Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LTParis

Oh the fun of diabetes.

LTParis

Apparently, the forum had a big migration since my old threads from 2009 are long gone. So let me reintroduce myself. :)

I initially became aware of my diabetes late 2009, just before my 35th birthday. I started to black out from driving after a year of long NY to DC commutes, being sedentary, drinking sweet teas (but no sodas, kicked that habit years before), and poor eating habits. At the time my A1c was 12.5, immediate blood sugar readings above 400. After metformin, a very strict low-carb diet, and nearly daily exercise, I got things under control even to the point I was able to discontinue the metformin.

Until I didn't. 4 years ago just after my 40th birthday I started to feel unwell and my blood sugar crept back up. 14.1 A1c. I fell into a lull of false security where I was taking far fewer readings. The doctor added Victoza, went back on metformin, two months later I dropped back down to a 7.2 A1c. Stayed on that combo.

Then a couple weeks ago, took one of my far fewer than I needed to take readings and my blood sugar was back up to the 350-400 range. A1c at 12.4. What sucks is now my body must have been getting accustomed to the high blood sugar levels because I didn't feel ill at all. Now I am on glip, metformin, and Victoza. Add to that the doctor insisted that even though I am presenting no heart issues, to play it safe and put me on lisinopril and atorvastatin. 

It took me just 5 days to get back to a somewhat normal range although I have some slight concerns. First I am back to eating fewer carbs (< 150) and exercising at least 3-5 times a week. My blood sugar started at 135 and crashed to 68 by the end of the day, to the point I was shaking. I am wondering if I just need to bump up my carb intake a little bit to not make a habit of getting low. 

Oh the fun of diabetes. 

dowling gram

68 is not a low. 40 and below is a low. What you are experiencing is a false low. When your BG is high and then drops your body doesn't know the difference between that drop and a low so you get the symptoms of a low but not the outcome of a true low. It will even out in time if you stick to the road you are now on. If you add more carbs you will be back to where you started. In fact if it was me I'd cut my carbs even further and get off some of the stuff you are taking. Diet is the best way to lower your BG not adding more meds.but of course you know that.

My motivation for keeping low carb is the pictures of all the complications you can get from out of control diabetes. I know it's hard but oh so worth it.

Dave_KC

That's rough @LTParis, but it's good to have you around again.  I'm much newer, so it's good to meet you.  

I'm currently aiming for < or = to 30 grams of carbs a day which has done wonders for my numbers.  I can't guarantee that'll help on yours, though.  

The Doctor's office has kept me on lisinopril since shortly after diagnosis with an A1c of 12.6.  Last check it was 5.0 without any meds otherthan Lisinopril.  

Hope you're able to get things under control. 

meyery2k

LT - I hope you can get a handle on this.  Have you been tested to make sure you are not a Type 1.5 LADA?  There can be a honeymoon period that can lead one to believe they are a Type 2.

As far as the diet, I have found that limiting my carbs to 50g or less has been quite successful. ~ Mike

LTParis

My body yesterday say "oh shoot 68 sucks" to the point I had some severe shakes. I guess that having a 1 week swing of 400 > 68 was a big change. :)

I am not going this time for the extreme low carb side (< 50g/day). I did that for three months some years ago and it was very expensive and hard for me to maintain. I've learned that if I can keep it around 100-150g a day or lower it provided me some balance in my diet. I clocked in at 119 just a few minutes ago 1h after my 12pm meal of a salad, chicken, and balsamic vinaigrette. Today I am planning to consume 110g carbs. 

As for Type 1.5 LADA, I don't think they ever tested for that, but I have been diagnosed as Type 2 since 2009. Maybe it's a misdiagnosis? 

georgepds

Good luck on the T2. I had a similar problem last November, FBG ~180.... now down to~ 100

As to low..i think the ADA says 60 is low

samuraiguy

Fuel forward, eat the bulk of your carbs right before you work out.  Because of the Victoza, working out too much at once can cause lows. Break your work outs to 10 minute sessions spaced evenly over the day, you will still get the same benefits.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.