Diabetes forums
Sign in to follow this  
Rbubbaray

A1C and spikes

Rbubbaray

Howdy folks ,

Hey folks long time no chat .

To be honest I thought this site closed .. it looked that way last time I visited .." opps this page is missing" , then today I happen to click on a few links and found it ,But it doesn't pull right up like it use to for me in my favorite list .

Plus I have been very disappointed lately of this controlling my D2 thing , last time I posted I was doing great I went from a1c of 10 to 5.7 but I have a feeling my next test wont be so good . the first year controlling this was easier for me and I found a way and methods that help me keep a low sugar count. I am having a very hard time living a carb free or low carb life again and I drive my sister crazy who shops for us.just to hear me complain all the time of what I cant eat like a normal human w/o diabetes .. like Mike said about donuts I feel ya in another post. I hate getting hungry now and wish I could take a pill to feel full . I really miss get a burger on a bun with fries and milkshake or soda.. a bagel with cream cheese in the morning or a stack of pancakes with syrup  . I can not picture myself going on another 20-30 years this way . and I am a good cook I cook for a living and I have a very hard time coming up with ideas lately and sick of living on spinach and chicken , plus eating healthy is a pain and can be expensive and not always fast and convenient..  I don't even go out to eat anymore everything on the menu I like is carbs carbs carbs, before I would have a few beers low carb or wine and I could eat carbs and the alcohol was dropping it for me.. I was able to eat pizza okay and my sugar was below 130.. But I also don't want to kill my liver cause thats not good and lately even after some wine my sugar has been high again .

This morning my sugar was 130 I ate a boiled egg for breakfast and then lunch meatloaf some green beans and about 2 tbsp of potatoes to come home take my reading it was 220.. I don't know what to do anymore. for most part my readings is hardly near 200 or above, but I starve to keep  low readings .

And on top of things my hours got cut at work I don't make enough to see doctors now and I don't have insurance the plans are terrible .. 7000.00 $ deductible yeah wait a minute .

And I was never sure how A1C works ,  take a 24 hour period and for 4 hours of that day its a high count and for the rest of the 20 hrs its a low count , does the 4 hours show up ? I know its a reading of about 3 months .. but what happens during spikes even after those spikes has dropped after a few hours for A1C.

Sorry for a long post but its been a while.. sorry for it not being a very positive happy post after all these months , but I actually got depressed and did not want to engage in diabetes forums , because I know most  posters try keeping a positive vibe here . and like I said The Site looked closed to me a few months ago,and I know there is not much that can be said about the carb thing that we already haven't covered in the past .. but just needed to vent and chat to folks that live a D2 life also  My question is about the A1c with spikes though , which I have no idea .

Thanks Folks hope you are all doing well

Ray

Kit

A1C is basically an average of your BG levels throughout an approximately 3 month period.  So spikes will show up.

Here's a very basic example.

Take the example dataset below

The average is 114.  While there were two over 200, everything else was under 120 and so they weighted less than the two high spikes.  However, the two high spikes did have an affect.  Without them, the average would have been at 95.

How much of an affect your spikes will have on your A1C will depend upon how often you spike and how long you stay there.  It will also depend upon where you normal baseline numbers will be.  

I know you're not asking about diet, but I do have a few comments I want to make.

A big stack of pancakes, donuts, pizza, hamburgers, french fries, milk shakes, etc are not a healthy diet for anyone.

And as you report it, your sister's comment makes me want to smack her.  That is exactly how to make things much more difficult for someone struggling to deal with diet restrictions.

Oh and the spike was likely due to the meatloaf.  Normally recipes are full of fillers such as oatmeal, bread crumbs, cracker crumbs, etc.

$25 will feed me lunch all week and that includes restocking some spices\seasonings.

You say you are a good cook.  Head over to our recipe section and poke around.  There are a ton of great and creative ideas.  I had biscuits and gravy for breakfast yesterday morning.  Under 5g of carbs.

Edited by Kit

stevenal

To find the average of a time varying quantity, graph it out and find the area under the curve and divide by the duration. Any spikes on that curve do affect the area, but if they are skinny and infrequent, they won't affect the area or average by much. So are sharp infrequent spikes harmful if they don't affect A1C? Being a cautious sort, I act as if they do. And a four hour per day high reading will definitely move your A1C. 

I don't let diabetes prevent me from eating out. I can usually find a decent salad on the menu, hold the croutons please. Or ask for extra vegetables instead potatoes or rice.

Why starve? Fat provides satiety with little affect on A1C or blood glucose. Suggest frying your egg rather than boiling it.

Watch out for meatloaf. Many like to fill it with bread or oats and cover it with starchy gravy.

Might also want to consider upping the metformin. 

TX_Clint

I feel your pain Bubba. I figure I'll be good for the next 30 yrs. and then eat whatever I wish. If I last that long, God willing and the creek don't rise. :)

Dave_KC

Without insurance and limited funds, it's tough to watch out for your numbers.  Not impossible, but tough

Rbubbaray

Excellent feedback , Kit no no .lol my sister never said that , she trys hard for me and supports me with my D2 . Im just saying I must drive her crazy .sorry for making it seem shes upset but she isn't, she still buys carbs for her .. but I was able for a while eat a sandwich and still have good numbers , but the last few months the numbers seem higher again if I do , and I guess I just got upset for being a D2 {spoiled} , I really love food and just saying I miss eating normal , I know eating pizza and burgers is unhealthy all the time but now and then would be nice again.

We are lucky for being able to eat meats and cheese and I do fry eggs more then boiling but now I worry more of cholesterol, to compensate for carbs I tend to eat more greasy bacon , fried chicken , wings ,eggs which im getting sick of now there is not to many breakfast options for us . but I also still cook more healthy grilled and sauteed dishes also . but cooking for a childcare and most being all carbs and then carbs in my house , sometimes i just want something already cooked and fast like a sandwich rather then cooking something just for me . If I lived alone and wasn't around these foods I guess it might be easier , is what I am saying .

Great layout Kit of how A1C works , thats what I been doing myself Steven I try to keep each meal under 20 grams of carbs , but hey guess we are better off then having something which is not controllable , I knew a child at the restaurant I cooked at .. poor kid could not have foods come in contact with metals , like cooking utensils or he could die . we use to cook his burger on a plate in the oven  and use a plastic fork to flip it .

For sure David , Just need to see the doctor again .. Thanks clint , nice hearing from you all again .

Just took my readings now and its 89 :) Think my pills need to be upped , I took 2 glipizides and a extra Metformin .But diet is key , my doctor a year ago thought I could go med free once my A1C dropped, but I told him the pills still help .I will check out the menu ideas here also.mmm biscuits and gravy with a little slab of sharp cheddar for more bulk and proteins, or lay a poached egg on top of the biscuit .

Thanks folks

Ray {bubba} 

Rbubbaray

By the way .. were is the recipe page ? I also wanted to add a few things ive been making also .

Thanks

Kit

If you like poached eggs, I make eggs benedict using zucchini fritters in replace of the english muffins.  Extremely good but I suck at poaching eggs.  I don't do it often enough to have the knack yet.

For the biscuits and gravy, I use biscuits made out of Coconut flour, eggs, and cheese.  Primarily cheese.  I make the gravy my frying sausage in crumbles, then adding heavy whipping cream and simmering until its thickened.  Very filling.

Some alternates for breakfast.  left over soup!  Seriously, when I make a big pot of my favorite Sausage and Pepper soup, I always end up eating leftovers for breakfast.  All you have to do is put it in a bowl and nuke.  :)

I know what you mean about just wanting something easy and ready made on those long days when you feel exhausted.  One thing I try to do is cook portions of my meals in bulk.  For example, I often make a big roast or similar on the weekends.  I then have left over meat that I can toss in a skillet with some veggies for a quick meal.  Pork happens to be my favorite (rump roast).  I can thaw some leftovers and toss in a skillet or wok with some zoodles, mushrooms, peppers, onion, cauliflower, broccoli, or other desired vegetables.  Add in seasoning like soy sauce, ginger, garlic, chili oil, fish sauce, etc.  Tastes really good and not much effort.

Or maybe I will make a very large veggie side dish.  I can then nuke leftovers and pair with a simple protein like kielbasa (can be heated with veggies), a piece of deli baked chicken, or similar.

I also keep around a few Atkins frozen dinners.  Not a lot, but I like to always have a few on hand.  For those nights when I come home late and exhausted.

Restaurants can be frustrating, but I have had some luck.  Mexican, I go to fajitas no tortillas or rice.  I just dump the fixings on the hot plate with the meat, onions, and peppers, and ad a little hot sauce.  Eat it with a fork.  I then eat a few of beans but leave the rest.  I mean seriously, do you eat mexican for the tortillas and rice or for the stuff that's usually wrapped in the tortilla?  :)

We went to an Italian place a couple of weeks ago for my FiL birthday.  I ordered Salmon which came with veggies and pasta.  I just asked them to swap out the pasta for more veggies.  It was served to me with the usual veggies (asparagus with a few carrots) and a great big pile of garlic sauteed spinach (which I love with a passion) and the waitress brought me a big thing of herbed buttter.  :)

I do make kind of like sandwiches for myself in the hot months for lunch.  They are inside out.  I get thin sliced lunch meat.  I then spread on some creamed cheese, mixed greens tossed with olive oil, roasted red pepper, and similar and roll it up.  Dip in spicy mustard.  I think I've got a picture of it around here somewhere.

I've also heard of a lot of people using almond or coconut flour breads for sandwiches.  Not exactly the same as regular bread, but I understand the desire sometimes for stuff you can eat with your hands.  I personally prefer coconut flour or a mix of coconut and flax.  I'm just not as fond of the texture of almond, though its one of the most popular.

A friend has told me she is going to make me some peanut butter bread  (peanut butter, eggs, and a few other things.  We'll see how that turns out if she makes it.

Kit
5 minutes ago, Rbubbaray said:

By the way .. were is the recipe page ? I also wanted to add a few things ive been making also .

Thanks

You can get there by going to Forums at the top.  Its a sub section under Dieting and Nutrition for Diabetes.

Or, the direct link

https://www.diabetesforums.com/forums/forum/10-recipes/

dowling gram

You can have pancakes. I make them all the time and they are good. I make my own pancake syrup but you can use Torani syrup. I just find it a little thin. My pancakes are a lot better for you than the flour kind and they are filling.

For the pancakes

2 eggs

1/4 cup almond flour or meal

1/4 cup flax meal (or you can use all almond meal)

1 teaspoon baking powder

cream

oil for frying--I add a bit of butter

Break the eggs into a bowl and beat with a wire whisk. Add the almond and flax meal and baking powder and beat together until combined and add enough cream to make it pancake batter consistency. I use a small gravy ladle to scoop the batter into the pan. I make 3 smallish pancakes at a time--because that's what my pan holds and a smaller pancake is easier to flip

Fry over medium heat until lots of bubbles appear. Flip and cook the other side. I get 6 pancakes from this recipe. I haven't figured out the carb count but I know it's not high

meyery2k

Hey Ray!  Good to see you!  I empathize.  I do.  There are times I am tempted by ice cream, cheesecake, pizza, and so on.  I remember how I was and how far I have come and that is usually enough to pull me through.

It has become a habit to order cheeseburgers or hot dogs without the bun.  It works.  The local burger joint uses high quality vegetables and make a great salad.  Especially when they add the avocado.  I do admit to stealing a few of my guest's french fries when taking people out there.  Just a few.

When my daughter came home from school, we went to the local bakery for cheesecake.  I rode my bike extra miles that day.  Like Dave_KC would say, I run an extra lap around the island.  Yes, I should not eat cheesecake but I compare it to drinking.  If it is a once in a while thing and I don't over do it then I am happily living life.  Back in the day I would have had 3 unhealthy meals a day, THEN cheesecake, and no exercise.

As you pointed out, much of this is mental.

Honestly, the daily fasting we report to one another helps me so much in this regard.  I have accomplished so much with everyone's help here that I would not want to fall down.

Ray - I know you can do this.  I have seen it.  We believe in you.  It is difficult.  We have all had our triumphs and failures.  Remember your triumphs because you will have them again.  Learn from failure and use it to succeed.  As I have often posted here, my wisdom is not that I necessarily know what to do, but I have done things I shouldn't do and basically came here from the process of elimination.

I have missed you and I am sorry that things are not going great but, we are here to help.  We understand and support you.

Rbubbaray

wow you guys are great . god I miss you all , glad to be back :)

The help is second to none . true people that understand and relate to the times we endure or feel overwhelmed .. Kit your info has been outstanding .. let me help you with poached eggs . you want to start the water at a boil then reduce to a medium boil to the point of a soft boil or hard simmer, low enough to not break the egg , but yet high enough to cook it  . heres the secret .. add a little of vinegar to the water this will consolidate the whites to form a good looking egg , cook for about 3-4 minutes for a perfect medium yolk .

There is many variables to cut carbs . I made a lasagna with 0 carbs or very close to zero carbs , How ? I sliced eggplant and lightly breaded them and used that in place of the noddles .. my sister and her boyfriend loved it , and they are not diabetics . but as far as sandwiches etc I guess im still old school . a nice hunk of hard crust Italian bread with a drizzle of olive oil like a brushetta  .. ohh man .. but the ideas posted here sounds marvelous I have to try them .

I also make lettuce sandwiches . instead of bread use lettuce leaves and fill with meats and cheese and spreads .

Kit thanks for the link for recipe ideas.dowling gram I need to try those cakes sounds marvelous , thank you so much , plus cheese cake I believe is decent low carb wise providing what crust we use, but for the filler that should be a low carb snack , just limit the sugars .

Mikeeeeeeeee brother how you been :) you are so right . it is mental , its just sometimes hard to break old habits and me being from RI and being Italian it can be very enduring , RI was a state that really had great foods , and the bread was to die for . But I am dieing to try these recipes and check out that link . those pancakes sounds marvelous , I just cant get over in this day and age were we can send peeps to other planets . that company's can not make a reduced carb pasta and breads that actually tastes good , slicing up squash to make pasta is not pasta im sorry , its not al dente .

Thanks again all for the help and adive :)

Kit

I don't know.  I'm not Italian, and didn't grow up in an area heavy Italian, but zoodles for spaghetti work amazing for me.  I found the trick is to go with the smallest zucchini you can get.  Otherwise they get soggy.  Then saute in olive oil or butter for a few minutes, add in sauce, and cook for a few more minutes.  In all honesty, I'm as happy with those as I am with regular pasta.

Your mention of lasagna reminded me of another recipe I ran across.

Eggplant Involtini

I am addicted to this guy.  He has a very similar approach to cooking as myself and I have built up a huge list of things I want to try when I have the time and energy.  And, you know, anyone who can make you want to try goat's testicles has a way of making things look very good.  :D

This is very much a mental game.  We expect certain things.  Meals have to have starches.  I too used to adore bread.  I even played with making my own.  My favorite was a dense Italian style bread with a thick and crunchy crust.  But one day I had an ea-ha moment.  It hit me.  Do I miss the bread or the purpose the bread played in meals. Like eggs benedict.  Seriously, what purpose do the english muffins play?  Filler and something to soak up the egg yolk and sauce.  So I stuck a couple over easy eggs (that poaching thing again) on a bead of sauteed spinach and there you go.  It wasn't so much that spinach was the answer, but that I realized that often what I missed was for the purpose it played, not for what it actually was.  If I could figure out the purpose I can find something that also fits that niche.  While spinach worked well, the zucchini fritters do an even better job.

One positive side for me.  I get to play with a lot of new foods, new ways of cooking, new things to try, etc.  This helps me keep excitement up.  I always liked trying new things, even when I was a kid.  Going low carb\keto has opened up a whole new aspect to cooking and food which makes me excited.  I'm wanting next on my list to be the fat head dough.  It looks pretty good for pizza (I always liked thin and crispy), but I think they might make excellent savory turn overs.  The possibilities for what to put in them would be limitless I suspect.

I've recently gone on a cauliflower rice\pearls kick.  This weekend I'm planning on making a dish.  Saute riced or pearled cauliflower with some garlic, onion and mushrooms.  When near done, add in some heavy whipping cream and continue to cook until it thickens and makes everything creamy.  Maybe add some chicken bouillon with the cream to give some additional depth to the dish.  I'd likely use this pre made cauliflower hash mix I find in the produce department (my current addiction).  Cauliflower, broccoli, carrot, and green onion.  From my experiments so far, I suspect this might work quite well.  My only big concern would be the seasonings.

Do stick around this time.  Its so much easier when you get positive encouragement from others who understand what you're going through.  If I didn't have somewhere to babble on about my experiments, I might go nuts.  I swear sometimes you guys are the only ones who might be even remotely interested.  :) 

Rbubbaray

OMG this looks amazing .. don't let the toppings fool yas , its all sugar free .

The eggplant one looks good too , I make mine stuffed like a stuffed pepper , minus the rice , I used a sausage cheese filler and chopped peppers and onion , skys the limit for the filler .

Today kind of puzzled me .. I woke at 6 am and took my sugar reading it was 130 , not bad . went to work made a egg and I made for the kids cheese toast. I figured a half slice of the toast is not to bad a whole slice is about 12 grams of carbs so I ate a half slice  , so half of that is 6 , and had my egg at 9 am .

For lunch I made my crew chicken tenders 4 pieces is 10 grams of carbs , I ate 3 . this was at 11:30 am , came home at 1 pm took my reading again it was 183 .. and I didn't even eat 15 worth of carbs .. few months ago I could of ate a whole sandwich and had lower numbers along with a few chips . this is whats baffling me lately seems no matter what I eat my numbers are higher lately . Plus a few months ago I could eat at work a whole English muffin which is like 28-32 grams of carbs and not have a spike . I don't usually take my pills till I get home from work , pills sometimes makes me feel out of it in the early mornings fog headed and tired , and never had a problem till lately with these spikes, so ill have to figure something out .

Thanks Kit for that video he makes some great low carb meals .. dif gonna follow him.

Thanks again folks ,

Ray

meyery2k

Ray - I guess not all carbs are created equal.  If I eat any kind of rice, I spike.  I once had pho and 90 minutes later was at 170.  I never go that high when I stick to my plan.

Poi, which is a pure carbohydrate, by the numbers should be an insane choice for me.  I can eat 1/4 cup (16g carbs) which is a generous serving and not a big deal.  Pacific Island populations are being decimated by diabetes after adopting the Western diet.  Returning to native foods usually results in better results even though some of their foods are carbohydrate dense like poi, breadfruit, and coconut.

If I don't overdo, I can eat potatoes and not have a problem with them.  So, yeah, I am the french fry thief at your table and I do have hash browns on the occasion when I eat breakfast out.

Bread, though, is the same as rice.

I had a small ice cream and was at 130 for 6 hours.  Cheese cake from the bakery and I was at 110 90 minutes later then 98 at 2 hours.  Not great, but not bad so I will indulge in it once in a great while.

While frustrating, it fascinates me.

I find exercise really helps.  When I go on a long bike ride or run 5 to 10K, I can indulge a little more.  I can only surmise that I burn off the glucose as working muscles can uptake and use glucose without insulin.  I have done fried fish and chips and even a foolish coffee concoction that was delicious.  I honestly enjoyed the sugar rush on that one lol...

Rbubbaray

Howdy Mike,

Yes I know different carbs can work differently  , fast acting etc .. but I am speaking about foods I been eating up to about a month ago that did not spike me but now they are . I do cheat and have little bit of pasta or slice or two of pizza now and then and  have been fine till recently . If I drank beers after a carb meal I was averaging numbers like 110 -120 I can live with that .now ive been waking to numbers of 150 etc while fasted after not eating for 9-10 hrs .

I know people think im nuts when I tell them beer drops my sugar .lol or use to , I could eat anything if I had a night of drinking beers and wake to numbers lower then 110 .. wine works really good but I don't like wine to much . but its known that alcohol does drop glucose its the carbs in beer that most called me nuts and do not believe me . but my meter and the A1C at last years doctor appt made him totally amazed at my results , my dad when living couldn't believe it either .. when I showed him a weeks worth of test readings and none was over 130 ... even after eating pizza .

Now I know drinking booze isn't the proper remedy for anything and can do damage to other body organs like the liver etc , but even my liver panel last year came back perfect from my yearly blood tests . my doctor said Ray what ever you are doing keep doing it . but I don't want to always have to drink to be able eat something good and feel like crap for work . I don't know maybe now a reverse thing is happening and what use to work .. doesn't anymore.

yeah excersize is great for everything . but I am on my feet lifting 50 lbs boxes of foods and constant on the go during work on cement tile floor, I come home feeling like I ran 10 miles . I lost 26 lbs since I worked there, part of that is not indulging in cakes and donuts and pasta and good ole foods most people eat . but I know work is not the same as cardio .. were you are working out and doing something that gets the heart rate going constant . but right now my feet is killing me and last thing I can do right now is go walking or something , but excerize is great for Diabetes . My workplace even has a wonderful Gym , but once my work is done I just want to come home , lol but once at home I am a pc junkie and sit most times .

Ok lets see I had a a salad few hours ago with chicken cutlet on top and had a few brews lets see what the test says . 134 well thats much better then 183 .

Thanks for the great reply Mike :)

Kit

My guess would be that your pancreas just isn't able to make as much insulin as it had been doing.  Higher BG levels can actually increase insulin resistance and the stress of higher carb meals along with the glip (if I'm remembering correctly) may have just pushed everything too far.

I have had a few times where my numbers jumped and I didn't know why.  In those cases, I went on a very strict eating plan and upped my testing frequency.  The idea was to control as many factors as I could along with increased testing for data gathering.  It helped me get a better picture of what all was happening that way.

My issues were/are hormone related, but the data gathering method I used could be useful in a lot of situations.

Now by very strict, this means I measured and weighed everything I ate and calculated all of the macros, trying to see a pattern in behavior.

Rbubbaray

Now that makes perfect sense, I do remember when I reported my improved A1C a few told me .. Ray it may not last ..very good point Kit , plus with age things don't work as well and then pills need adjusting and diet ... ive tested myself so much this past few weeks my fingers hurt .lol

Thanks again Kit

meyery2k

Ray - It may be just as simple as not being as strict as you were when you first found things out.  That has happened to me on several occasions.  I will have a few days of elevated (for me) fasting readings which encourage me to knuckle down on the diet and exercise.

I used to strive for fasting in the 80's everyday but allowing myself 90's allows me to eat a little more variety and quantity of food which improves my mood and sense of well being.  My A1c still remain under 5 so this balance seems to work for me.  The reality is that I often read 90+ but I now don't let that bother me like I used to.  I still get the once in a while days where I am a little over 100 and those could simply be liver dumps that I woke up too late for and have caught.  One morning I actually in the course of 30 minutes observed my reading go from 90 to 103 to 117 and I had not eaten yet.  I just woke, brushed my teeth, put my clothes on and got ready for work.  No coffee even.  2 hours after breakfast, back to 90.

Rbubbaray

Mike those are excellent numbers , I am happy under 130 maybe 140 but I like seeing 130 and less .

I did slip and started eating more carbs compared to a year ago , I just couldn't take seeing all the breads and chips and things in my house any longer , but my levels was still pretty decent .. if I started seeing spikes no I wouldn't eat these carbs . I actually thought I was cured till now , seems no matter what I ate in moderation I had decent numbers .

Breakfast is hard for me .. for years I went without breakfast but now I get hungry , and when I work I don't have the time to make many things in the morning to eat , so I take some eggs sometimes to work cause they are fast to make or boil. but I am really getting sick of eggs .lol

everything at my work we cook for the staff is all carbs , bagels , muffins , cereal . and when I am hungry I would eat a half a bagel or English muffin never the whole thing though. I come home early from work , so day time meals I do have time for . I can cook good but im use to the normal meals that most people eat , I am not use of using things like soy and almond milk etc .lol and yes I do miss now and then hitting fast food or something on the go .but I know we all do at times.

I wasn't raised in the most healthy surroundings , my mom never cooked fresh veggies most was canned  , we was raised on pasta , potatoes ,breads,meats  .. and we ate out at Chinese with fried rice , KFC with all the sides etc .. what USA revolves around . my folks and my aunt and uncle were all diabetics , they ate everything BUT had to take insulin . my folk's were not D2 till their late 60s  , my uncle and aunt was Diabetics since they were like 30 , my uncle just died at 82 , my aunt is still living and is 79.. and they ate everything , but I cant I don't have the medical coverage , so I go with the diet to stay away from high medical costs .. If I could afford insulin and eat everything I would ..but thats not really the way to go either . most people with diabetes could not live like us .. most do not follow a diet at all and are always having health complications because of it . I rather pass on pie and keep my feet , walking is more important to me then a 20 minute fix .

Kit
19 minutes ago, Rbubbaray said:

I wasn't raised in the most healthy surroundings , my mom never cooked fresh veggies most was canned  , we was raised on pasta , potatoes ,breads,meats  .. and we ate out at Chinese with fried rice , KFC with all the sides etc .. what USA revolves around . my folks and my aunt and uncle were all diabetics , they ate everything BUT had to take insulin . my folk's were not D2 till their late 60s  , my uncle and aunt was Diabetics since they were like 30 , my uncle just died at 82 , my aunt is still living and is 79.. and they ate everything , but I cant I don't have the medical coverage , so I go with the diet to stay away from high medical costs .. If I could afford insulin and eat everything I would ..but that's not really the way to go either . most people with diabetes could not live like us .. most do not follow a diet at all and are always having health complications because of it . I rather pass on pie and keep my feet , walking is more important to me then a 20 minute fix .

A lot of that sounds so very familiar.  I too grew up on canned veggies.  but then back when my parents were growing up, fresh veggies did not abound out of season, so they canned everything they grew, or bought canned.  This in of itself is not a bad thing, except maybe sodium.  But then a lot of the veggies we ate were starchy veggies like peas, beans, corn, etc.  I suspect my mother would shoot herself instead of giving up potatoes from the way she talks.

As for family, grandmother, 7 of 8 children in my mom's family, numerous cousins.  My brother died on Dec 30th due to a long series of complications from diabetes.

Yes, aunts and uncles and brother ate everything.  And were on increasingly more and more medication.  And all suffered from complications due to diabetes in one way or another.

Its hard with the example of comparison.  They can do it, why can't I?  But you already know and understand that answer.  They really can't.  Its just really slow catching up to them.  And the later the diagnosis, the more you can get the feeling that its not a big deal because they don't have time to catch up to you.

But, for those of us who were diagnosed at an earlier age, its a much bigger deal.  Most aunts and uncles were diagnosed in their 60s.  If someone dies in their late 70s or early 80s from diabetic complications it doesn't seem the same cause they are old and that happens to old people.  (yes, this is how people think, even if it isn't technically accurate.)  My brother was diagnosed in his late 30s.  He was dead at 54.  Not much of a different time frame, but 54 is way too young, especially since it could have been avoided.

And just taking more drugs, more insulin, is not the answer.  If it were, my brother would still be alive

I can so so so understand the breakfast thing.  I am not a morning person and being that productive in the morning before work is very difficult.  In fact I sometimes marvel that I made it to work without killing myself or others on the road.  :D

Sadly I don't have a solution for you, at least the time thing.  I usually keep a 4 pack of Atkins shake by the door for those mornings when I have no time.  The only suggestion I can give are left overs.  Not breakfast food, but left overs from dinner the night before.  Put it in a dish or on a plate the night before then all you need to do is nuke it in the morning.  Depending on what it is, you may not even need to do that.

Half an avocado stuffed with chicken salad or in half a red bell pepper.  Or egg salad on celery.

I like left over soups if I have the time to sit and eat (often don't)

Some people make a porridge out of flax, almond and similar flours.  Never tried one myself though

Lunch meat sandwich in a lettuce wrap works.

I've never tried this one, but someone posted it and I've always kept it in mind.

http://www.travelinglowcarb.com/5068/low-carb-sausage-biscuit-recipe/

Not all fast food is out.

Jimmy John's does an unwhich version of any of their sandwiches.  Basically everything that would go on the sub in a lettuce wrap.  I really like them.  Not a huge pickle fan, but their pickles taste great as well.

Subway will make any sandwhich into a salad.

Chipotle has bowls and salads.  I do a salad, no rice, no beans, and the rest of the fixings as I like.  Sometimes I'll splurge and get a few beans.  The bowl is basically the same thing, only less lettuce and its on top instead of the bottom.

Burger places are starting to do lettuce wrapped burgers too, though I haven't checked too much there.  I have gotten a burger with a side salad and just removed the bun.

meyery2k

I guess I really love protein and eggs.  I don't really get tired of them.  I fry up daikon, zucchini, mushrooms, and onions in the fat from the protein.  I season with curry or salt/pepper/garlic/paprika or chipotle or chili.  I even tried pumpkin spice and it turned out surprisingly good.  I then cook the eggs in butter.  Usually scrambled with cheese but over easy works good with the veggies.

Coffee and almond milk with cream and flavoring.

My daughter bought me an iced tea in a Ball jar so I have taken to putting the coffee, almond milk, and cream in it and making a ginormous beverage.  It is fun to drink and I can flavor it as I like.  I had it with NSA chocolate syrup, vanilla extract, and peppermint extract this morning.

I don't necessarily like to get up and cook but my 2 cats keep me company and my girlfriend has to work early most morning and calls me on the way so that passes the time while I cook.  Between the animals and the girlfriend I have to get up so might as well do something.  The cats start at 430AM with the jumping on me and purring lol...

Rbubbaray

Kit I think we had the same family .lol my mother could not live without potatos when I was a kid me and her would eat 6 ears of corn on the cob each, in the 70s and even 80s not many cared about health we wanted fast easy tasty meals period , June Cleaver was for TV .. people all around me drank smoked and we ate tons of carbs , and fats . I started to smoke cause everyone else did and i felt like the odd ball , now most don't smoke and now I feel like the odd ball once again .lol  54 that is young I am 54 , my barber was early 50s and thin tall very active outdoorsman use to climb trees to cut them down for firewood at 50, he said it best when he told me he became a diabetic , I was shocked because he looked so healthy . He said to his doctor why dont you write me a prescription in big words that says " don't go food shopping " he told me he doesn't want substitutes for food he wants food he was always able to eat and he always said the dam pills don't do crap if they did we could eat everything...so what good are they .

I go to get my hair cut to hear Mark died , heart attack age 52.. im guessing was the D2 because even though he only had it for a few years I think he ate everything . maybe it wasn't the D2 but i know thats a common thing that can happen , but I thought it would take years, guess not . and thats what made me shape up and scared me .

yeah getting D2 at 65 + to me isn't as bad as someone 30 who has many more years left to live to deal with all this , plus most are retired and have medicaid or care and will not change their eating habits and go on the pen like my parents did , (plus as we get older people don't eat as much and don't crave those rich foods as much)..then few years later died from something else like cancer .My dad made it rough for me the last few years he was alive , he would say Ray ill pay go to subway and get some subs for us , Hey Ray go get some fried rice and Chinese food .. dad im cutting carbs I am trying to avoid those foods , Ohh  what the heck he would say they are not gonna kill you , or you can get them for us .. yeah like I want to be in a sandwich place drooling. I would say ok ill go but when my sugar is 400 plus like uncle Joe was his was 1000 once , and always at hospitals , I said ill send you the hospital bill okay , deal ? that changed the subject mighty fast .  and I am not gonna go to a sandwich shop to get salad, when I have that stuff at home , sandwichs taste special from restaurants salads to me all taste the same . I just don't like salad enough to make me go out , unless its a nice salad followed by a club sandwich cole slaw and fries or onion rings , so I stay home .

If I have to cut the carbs im not gonna spend money and go to a restaurant to do so . when I can make a burger on a plate at home , its the whole burger the buns they use and all the toppings that gives them that taste . I go out to get something tasty not to socialize .lol I would tell my dad .

I like eggs also Mike , but everyday now is wearing thin.. there is so many ways to make eggs again if we have the time , omelets is filling and good and you can add so much to them , with a side of meat is a great meal . if I make eggs runny then I want toast .. this is why I boil most now its  easy to do and I don't need bread.

Caffeine I quit over 30 years ago and do not miss it , before I was D2 I wouldn't even drink colas because the caffeine, I get those panic feelings and sweaty just horrible feelings I get bad anxiety attacks to were I have not drove on highways in years , I work a mile away . the only thing I drink is water , milk now and then and few beers , everything else is sugars and caffeine .

You guys are really helpful and have great ideas , even though I know what works for me now and what doesn't, I guess I don't see D2 as a new adventure or a new chapter in my life .. to me its nothing but a pain in the ass road block . ..Like a huge splinter stuck in my foot I can never remove .

Thanks again :)

Ray

Edited by Rbubbaray

meyery2k

Ray - I am glad you are here and are writing what you really feel.  I agree.  I am a positive person.  I try to not let challenges get me down.  I probably come across as some "Rah! Rah! I got diabetes let's see what I can do!" kind of guy.  Yes, for me, diabetes was the catalyst to look at how I was doing things and encouraged me to make those changes.  If I was not diagnosed with diabetes I would not have changed.  Stupid, but true.

I hate having diabetes.  I can be positive and do all the things I have done but it never will change the fact I have diabetes.  I can't talk about it too much with friends or family that don't have it.  They don't want to hear about it.  I am OK with that because I felt the same.  Wasn't interested, too bad, that sucks, got on with my life...

We can come here and discuss what we go through without condemnation and I am glad you are doing this.  It helps to get it out.

Whether T1 or T2, easily controlled or not, diabetes is with us 24/7/365.  Every morning I wake up, I am reminded by this because I test my fasting glucose.  Some mornings it is high for no reason and while I can easily dismiss that in writing the post, those mornings get me down for a bit.  While not as difficult now, I have to watch what I eat every meal.  When I go out to eat it is a gamble because I don't know how the food was prepared.  Sugar or flour in that innocent looking sauce?  Something that should be a simple pleasure like going to the bakery and having a cheesecake with my daughter is complicated.  I want to do this because it is enjoyable.  My daughter would understand and accept that I choose not to but, I still want to do this.  I bite the bullet and go once in a while knowing full well what happens.  Sure, I can exercise and justify this but the bottom line mentally is that I know I shouldn't eat cheesecake at the bakery and that makes a fun activity complicated.

I once explained to my friend that even Thanksgiving sucks.  When I was explaining how I don't eat starches she commented, "more turkey for you".  I sadly replied that while that seems true, too much protein is also converted to glucose.  She then shook her head and said, "that sucks".  It does.

I write this, not to whine, but to emphasize that everyone here goes through this.  You are not alone.  It is not a personal failure on your part.  What we do is difficult.  For many of us it is habit and that helps but it does not make it less complex.  Your last paragraph explains precisely what having diabetes is like no matter how much we sugar coat it with using it as a challenge to better ourselves.

Now that the negative is out, I suppose I also have to look at the other side of this coin with equal clarity.  I believe I will live longer with diabetes.  Carrying 313 pounds around 24/7 is generally not conducive to longevity.  Especially when sedentary.  Diabetes changed that.  I have made many wonderful friends here that I would not have made.  I have done things I never thought possible like ride a bike 116 miles in a day with headwinds and uphill both ways (the 116 miles is true lol).  I look at where I was 2 years ago and I am undeniably in a better state physically and emotionally.  

Diabetes is sure complicated.  I think we can all agree on that.

Stephen Hawkings life experiences are simply humbling to me.  He was one tough dude.  All that adversity and he thrived as best he could.  I can only imagine what he went through when he was at the end of the day.

The best way we can help each other is to realistically discuss what we go through, good and bad.  It helps to see we have in common.

Kit

A few weeks before I was diagnosed as diabetic, my brother went blind from retinopathy.

A year later, he was told he was starting to have kidney troubles.

A year later, he went onto dialysis and was put onto the transplant list.

About a year later, he failed the physical checkup to stay on the transplant list, that he had easily passed the last time.  Calcium buildup in his arteries and heart valves, some of up to 80% and more.  Pulminary hypertension and fluid in his lungs.

About 6 months later he had gangrene in his left foot/toes.  He was septic, c-diff from all of the antibiotics, he hallucinated, couldn't carry on a conversation.  Multiple surgeries to try to improve his circulation.  Eventual amputation of his toes.  Then amputation of his entire foot.

About 6 months later (Dec 30, 2017) he died from a massive heart attack sitting in his wheel chair complaining about what he had to eat for lunch.

You want a difficult diet to follow?  Try mixing diabetes and renal failure.  That is a very difficult diet.  Foods that are pretty safe for diabetics can be high in phosphorus.  Including beans (peanut butter, chocolate too), nuts, and animal protein.  So my brother had to limit his egg, meat, and cheese intake.  In order to keep his protein levels up to hit minimum requirements, he had to take a gel like protein supplement.  He had to take phosphate binders with every meal, but could only take them so often, so no snacking.  But he had to eat more often because he was on a horrible insulin regimen.

Every night my brother had to hook himself up to a machine.  It pumped dialysis fluid into his abdominal cavity where it would sit there at night and then drain off.  It would cycle a few times.  He'd get woken up from drain pain, or if there was a problem with the machine.  Every night for the rest of his life.

All of the above could have been prevented or at least massively delayed.  But it wasn't.  Why?  Because he refused to change.  Like you he stamped his feet like a child, said he wouldn't eat or try new things, insisted that he liked things just as they were, lied, avoided, and similar.  He did that until the day he died.

And he refused to change in ways other than food.  Like me, he loved to read.  But he couldn't because he was blind.  So instead of exploring alternate options.  Things like audiobooks, or larger screen ereaders where you can increase the fonts he absolutely refused to even consider.  He was given this massive gadget that basically took a picture of a book page and displayed it on a screen where you could zoom in.  He'd try to use it, but it was large and unwieldy, and you had to sit in a chair with it on a table to use.  And to be honest was no different than an ereader except you had to scroll the page around to see the words.

I offered to get him a larger monitor for his computer.  He insisted on staying with his current one, insisting over and over and over that nothing bigger would work.  He eventually did get one and it worked wonderfully for him.  But that was near the end and he never really got to use it.

He was a petulant little kid throwing a little tantrum and insisting that he didn't have to change and doing his best to ignore reality

My brother's blindness scared the shoot out of me when I was diagnosed and I approached it in a different manner.

You think its unfair that others can eat all those foods.  That others with diabetes eat all of those foods.  Its unfair for you to walk into a restaurant and not be able to order what you want so you won't do it.

Well guess what.  Life isn't fare.  The universe doesn't give a shoot whether or not you can eat potatoes, bread, or pasta.  The universe doesn't give a shoot weather you live or die.  It doesn't give a shoot how you live or how you die.  It doesn't care about your pain.  About your fear of impending death.  And it isn't going to do shoot to keep these things happening to you.

You are the one to care.  You are the one to take action.  You are the one who can choose to either go through life in the dumps complaining about how its all unfair.  Wanting the pills to be a magic elixir that will just handle everything for you and let you do whatever you want   Or you can take a deep breath, pull up your big boy pants, and say, I will make the best of my situation.  I will accept my limitations.  I will learn to like and enjoy new foods.  My life doesn't center around food.  Its fuel to keep my body going.  Doesn't mean you can't enjoy it, but its important to keep things in perspective.

You complain about not being able to go out to eat but when shown possible actions say you refuse to do so if you can't eat anything you want.  That is a really childish reaction.  You've had time to adjust from the initial shock.  Its time to grow up.

This doesn't mean there aren't frustrations.  It doesn't mean that everything is easy.  And this is a great place to vent about it.  But there is a difference between venting and moving on to just whining.

Edited by Kit