Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

typeonemom12

Positive for 4 out of 5 antibodies for type one(age 44)

typeonemom12

Hello, My son is type one diagnosed almost  10 years ago. I participated in the trial net study and I was tested for  4 autoantibodies out of 5

gad 65 ica- iaa ia512/Ia2h..  I am being monitored by this group and I understand that I am in stage one of type one diabetes. I have normal blood sugars which I am grateful of.  I am just wondering has any one over  40 has tested positive for autoantibodies and eventually got type one diabetes? If so, how long did it take?

ty

JohnSchroeder

I'm sure others with more direct experience will answer within a day or so... but I can give you a partial answer.  Yes, it does happen to adults as well as children.  Regarding how long does it take, it is more gradual with adults and varies person to person.  I think some people retain insulin production for 6 months or more.

Fraser

A good place to check with is the Joslin Diabetes research center.  I have know many who have been diagnosed T1 later in life. But all had simptoms that triggered the diagnosis.  A call to Joslin might even fit into some research the are doing.

typeonemom12

Thanks so much !! I have been tested for 4 years and I have been positive every time.. I go back and take OGTT test they come out normal every time.  My AiC is 5.4 so this is normal.. I guess I am just anxious.

Fraser

You have the right to be anxious.  Even if the answer is that no one knows the answer, you will have one more important bit of information.

Kit

I'm not T1 myself but we do have a number of people here who were diagnosed T1 in their 40s and beyond.

Its not uncommon for those diagnosed as older adults to actually get misdiagnosed as a T2.  They can struggle for years trying to control things before getting a correct diagnoses.

You however are quite unique in that it was identified before you got into diabetic numbers.  Most of the ones I referred to above don't get diagnosed until after their BG levels show a problem.  So it can be difficult to say for sure how long they had antibodies before it was caught.

typeonemom12

I just am wondering will I get it or not. I sent an email to my Trialnet team to see what the answer is . 

Ty

keisha 

Captain Diabetes

I will turn 41 in May 2018.  I was diagnosed as diabetic in February 2017.  They didn't determine that I was LADA, type 1.5, until this passed February.  For the first several months I was able to control it with exercise and diet, which led them to type 2.  Then the diet and exercise stopped working and they put me on metformin.  A1C went higher.  They did the Glutamic Acid Decarboxylase Antibody test, standard range is 0-5, I was >250.  Now I'm on insulin, and it is a tight rope walk to stay in the range.  A lot of times I am in the 70's to 120, and then like last night I walk 3 miles and eat what is a normal supper for me now and I get up this morning and I am 209.  It's quite depressing as I don't know what I did different to send my numbers up.  I just hope it gets a little easier as time goes on.  

JohnSchroeder
22 hours ago, Captain Diabetes said:

and I get up this morning and I am 209.  It's quite depressing as I don't know what I did different to send my numbers up.  I just hope it gets a little easier as time goes on.  

Most likely this is dawn phenomena.  Your liver is pumping glucose into your system before you wake up.  I've recently learned that eating more carbs than usual the day prior increases the spike I see in the mornings shortly before getting up.  Went from ~65 to 140 a while back the day after I had cereal for breakfast. 

dex

I was diagnosed with T1D at age 41 when I went into DKA and ended up in the ICU with BG over 750, a 10.2 A1c, and positive for GAD. Nine months before at my normal yearly exam I had an A1c of 5.3, which was in line with the other A1c tests that had been done over the ten or so previous yearly exams. I had never been tested for any antibodies prior to this, because T1 was never my concern. As far as I knew at that point, T2 was common in my family and I was doing everything I could to try to minimize my own chances of developing it...including starting low carb in my late twenties when I started noticing the T2 pattern in the older people in my family. None of that was enough to avoid ending up as T1, though. As the endo team in the ICU said to me, sometimes it's really just down to bad luck and there's nothing you can do to avoid it.

There's a very good chance that through my low carb approach I prolonged the time before the infection/systemic stress that happened a few months before I went into DKA finally tipped over the autoimmune attack into critical territory. But that's just theory. Because I'd never been tested for antibodies prior to nearly dying in the ICU, there's no way of knowing for sure.

I will say that if I already knew I was positive for multiple antibodies, and had an A1c at the higher end of "normal," I would be sticking to a very low carb eating approach and monitoring BG levels regularly. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.