-nuts-1692952/

meyery2k

I have come to appreciate tree nuts through cycling and this latest TJ Maxx project.  Sometimes it is not possible to break away to eat or there is nowhere close by to eat when on the road.  I carry some almonds or Mac nuts as an emergency stash.  If I get hangry (or just regular hungry), a handful takes care of that.

I was flagging badly one afternoon at TJ and stopped to eat a handful of mac nuts.  Within 10 minutes I was chugging along strong again.

It makes sense, I suppose, since our ancestors way back when would have consumed nuts when we were hunter/gatherers.

Kit

Chimps will consume nuts as well.  The adults teach the young ones how to crack them open.

Nuts have saved my rear more than a few times when travelling.  Now I won't leave for the airport unless I have a few ounces of nuts on me.  Not preferred as a meal replacement, but when you're stuck in an airport over night, haven't eaten in 12 hours and its another 6 before anything opens, its good to have them to lean on.

Downside to nuts, they are way too convenient in regards to boredom eating.  :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.