Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LCD

What keeps you Motivated?

LCD

What tips  or trickss do you use to KEEP you Motivated?  Why losing weight is more important than the "forbidden food"? (Beside all the best reason of being more healthy, happier, etc.)

Here is one of mine that reminds me daily.  I have two computer screens at my desk.  On one the background wall paper has continous pictures of different weights,

and pictures.     It helps to remind me that even ONE POUND lost is an acomplishment

ONE POUND - 4 STICKS OF BUTTER.jpg

ONE POUND OF BUTTER.jpg

WHAT 5 POUNDS = 3 GRAPE FRUITOF FAT LOOKS LIKE.jpg

TEN POUNDS.jpeg

THREE TEN POUND SACKS OF POTATOES.jpg

TWENTY POUNDS OF BUTTER.jpg

LCD
1 minute ago, TX_Clint said:

What do you have against butter?

Nothing, I LOVE Butter, but pictures of butter are "better looking" than a picture of a pound of fat (yucky sight to see)

meyery2k

When I look back at old photos of myself, that encourages me to stick with what I do.

While I was not exactly unhappy with myself 100 pounds ago, I would not like to go back to that.  I have come to enjoy having a body that usually does what I want it to and partaking in all kinds of activities that being obese kept me from.

When I fly, I was almost to the point where I needed the seat belt extension.  You know the guy walking down the aisle and you hope to yourself, "Please don't sit next to me"?  I was that guy.  I now have generous slack in the strap and the seat is actually comfortable again.  I am not encroaching on your space either lol...

Not having to pay the extra cost for larger sized clothes and having a good selection is also a good motivation.

10612819_10202882695811538_7914544191466799453_n.jpg.b5a325f009d66f95c18a1a9c660ef628.jpg20180116_152632.thumb.jpg.d6af8424a5d250e4bf042e99f4627fe5.jpg

Kit

Neat ideas.

In all honesty, my brother has been my #1 motivation.  He went blind right before I was diagnosed and I got to watch his swift decline over the course of four years.

It doesn't matter how much I like something.  How yummy it might be.  Whether or not its a holiday, birthday, anniversary, or celebration of some sort.  There is no food on the face of the planet that is worth my eyes, my ability to drive, my independence.  There is no convenience that is worth my kidneys.  Just how convenient is hooking yourself up to a machine for 10 hours every night via a tube that goes into your abdominal cavity?  There is no celebration tradition so important that I am willing to sacrifice my feet, my ability to walk.

I also have one other benefit (as strange as that may sound).  I gave up smoking many years ago.  But it took me 10 years of trying and trying and trying to do it.  I tried all sorts of methods.  None of them worked.  See you make bargains with yourself.  Its a high stress day, just one will help and won't hurt and I can get back on track again.  The high stress situations become less stressful to qualify.  They become more frequent.  Or maybe just in social situations where others are also smoking.  But is a group of smokers standing outside of work a true "social situation".  Eventually it becomes one.  And soon enough you're back at it again, right where you were before.  The only thing that works was to completely stop, to have none in the house, to allow no excuses, cold turkey.  It was bloody miserable for a couple weeks as I got past the physical withdrawal.  The mental took even longer.  But it was worth it.  I still remember the shock one morning.  I had gone the entire previous day without even thinking of smoking at all.

Because of that I know I can't let myself the little excuses.  Its a holiday.  Its my anniversary or birthday.  Its a big family get together and aunt so and so is making my all time favorite carby dish.  I might offend someone.  I might stand out.  Once I start making excuses, they keep coming more and more frequent until they become the norm instead of the exception.

There is way more pleasure in life than just food.  I don't want to hinder my ability to enjoy those pleasures just because I miss certain kinds of foods.

LCD
16 minutes ago, Kit said:

Neat ideas.

It doesn't matter how much I like something.  How yummy it might be.  Whether or not its a holiday, birthday, anniversary, or celebration of some sort.  There is no food on the face of the planet that is worth my eyes, my ability to drive, my independence.  There is no convenience that is worth my kidneys.  Just how convenient is hooking yourself up to a machine for 10 hours every night via a tube that goes into your abdominal cavity?  There is no celebration tradition so important that I am willing to sacrifice my feet, my ability to walk.

Because of that I know I can't let myself the little excuses.  Its a holiday.  Its my anniversary or birthday.  Its a big family get together and aunt so and so is making my all time favorite carby dish.  I might offend someone.  I might stand out.  Once I start making excuses, they keep coming more and more frequent until they become the norm instead of the exception.

There is way more pleasure in life than just food.  I don't want to hinder my ability to enjoy those pleasures just because I miss certain kinds of foods.

Kit

Thank you so much for your response and wonderful perspective.  Libby

dowling gram

Like Kit my motivation is my relatives and friends that died or are sick with complications of diabetes. My FIL had both feet and lower limbs amputated and finally died from a heart attack. All complications of DiabetesMy cousin died from kidney and other complications of diabetes. My friend is right now on dialysis and has many other complications of diabetes. I have all their photos on my fridge. My Fil's photo shows him trying to walk with prosthesis and my cousin's photo was taken in the hospital while she was having dialysis and my friends was taken while she was in the hospital.

When I was first diagnosed I determined that their fate would not be mine. One glance at those photos gives me motivation to stick close to my diet. As for losing weight that is not a problem. I lost 40 pounds by going low carb and I've never put it back on. Low carb = low calorie for me.

dowling gram

I'm going to add more about my friend. She is a wonderful person and a great friend. She was always overweight and she ate very fast and that was part of her weight problem. If she had slowed down her eating she might have ate less and had better control of her weight. She knew all about low carb for diabetes but she never stuck to it. In fact she went to extremes. She would eat less than 3 carbs a day for a while and lose some weight and  have good numbers. Then go back to her old diet. Her BG would soar and she'd gain back the weight. She never found a balance and that seesawing was very bad for her health and BG.

She found out she had heart problems and had to have a pacemaker but that wasn't the end of her heart problems. Her heart only works at half capacity (I can't remember the right term). She got neuropathy in her feet and her kidney's started to fail and she had to go on dialysis. Well she got her wish and lost weight. She is now skin and bones but she's not well at all. It makes me sad that I will soon lose another loved one to diabetes.

Kit
1 minute ago, dowling gram said:

She knew all about low carb for diabetes but she never stuck to it. In fact she went to extremes. She would eat less than 3 carbs a day for a while and lose some weight and  have good numbers. Then go back to her old diet. Her BG would soar and she'd gain back the weight. She never found a balance and that seesawing was very bad for her health and BG.

That sounds very similar to my initial attempts to quit smoking.  I'd be good for a few hours, for a few days, and then the excuses came back it would come.  Its the reason I had to finally put my foot down and say no more excuses, no more slips.  It took me 10 years to finally come to that conclusion, but it was the only method that worked for me.

It was good experience for when I was diagnosed.

LCD
1 hour ago, Kit said:

That sounds very similar to my initial attempts to quit smoking.  I'd be good for a few hours, for a few days, and then the excuses came back it would come.  Its the reason I had to finally put my foot down and say no more excuses, no more slips.  

Kit,

Thank you for your wisdom.  No more excuses for me.  

For the last six months, when I wanted a "goody" at my Saturday, get together,  I would take a treat and wrap it in plastic and freeze it for later.   I could always have it another time. I would take a  "new and different" goodie  each week and I ended up with a goody bag with at least 12 different  types of "treats". Then, I figured out to ask for the recipe, so if I wanted to, I could make it.  Then, I decided that since I could make it, I did not need to kept it in the freezer. So, I quit taking the treats  and  evey once in awhile, I defrosted the treats and my husband is in heaven.

PS - I decided to end the Saturday group for now, haven't made any of the treats,  have no more treats in the freezer and my husband is still happy.

Libby

adiantum

Planning for a future is  motivation.

I  wouldnt like to put myself nor any family through the trauma of the complications diabetes can give.

I need to be able to look after me, my dogs and my home.

I couldnt afford to  pay someone to care for me nor for a private room in a luxury nursing home.

It would be a sad life to  hear the moans and groans of others in a health care establishment.

I'd much prefer  to walk through the forest and hear the birds sing .

~ Lee

samuraiguy

Not wanting to go back to sore joints, sleeping with a Cpap and the general icky feeling of having fatty liver (fatigue, nausea from fat) from being morbidly obese, plus wanting to be able to attend a possible future grandchild's graduation or wedding.

LCD
22 hours ago, meyery2k said:

When I look back at old photos of myself, that encourages me to stick with what I do.  When I fly, I was almost to the point where I needed the seat belt extension.  You know the guy walking down the aisle and you hope to yourself, "Please don't sit next to me"?  I was that guy.  

meyery2k

I would be happy to sit next to you any time. 

Libby 

22 hours ago, meyery2k said:

10612819_10202882695811538_7914544191466799453_n.jpg.b5a325f009d66f95c18a1a9c660ef628.jpg20180116_152632.thumb.jpg.d6af8424a5d250e4bf042e99f4627fe5.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.