Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  
ran23

CLA/GLA

ran23

Just curious if anyone has tried this 'weight reduction' idea?    after losing 55 lbs at 60 or so, I have left over fat in places I want to get rid of.   160 lb,  5-7,  38-S now.    need to slim down that 34" trouser.  thanks

dowling gram

I don't think any weight loss pill will get you the desired results. You probably don't need to lose more weight but just slim down certain areas of your body. If your waist is the problem try exercises specific to that area. If it's any other place target your exercises to that area.

When you lose weight you don't always lose it where you want to lose it. When I lost weight I would have liked to lose it on my waist. Instead I lost it everywhere else.

Fraser

I would agree, exercise gives you a better body.

also buy tailored pants maybe your best fit is 34.5 or 35 inch Waist 

you might need extra room in the seat.  The older I get the less I fit into standard men’s sizes.

maybe try one of those new sites that measure you from a picture and have them made to fit?

I have not tried them myself.  Most of 6hevwomen I know, the first thing they do after buying clothes is to take them to a seamstress 

and hive the hem length change and the waist adjusted.—

Edited by Fraser

dowling gram

Most of 6hevwomen I know, the first thing they do after buying clothes is to take them to a seamstress 

and hive the hem length change and the waist adjusted.—

I do my own hemming and minor altering. At 1 time I made all my clothes. The reason ladies dress pants have to be hemmed is because unlike men's pants and jeans the inseam is one size meant to fit a woman 5' 8" unless you buy petite and they are meant for women 5'4" or shorter. If you fall in between those heights they have to be rehemmed.

I never get the waist altered because I buy pants or dresses to fit my waist and hips. Some pants have large hips and I avoid them. If the alterations are too much I don't buy

In other words I buy pants to fit unlike my husband used to do. He would buy pants to fit his waist and hips disregarding the length. His reasoning was that he wanted to spend the least amount of time shopping and "well my wife knows how to hem" Many's the time I returned said pants for the right leg length or cursed him all the while I was hemming his pants. I loved the man but sometimes I could have wrung his neck

ran23

I would love a sewing machine and time to learn hemming and stuff.  I am no where near standard sizes.   I will start this CLA/GLA Monday morning. 

Fraser

Fortunately when I was in junior high in the 60’s boy and girls had to take shop and home ed. Together for for an entire year.  

I Did learn the basics of cookin, sewing, etc/.  We all had to learn how to type also. 

the home ed classes came in handy when I became a single father of two When they were 7 and 10. 

my daughter  is now 46 she still likes me to join her on shopping trips. 

All clothes sizing is made for what I call the perfect people.  Which don’t exist.

the other day my adult daughter thanked me for helping her buy her first bra.  Which I had done years ago.  It seems her fiancées daughter was trying to figure out what type of first bra she needed.  My daughter said if I had been able to do it, that she would be the one to take her too the store. 

‘Made me fell good.  Of course all I really did was to listen to my daughter and then take her to store with very helpful clerks.👍

ran23

In 67-68 no girls in my shops classes or guys in home ec.   In HS, I did grab a typing class, maybe one of 4 guys.  and Junior College, I took a CPR class, again one of maybe 4 guys and all girls.  Nursing  students I believe. I was taking it just for kicks.  It looked good on a resume for a few years.   

dowling gram

What I learned in home ec sewing classes wouldn't have taken me very far. I learned by doing and sewing for myself. Fortunately fabric and patterns were cheap then and the patterns were very good at explaining what to do. The fashions of the time ( shift dresses)and my not needing to change the patterns very much to fit me helped too. It also helped that most women at that time sewed. That made it easy to I pick up tips and methods from other sewers so I learned with experience and trial and error and a little help.

Fraser

No nothing takes you very far unless you put effort into it.

this won’t be popular, but maybe you should look at appreciating other successes. 

dowling gram

I do appreciate all the successes I've had in my life but I don;t often brag about them. Some were born out of necessity and others by my endless curiosity and willingness learn and to try new things. Right now learning to cope with living alone and doing chores that were my husband's domain heads the list. I relish the small jobs I have learned to do. I learned how to change the flapper on the toilet and change the stem on a dripping tap. I've managed to connect rain barrel and the hose and stop it dripping, use the electric screwdriver and a hundred little things. When I succeed I give myself a pat on the back and if I fail I have the determination to try again.

ran23

I lost 4 pounds in 4 days and seem to lose on the stomach and hips.   blew it with a 12 oz Pork Porterhouse.   back on track now.(Thursday).  turning 64 this weekend, may mess things up again.    I think this works, still testing.     CLA= Conjugated Linoleic Acid     GLA= Borage Oil   no side effects.   seems to cut my appetite. 

ran23

Actually this was not for losing weight, just slimming down.   Back on it again, and I can't pinch the fat on my sides now.  Found it on 'Low Carb Friends' a web site that is now down.  About a 25 page thread on it's use.  

ran23

Clear weather and ice winds, I have been walking 2-3 times a day, 20-30 min each.   Finally down 4 pounds for the month.  

ran23

waiting for another supply.  My weight shot to 160 and I ran out.  Started back up about 5-6 days later and managed 157.   waiting for supplies from back east in the snows.  I think after this long playing with it, it does help me.   

dowling gram

Ran You are fighting a losing battle. Why do you think most diets to lose weight fail? They fail because a diet may lose your weight but as soon as you go off of it the weight comes back.

Take a little advice--Unless you want to be on those things for the rest of your life get rid of them and enjoy your later years. 160 is not a bad weight for your height and age

ran23

160 is over BMI, probably more important to my doctor than I.  I do know what you mean, I am on BP med's probably for the rest of the life.