Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tamina_hg

Moving from Germany to Toronto with Type 1

tamina_hg

Hey there! 

I got diabetes when I was 11, I am 19 now and will be moving to Toronto in a year. I want to be prepared and do my research now. 

In Germany I don't have to pay anything for the supplies I need however I'm not sure how it is in Canada. 

I heard that my employer might cover a part of the cost. Is that true? 

What costs will I have to expect? 

Where do I find a doctor who will check on me every three months? 

I really have no idea what living in Toronto with diabetes is like. 

I'm currently in Toronto on a work permit and will return after having married my boyfriend. Apparently his health benefits might cover me as well? 

I appreciate any help I can get! 

Thank you in advance!

meyery2k

Tamina - Welcome!  There are many members in Canada that will answer your questions as soon as they see your post. ~ Mike

dowling gram

Hi  Tamina

Welcome to Canada and this forum.

I live in Ontario so Maybe I can help.

Finding a doctor-- Register with Health care connect. You can find them on line. You will go on a list. I don't know if it works because I've never used it but it;s worth a try. Ask co-workers and friends if their doctor is accepting new patients. Most doctors request an AIC every 3 months. Until you do find a doctor you can access one of the many walk-in clinics that are around. If you go to a" Life labs" for your testing you can get your results on line. Ask them how.

If your husband or employer has supplemental health coverage you will likely pay nothing. Doctors visits and lab work is covered under OHIP but you must be a Canadian citizen to get OHIP coverage. I don't know what the laws are for immigrants or when you'll be covered. It's hard anyone to say what you will be covered for. My husband had supplemental health coverage at work that transferred to me when he died and I pay nothing for anything medical.

tamina_hg
6 hours ago, dowling gram said:

Hi  Tamina

Welcome to Canada and this forum.

I live in Ontario so Maybe I can help.

Finding a doctor-- Register with Health care connect. You can find them on line. You will go on a list. I don't know if it works because I've never used it but it;s worth a try. Ask co-workers and friends if their doctor is accepting new patients. Most doctors request an AIC every 3 months. Until you do find a doctor you can access one of the many walk-in clinics that are around. If you go to a" Life labs" for your testing you can get your results on line. Ask them how.

If your husband or employer has supplemental health coverage you will likely pay nothing. Doctors visits and lab work is covered under OHIP but you must be a Canadian citizen to get OHIP coverage. I don't know what the laws are for immigrants or when you'll be covered. It's hard anyone to say what you will be covered for. My husband had supplemental health coverage at work that transferred to me when he died and I pay nothing for anything medical.

I appreciate your answer! That already helped me!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.