Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

princesslinda

Short fuse

princesslinda

Just had my 54th birthday.  As I'm getting older, I'm noticing I have less patience.  Glad I'm aware of it, as that means I can "temper" my thoughts before they come racing out of my mouth.   I remember my co-workers joking about at what age would we "lose our filter" as we had a few who had definitely lost theirs.

So what about you??? Do you notice that your patience is less as you're getting older?  I absolutely can relate it sometimes to high blood sugars, even low blood sugars, and lets not even discuss menopause symptoms, lol.  My husband will sometimes tell me "you need to eat," which means I've "gotten snappy."  Whether eating is the solution or not, when he says that I realize I'm escalating. 

What are your tricks for keeping your spirits up and temper in check???

I've recently started journaling, a gratitude journal, where each day I find something(s)I am grateful for. Even on my most stressful days, there's always something to write in that book.  As I look back at past entries, I am reminded of how great life is, warts and all, and it helps me.

adiantum

I'm told it was Oprah  that once suggested  to list 5 things for which to be grateful for each night when retiring .

I thought it was an excellent idea but I found 5 was far too few and it became like counting sheep.

These wonderful experiences kept coming up  just like sheep jumping over the barrier.

So, I usually snuggle up & think how fortunate I am.

Loving nature is a never ending presentation of pleasure. Just this morning seeing 5 swans fly overhead filled me with awe.

This universe has presented us with so many wonderful  things to appreciate.

A gratitude journal is a great idea.

Whats this filter & keeping temper in check?:blink:... I must google that :rofl:  

ran23

I'm coming up on 64 years and my wife doesn't share any of my diet restrictions. It was worse when I was on low cholesterol.   sorry, I just realize, I may not have much to share on your thread.  

Hammer

I'm 65, and I think I might have a bit less patience than I did when I was younger, but I'm not sure.  I have always been a very patient person, so maybe I'm not good to use as a reference.  If I'm standing in a long line, I don't get angry at anyone, I just wait patiently until I'm next.  I notice that I now move slower than I did when I was younger, and I think that's a result of being retired.  Once you retire, you realize that there is no need to rush around, trying to get things done.  You slow down and do whatever you feel like doing that day, and if you don't get everything done, there's always tomorrow.  This doesn't happen right away when you retire, it happens over a period of time.  For example, and I'm sure a lot of retired people here will agree with this, you want to go to the food store to pick up a few things, but you look outside and it's raining, so you think, well, I have enough of the things I need for now, so I'll just go to the store tomorrow when it's not raining.

I remember many years ago, I stopped into a McDonald's for breakfast.  As usual, there were the senior citizens there, enjoying their breakfasts, and McDonald's offered free refills for your coffee, so if your coffee cup was empty, you just walked up to a coffee pot they had there on the counter, and refilled your cup.  One elderly man walked up, and the pot was empty, so he started to complain to one of the counter workers there.  The counter worker grabbed the pot, and filled it with water, then dumped it into the coffee machine.  Of course, this took a few minutes and the elderly man was grumbling loudly about having to wait for the coffee.  I just looked at him and wondered why he was in such a rush?  He was retired, he was sitting in a McDonald's, like he did every morning, so he obviously didn't have to be anywhere, otherwise he wouldn't be sitting there, chatting with other seniors for a long time.  Once he got his coffee, he sat back down with the other seniors, and was still there when I left, so it was apparent that he wasn't in a hurry.

Kenton
5 hours ago, princesslinda said:

So what about you??? Do you notice that your patience is less as you're getting older?  I absolutely can relate it sometimes to high blood sugars, even low blood sugars, and lets not even discuss menopause symptoms, lol.  My husband will sometimes tell me "you need to eat," which means I've "gotten snappy."  Whether eating is the solution or not, when he says that I realize I'm escalating. 

This is a weaponized statement. My wife will throw it at me same as a friends wife will do him.

What they are really saying is you know you are being a bit of an ass.

And yes when I am going low I do tend to be ummm difficult at times.

Fraser

Well 72 here old sort of grouch. But I appreciate when my daughter says it is time to eat something, not because I am a pain, but because I a slowing down, not quite connecting..  Yep nice to know they understand.

Hammer
48 minutes ago, Fraser said:

Well 72 here old sort of grouch. But I appreciate when my daughter says it is time to eat something, not because I am a pain, but because I a slowing down, not quite connecting..  Yep nice to know they understand.

Fraser, I had no idea that you were 72, so congrats on making it to that age.  Have you noticed that there are little things that make you angry?  I have noticed that to some extent, so when I realize that, I try to not get aggravated with them, I mean, I'm 65, and life is too short for becoming aggravated with the little things in life, so I try not to get aggravated with the little things.  I realize that I don't have many more years here on Earth, so I don't dwell on the little things, I just want to do whatever I can to help others.  I know that we haven't seen eye to eye on a number of topics, but that doesn't mean that I don't care about people...I do care.  I participate in every HEARS (Hospital Emergency Amateur Radio Service) practice exercises, and I am very active in my radio club's community services.  I want to help others, when a disaster strikes here, and my radio club practices frequently to give us the training we need to help out, in a disaster.

I know that you don't like me, and that's okay, but if there was anything that I could do in your community to help out in a disaster, I would be there to help out....I don't want to create enemies, I just want to help.

dowling gram

Well as a senior I know that sometimes there are more things to make us more angry. Things that younger people don't have to deal with. Some people think that with age comes hard of hearing and feebleness of mind or body so they yell at you or say things like be careful it's slippery outside. I know it's slippery but I made it in (to whatever office) so I think I can make it home.

I hate when receptionists or nurses call me dear or dearie. I'm not their dear and they'd never do that to a younger person. When they do that to me I give them the evil eye and call them dearie right back.

I have a new doctor and they have a procedure that they do with an Ipad. I suppose they have programs for major diseases with questions on how you are doing. Anyway they give me the Ipad with questions about diabetes. I scroll through it and check off all the no's. The last time I was there they had a new receptionist who wanted to go through it with me. I held up my finger and said "no my finger works just fine and so does my brain"

I was waiting for a light the other day and some guy came up behind me and stuck his arm under mine. I presume he wanted to help me across the street but he startled me and I lost my balance. I shook his hand off and gave him the evil eye and told him I could walk just fine by myself. It was one time I wished I had a cane. If I had one he would have some mighty sore toes.

I wish that good Samaritans would realize that teens don't like to be treated like children and neither do seniors. Sometimes seniors have a reason to be short tempered

samuraiguy

I've learned to live more in the moment and realize all getting upset over anything really does is steal my peace of mind and does nothing to affect the situation. My favorite quote is "Positive thinking will let you do everything better than negative thinking will." -- Zig Ziglar. I've also learned to not take things personally; rude, hate filled, stupid people is a reflection of who they are, not me, even if I am the target of their ire.

I have a big incentive to keep calm and be more like a Vulcan as the fluid under my retinas (central serous retinopathy not related to diabetes) gets worse with raised cortisol levels and I have to ask myself, "Is getting upset over "X" more important than my vision?".

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.