Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

meyery2k

The Internet and relationships

meyery2k

I am a member of a forum that centers on telecom and the challenges we have there.  Much like this site, there is a core group of people that selflessly help others.  I found out that one member passed away unexpectedly.  He was one of the more prominent members.

I have never met him face to face.  We have had a few PM's over some things and we would see each others posts.  He had so much experience and it sure seems like there was never a problem posted that he had not experienced himself.  He could also post the funniest things that we could all relate to in our field.

I find myself grieving as I would for any other friend that I was given this news about.  There is much argument over whether the Internet keeps us apart or brings us closer together.  I used to think it kept us from socializing but have found the opposite to be true.  I would never have met my friend or you guys if it weren't for the Internet.  I simply would not have the valuable friendships that I have today.

Like any tool the Internet can be a powerful force that brings us closer together or can be used to destroy through bullying and other negative actions.

Just some random thoughts over coffee and before I start work for the day.  In closing, I love all my friends here.  My friendships and ties are just as strong whether or not I have met you face to face.

OneEye

I started a Harley-Davidson Tech Forum in 2000. In 2003 the regular members of the forum wanted to get together somewhere in the USA and have what we called a HawgFest; it was here in California. In 2008 it was held in Australia...because Down Under Pete wouldn't have it any other way. You have any idea what it costs to ship a motorcycle to Australia and get a danged International Driving Permit and then ride on the wrong side of the road full of Fosters? 17 did it. Pete was the greatest host. Even took us surfing with the jelly fish. *eye roll*

This year HawgFest is being held at Bonafide Bob's place in Louisiana for the 4th time. His name comes up every year because of his Cajun BBQ. Myself, I think it's a tie between Bob's BBQ and Griz' Texas chili. The photo below was taken at SoftailJoe's in 2008...our largest turnout.

I guess you could say this Internet thing is what you make of it.

HF5A.jpg.9ba2614123d4c714e4bc6a33c5ed0fa3.jpg

notme

I have met so many of my internet friends and have found that I cherish those relationships.  I met people from Rhode Island, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Idaho, Texas and so many other places.   Many will be life long friends.  

I really love the Internet.  

Kit

So . . . 

I had a close friend in collage who ended up transferring to a different school.  We kept in touch on line through email, efnet, and IRC.  (This was back in the early 90s).  One day she she introduced me to a different friend of hers that she called her video buddy (they passed video tapes back and forth of hard to get TV shows and similar).  I didn't really pay all that much attention to him.

Over the course of months we kept running into one another, mostly trying to get in touch with her.  We spoke more and more.  Eventually, he proposed, I said yes, we cornered her and told her she had to be our maid of honor.  Needless to say, my parents just about had a fit.

We did marry.  She was our maid of honor.  That was 23 years ago.  :)

I've met so many people from all over the world.  Its kind of odd, but I've had friends who live in nations where we were fighting.  It makes you look at things in different ways when the "enemy" is someone you spent six hours babbling with about books and tv shows and other things we had in common.

Its easy to hate someone when they are faceless.  Its much harder to do so when you know their hopes, fears, and dreams.  When you've had long serious discussions, giggled about silly things, argued over whether or not G'kar's speak was over done or excellent, and similar.  :)

Ha!  And what an example.

buddy7
4 hours ago, Kit said:

So . . . 

I had a close friend in collage who ended up transferring to a different school.  We kept in touch on line through email, efnet, and IRC.  (This was back in the early 90s).  One day she she introduced me to a different friend of hers that she called her video buddy (they passed video tapes back and forth of hard to get TV shows and similar).  I didn't really pay all that much attention to him.

Over the course of months we kept running into one another, mostly trying to get in touch with her.  We spoke more and more.  Eventually, he proposed, I said yes, we cornered her and told her she had to be our maid of honor.  Needless to say, my parents just about had a fit.

We did marry.  She was our maid of honor.  That was 23 years ago.  :)

I've met so many people from all over the world.  Its kind of odd, but I've had friends who live in nations where we were fighting.  It makes you look at things in different ways when the "enemy" is someone you spent six hours babbling with about books and tv shows and other things we had in common.

Its easy to hate someone when they are faceless.  Its much harder to do so when you know their hopes, fears, and dreams.  When you've had long serious discussions, giggled about silly things, argued over whether or not G'kar's speak was over done or excellent, and similar.  :)

Ha!  And what an example.

An amazing story Kit! Love it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.