Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

carfree

Low carb colonoscopy prep?

carfree

I have been doing some research on prepping for a colonoscopy while not spiking my blood sugars.   I've found some useful info but thought folks here might have some good tips.  I'm low carb but eat a lot of green veggies and not a ton of meat.

I have a routine colonoscopy scheduled next week.  The instructions are to do a low fiber diet for three days and the clear liquids only for one day.  It's the Go lytely plus Duculax clean out meds.   

I'm thinking a lot of broth and maybe some sugar free homemade jello.  I don't tolerate Nutrasweet and refuse to drink real sugary drinks so I'm not sure exactly what to make jello out of or what to drink.

Also, any tips on how to manage the nasty taste of the prep meds?   It sounds like a lot of people get nauseous from drinking all of the prep liquid.  This might not be the right place for this topic but sorry about that. 

Thanks for any insights.

modcarb

Big thing is don't drink anything red.

I have to use Miralax before a colonoscopy so I mix it with water.

I have to chug a class full every hour.

I do chicken and beef broth--usually just the good box kind and heated.

I keep a small bottle of regular apple juice in the frig to drink if I go low while doing the prep.

That's about it.

Dave_KC

I had a kit provided for me for prep when I had it done, most of it sugar free stuff (although they provided sugared jello, for some reason). Big thing is avoid anything red, and you'll need to cut nuts, and eventually all foods.  Not fun, but my numbers actually stayed quite good  before and after the procedure. 

carfree

Thanks for the help.  I just remembered I have used Ultima for running  which is sugar free and doesn't have dyes,etc.  Just picked up the huge jug of laxative at the pharmacy.  This doesn't look fun, but I'm trying to look at it as a cleanse.

Dave_KC

Actually broth was much of what I had during the prep.  Not my favorite stuff, but it gets me by.

moneymeister

Hi Carfree,

I am glad you posted this! I am also in "prep-mode" and trying to stay keto/low carb while prepping. I will try for plenty of warm broth/stock, low sugar jello (not red, etc.), 5 calorie minute maid, diet ginger ale, poweraid 0.  Intend to flavor the nasty gallon of poo juice with Crystal Light. Today is my last day of prep with food. I am eating cottage cheese and eggs, pork skins and cream cheese for the duration.

Let us know how it went for you!

I'll report back here afterward for those who go after us!

moneymeister

Just going to add some "after" notes here. Well, glad ThAT's done. I managed to stay keto until the last day which was an only liquids day. I had a couple of lemon drops and a couple of lemon gummy bears during the day. That kept the sugar exposure reasonable but made me feel better.  Used broth, diet Jello and coffee as my fall back foods. 

A couple of notes:

Holy heck that prep tastes nasty. Next time I will opt for a more concentrated prep, even if I have to drink water or Gatorade with it. I drank it all except about 10 ounces. I did chase with a couple of glasses of water. The prep was good. On the low residue days, I ate eggs, cheese, cottage cheese and yogurt, creamed cheese and pork rinds. I missed my veggies!

At the end of the process, nothing was irritated or sore.

Glad I went, they found an adenoma polyp (precancerous) and removed it. I also delayed the procedure because I was having an endoscopy at the same time. My Uncle, Grandmother and Great Grandfather died of colon cancer, so I dodged a bullet there. Also was told to have my kids start colonoscopy at 40.

Now I get to wait 5 years until my next one.

ketodetermined

I am not diabetic but was prediabetic before going on a low carbohydrate diet.  Moneymeister, I just wanted to tell you I too had an adenoma polyp, removed, and not cancerous.  It is possible the Ketones burned for energy instead of manufacturing glucose is to contribute to the non-cancerous condition.  Cancer cells feed on glucose and when the body is making and burning ketones instead, the cancer is in a deprived environment. I too feel spared.  I have not lost loved ones to colon cancer but this type is termed as genetic so my family too has the same precautions for early diagnosis, my children to begin colonoscopy at age 40.  I am having a 2nd colonoscopy in 3 months to complete the 1st, as the removal of the adenoma was so extensive that the procedure was long and the remainder of colon to be examined was no longer providing adequate visual for it to be performed.