Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Violette865

Huge jumps up and down...ideas?

Violette865

Hi--I'm hoping someone might find my situation familiar. To review, I'm an almost-50 woman who has experienced the following over the past 4 years:

--hypothyroidism (non-Hashimoto)

--gallbladder removal (dysplasia but no stones)

--recurrent kidney infections (that take two or three different antibiotics to wipe out)

--slow healing cuts, etc

--sporadic tingling and numbness in fingers/toes/lips

--sporadic blurry vision

--Normal, SLIGHTLY below 50, and SLIGHTLY over 100 levels--metabolic panel glucose results

I very often feel like crap, but there's never a good reason for it. 

A month ago, I got hit with the flu AND another antibiotic resistant kidney infection at the same time. 

--Two antibiotics did the trick for the kidneys but left yeast infections in the corners of my mouth.

--Kidney pain still comes and goes

--Currently have alcium crystals, erythrocytes, and nitrites in urine while infection-free.

--Increasing "attacks" of blurry vision, dizziness, chills, pins and needles, nausea, thirstiness, peeing a lot, pounding heart rate, sweating

Because of the blurry vision, I decided to start checking my FBG and blood sugar during the attacks. Over the past week, FBG has gone from around 95 to 120, and I get crazy "highs" at any time of the day, regardless of what I've eaten or not eaten.  I've not been feeling well today, so I had a light cappucino this morning.  Three hours later, I could fell the "thing" happening again.  Two different meters and two sets of test strips are showing between 195 and 203.

Dumb questions:

--Were my prior fluctuations indicative of a prediabetic problem?

--Is it possible to head into diabetes this rapidly after an illness(es)?

--Since it's almost the weekend, I called nurse line...there's virtually no concern.  Because of the last few highs and lows, my doctor finally referred me; I have an appt. with an endo on the 23rd. Is there any point in worrying over the next week or so? I don't relish being treated like a hypochondriac...

Thanks!

4.13.18 l.jpeg

meyery2k

@Violette865 - Unfortunately, I can't offer any specific answers to your questions.  Rather I would offer my opinion that you are not a hypochondriac.  You are observing some trends that need to be looked into and some very simple testing can establish if you have diabetes.

Illness will elevate glucose levels so that could account for some of this.

Get tested.  Insist upon it.  If you find you are diabetic, it is not the end of things.  Many have lived decades with diabetes.  Try not to worry.  Finding out you have it is better than worrying about it because there is so much you can do as far as management is concerned and you will get real world advice right here if needed from real diabetics.

Check this site out and you will see this for yourself.  

Let us know how things go.  You will find a caring group of people here. ~ Mike

Violette865

Sorry--wanted to add that I went to the after-hours clinic last night because I have pain up high under my left rib wrapping around to the back. Amylase and lipase test came back normal, and blood sugar (per bloodwork ) was 95 at 8:45 pm. I'd had a protein-enhanced granola bar 45 minutes before.

It makes no sense. Thanks

Violette865

Thanks so mch, myery2k! That I'm not over-reacting was what I really needed to hear. I very much appreciate it!

adiantum

Hello Violette, Welcome to the forum.

When you were diagnosed pre-diabetic did you have an A1c test done at the lab and how long ago was that?

Having a referral to an endo is a good start although I believe coming here is an even better one.

Read many posts & you will see we are enjoying great food choices and we share positive   experiences.

When I was dx 10 years ago I was introduced to a different diet to  that the diabetes educator promoted.

Hers contained far too many carbs and the foods were not to be enjoyed. 

It felt like i was being punished for allowing D to happen.

When you said you had a light  cappuccino I cringed at that memory where everything was " light".

Did you know to make  foods " light"  that they add carbs to allow it to taste better.

So a coffee made with cream or even half and half will give  better results then " light".

I enjoy a high fat  low carb diet.. its carbs that we cannot process not fat. Fat will even help keep us satiated .

Cheese with all its fat is better for us then  light.

To avoid all those horrible symptoms youve been having, try removing the carbs from your diet, allowing no more then 100g a day to begin with reducing that as time goes by.

Post often.. we care  and hope you too will enjoy a future without complications.

~Lee

Violette865

Thanks, adiatum! I do appreciate all of your suggestions and recommendations, because I do feel like I am rapidly entering a new world where my eating habits are really going to matter.

So, with the past couple of weeks of ups and downs, I've tried low-carb, no-carb, and what my Dr. suggested--protein with complex carbs.  At this point, nothing seems to stop the rising BG, which is getting higher every single day. 

It's been six hours since I had anything besides water...and that was a home-brewed K-cup cappucino at 120 calories--the ONLY thing I've had today...and my current BG is 118, which is a new high for when I took those 120 calories in.

From what you've said, those cappucinos are out of the question! There's going to be a lot of learning ahead of me, I suppose...anyway, thanks so much!

Violette865

Oh, and I had an A1C at the end of September when I started going slightly over 100. It was neg.

meyery2k

@violette865 - What was the number?  Some doctors and the ADA will congratulate A1c numbers that are too high to avoid complications.  Many of us strive for "normal" A1Cs through diet, exercise, medication, and insulin.  Exercise and diet can have a profound effect on diabetes.  Many can manage with that for a long time.

Violette865

Hello...the number wasn't ever printed in test results, but I think it was a 3 on 9/27/17. 

One more detail I forgot to clearify: I am 5'8.5".  I now weight 121 pounds. I lose ten of those pounds in the last three months. I eat healthy and fairly low-carb...mostly Paleo--steaks, salads, fruit.  Hardly any grains...there are really none in the house right now.

Once again, this is no joke, and I know it sounds bizarre, but my husband and I are pretty concerned.  Thanks

Kit

Hi Violette, welcome to the group.

Actually a lot of the symptoms you mentioned can be caused by high blood sugar.,  Thirst, blurry vision, tired, infections, slow healing, pins and needles/tingling, especially in the extremities and similar.  Also large swings in your BG can cause you to feel really bad.  At least they do for me.

I would be curious to get a better picture of how your BG levels are doing at more set points during the day.  Specifically before and about 2 hours after meals.  Actually it might be helpful in your situation to test at a few points after a meal.  30 minutes, 1 hour, 1.5, and 2.  This will help get an idea on how the food you are eating is affecting you.  Right now the picture I'm seeing sounds rather atypical.  At the least, this is information your endo might find useful.

While sickness can raise your numbers, in my experience its usually a pretty consistent rise and not so much a swing between highs and lows.

Violette865

Thanks, Kit...Lab blood test showed a low three weeks ago...it was 48, 30 minutes after I ate an apple and peanut butter.

Since then, it's been 95 or above, fasting or non-fasting. 

I will say that in the three months leading up to this, I've had the pins and needles...chills/sweats/night sweats...blurry vision spells for about a year, but figured it was a vitamin deficiency.  I occasionally checked it, non-fasting, during the summer and it could get up to 180 or so 2-hours-post.

It was 95 last night in the urgent-care clinic.  I went there because of the pain under my left rib and the blurry vision.   That's why it makes no sense that it's jumped so high today. I had a vicious cold this week that neither my son or husband caught. Is it possible that an autoimmune attack could cause damage this fast?  Thanks

dowling gram

Violet--those testing numbers are but a moment in time. You can have normal numbers or low numbers and still have periods of time where your numbers are very high.

Most of the symptoms you exhibit can be caused by swings in blood glucose. If I were you I'd do more tests with your glucometer especially before and after meals as Kit suggested.

While sickness can make your Blood glucose a bit higher I don't think that's your problem.

I think you should make an appointment with an Endo and while you are waiting to see him do a lot of testing at home.

You could change your diet too  to a LCHF diet and see if that helps. How many carbs you eat a day depends on how many you can tolerate and still keep your blood glucose low. Some here eat as few as 30 carbs a day and others can tolerate more. Every diabetic is different so it's up to you to find out what your diet should be like and you do that by testing to find out what food you can tolerate

adiantum

Please let us know how your appointment went with the endo.

I'm hoping they will test you for type 1 or even type1.5

what ever the diagnosis.... carbs will be the issue but you may need meds.

Violette865

Thanks to you, dowling, as well. My endo appt. is on 4/23, so not too far away.

I guess, to explain the panic, my brother had a liver transplant due to Primary Sclerosing Cholangitis, an autoimmune disease that scars the liver.  My gallbladder had to be removed because of pain and pre-cancerous scarring...so with the pain I've been experiencing (now and sporadically over the last 2 years) I'm just hoping I'm not headed for a dose of what the bro had. It's hereditary...but ultrasounds and lab tests have always been okay.

Again, thanks to everyone.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.