Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Moreno

New to Insulin Pump Therapy

Moreno

Finally after about 13 years of having Type 1, my new Endocrinologist recommended I switch to an Insulin Pump from manual injection using Lantus and Novolog with syringes. I admit, with the manuel injections, and checking my blood sugar levels. I could of took way better care of it by checking more often, and taking my insulin shots more often. But anyways, I did my insulin pump training and walked out of the clinic Monday 3/5/18 with it installed. So far, my experience has been really good with it. My blood sugars leveled out way better and I am mostly staying in low-mid 100s range. Besides getting used to setting up my infusion site and refilling reservoir, I am glad I finally switch over to the pump! I am hoping in April when I get my A1C tested, I will be under 6.0.

don1942

Hey Moreno!

Congratulations on taking a step which potentially will improve your quality of life. You should now look into combining it with a continuous glucose monitoring system.

notme

Congratulations on your new outboard pancreas.  You are smarter than I am.  I battled my doctors for years on the pump and it was the wrong thing to do.  

Don is right.  CGM has changed everything for me.  My A1c is 6.8 and for me, that is excellent.  I am pretty stoked.  I have been wearing a pump since about 2000.  

Moreno

So they did send me the CGM as well, but the doctor wants to wait at least a month for me to get used to the insulin pump. But I am excited. I wish they sent me the 670G instead of the 630G as the newer pump features seem a lot better and overall less I would have to manage.

Tony

Hi, Welcome!

You should be able to upgrade to the 670G if. I think they wanted everyone on the 630G first for training purposes. @notme can correct me if I'm wrong.

don1942

My Medtronic trainer also recommended I use the pump for thirty days befor going on the CGM. There is a lot to learn on the pump without having  the additional stress of dealing with the CGM.

I was on the 630 for a year before they upgraded me to the 670. I paid an upfront charge of $199 which will be refunded after training and taking three on line surveys.

Edited by don1942

Moreno

I was told by my rent after my 1st year of using 630G, I can then sign up to exchange for 670G but it will cost me a total of $899.99 to switch over which I can pay in payments of 12 months. Is that normal?

don1942

Did you call Medtronic and enter the option for the priority up grade information line (I believe 9) ?

notme

Moreno, depending on when you got your 630, you might be able to upgrade for free.  I think the cutoff was sometime in Sept of 2017.