Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  
HennaKim

Diabetes survey

HennaKim

Hi everyone!

I am a doctoral student at the University of Texas at Austin. I am working on a dissertation that investigates the information needs of patients with type 2 diabetes in the context of smartphone use. I am eager to know your information needs and develop useful diabetes apps. This survey is a part of my dissertation. Please take this survey. I appreciate your help.
https://utexas.ca1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_6KXzgQrKpsavegB

If you have any questions or concerns, post them below.

Thank you so much for your time!

Henna 

Fraser

I took the survey, not very good.  I don’t use my iPhone to access diabetes information, I use my iPad.  

I am not sure of the point of the survey . Or how the information would help anyone.

Kit

I was thinking the same myself. And I also wonder why all of these people come here wanting to know about the gadgets we use or classes we take, etc. 

Why not instead focus on something actually useful like how to better control diabetes. 

Gladtobehere
53 minutes ago, Kit said:

Why not instead focus on something actually useful like how to better control diabetes. 

If they knew how to do that, they would know what information was useful.    But the reality is that every Diabetic likely finds different info valuable.  BG is of course the ultimate data, but there is so much more to the juggling act we use for Diabetes treatment.  In my case the most useful data (beyond BG) would be accurate and trustworthy food labels.  I try to avoid packaged food to a large degree but when I indulge (i don't mean cheat) calculating carbohydrates can be a fairly challenging exercise.  Not to mention knowing if an item will cause a quick spike or not.  

Kit

My major complaint is the focus on technology without asking meaningful questions in regards to what was found or used was actually useful.

For example, asking about my most recent need to look up diabetes information.  It asked what devices I used, then went on like it assumed it was all smart phone.

It just reads more like what smart phone apps can someone sell over what information we actually find useful.

Gladtobehere

Can't talk about Iphones but Android is insidious at collecting data and sending it to google.  Smartphones could be useful tools but are being extensively abused by the producers of the software.

I spent 35 years in the tech industry and am fairly paranoid about keeping my information private.  But it is impossible because I choose to use a smartphone.  I would keep my health data OFF my smartphone.

JohnSchroeder

I laughed when I saw the question about what TIME did you need this information with 12 hourly breakouts in a 24 hour period. 

Can just see the conclusions drawn... 'its apparent that T2 diabetics need information on their smartphones available to them between the hours of X and Y 65% of the time'

Kit

I got a kick out of that.  Also the questions asking me where I was (work), what I was doing (work) if there were people around me (coworkers) and did I talk to any of them (no its none of their business).

JohnSchroeder
40 minutes ago, Kit said:

I got a kick out of that.  Also the questions asking me where I was (work), what I was doing (work) if there were people around me (coworkers) and did I talk to any of them (no its none of their business).

I know!  Reading those questions reminded me of the Lois Lerner IRS scandal.  I half expected the next question to ask me what I pray for and what book I was currently reading.

I didn't answer ANY questions.... cause you know, T1... but my academic curiosity couldn't help but go look.