Diabetes forums
Jesse Smith

Diabetes Health Care: Are Shared Medical Appointments Right for You?

Jesse Smith

Diabetes Health Care: Are Shared Medical Appointments Right for You?

dowling gram

I've never heard of shared medical appointments but I wouldn't like them. My needs are individual to me(and everyone) and I want the doctors attention on me for the few minutes I'm allowed. She is being paid to help me as an individual not as a cattle call.

JohnSchroeder

I have no idea, but couldn't hurt to try once.  Often enough I see people post who think their doctor is not exactly helpful or as informed as they should be. Having other patients there to share experiences and advice could potentially be more helpful than the doctor.  Its also peer pressure for those with higher A1C's to see others who are lower and aspire to match them the next visit.

adiantum

It could be a lot cheaper for those in the US  & perhaps encourage some to test more often or even see a doctor

Kit

No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no and no.

1)  I want the few minutes I see my doctor to be about me, not about other people.

2)  I don't want peer help from the average diabetic who believes they can eat regular pie because the ADA says so.  I was the "good girl" all of the parents thought would be a good influence on their daughters.  It doesn't work.

3)  I do not want to discuss personal issues in front of others.  I don't even allow my husband into the room unless its a special situation.  (Not that he wants to.)

As for peer pressure, how about a room full of people telling you your A1C is too low?

Did I say NO loud enough?

Edited by Kit

Hammer

Shared medical appointments would violate the HIPPA regulations, which are in place to protect a patient's privacy.

Fraser

Shared appointments might be a good experience, at least we aren’t alone in our journey

as to those in the room who thick our A1C is too low,  tell them to F**** off. 

My opinion. 

Fraser

Not what I expected, but have been following my Keto mojo meter and program.  LOL found out as a well control type 2 I am already in the realm of nutrional keatosis, that was easy. Better might may be harder

Edited by Fraser

mahreenshah

There are five major tips which every diabetic patient should have to care.

1- Lose extra weight
2- Check your blood sugar level at least twice a day
3- Control your blood pressure, cholesterol, and triglyceride levels.
4- Regular exercise can help you reach or maintain a healthy weight.
5- Always wear Foot wear/ slipper even in your room.

Kit

Oh god, not another one. 

Why is it people think we're morons with no experience?

The number 1 best thing for a diabetic to do is to ignore the ADA and get f real control over their blood glucose levels. 

And I will be damned if I will wear shoes inside my own home. My feet are fine, my circulation is fine. Stop telling people to keep their shoes on. Instead tell them their goal is to keep their BG levels at non diabetic levels and stop telling them that levels above the damage threshold are just fine. 

meyery2k

Mahreenshah - Welcome.  Many here that post regularly have been diabetic for many years and actually manage to live a long time and not suffer complications.

While your advice is generally good, you don't mention diet which we all find to be the key to control.  Weight control can help but diet and exercise seem to have the most benefits for most of us here.  Not all people with diabetes were overweight.  That seems to be an inaccurate perception of diabetics.  That lifestyle made them that way.

I would encourage you to read through posts, ask questions, and join us. ~ Mike

mahreenshah

thanks meyery ....well as a part of nursing staff in my past i know the list of foods that diabetic should intake but it will take too many time. For people living with diabetes who want to learn more about choosing healthy foods that fit their lifestyle and taste, it can be difficult to reveal a fact of fiction with information so inconsistent in the media. The American Diabetes Association reviews recent studies on what works safely and appropriately for people who are at risk or living with diabetes..however i found this diabetic meat plan which is mentioned at official American Diabetic Association that might be helpful ...here is that http://www.diabetes.org/ 
and wear special shoes  https://www.orthofeet.com/

OneEye
On 6/7/2018 at 5:06 AM, mahreenshah said:

5- Always wear Foot wear/ slipper even in your room.

That's a good idea...for people who live in third-world countries with dirt floors.