Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

blancabmr

I think I'm 1.5

blancabmr

Hello, my name is Blanca, I'm 24 years old (5'5", 140lbs) and in november 2016 I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes... When I was diagnosed my a1c was 9.5, I had lost 10pounds and my PCP  said I was insulin resistant, but that he didn't know why because I have no metabolic syndrome (My blood pressure is normal, I'm not overwweight, although my cholesterol is high sometimes).

When he told me this he put me on metformin, starting 500mg twice a day, then he changed me to 1000mg twice a day. At this time I was able to control my bs and take it to a normal level, with diet and exercise.

A few months ago I went to the endocrinologist for the first time, my a1c was 9.4, I never miss my metformin and I always tried to eat as little carbs as I could (sometimes I did ate a lot but it wasn't everyday)... After knowing my a1c was crazy high I started a really low carb diet, like 20g of carbs a day and I started excersicing again, still my bs is never lower than 130 fasting and 100 before bed.

They tested first my c-peptide and then my insulin (both fasting):

My C-peptide was 0.91 ng/ml, that morning my bs was 132.

My insulin was 5 uIU/ml and that morning my bs was 176.

Am I crazy to think I might have LADA or not? I have an appt with the NP next week and I don't want to sound crazy. Should I ask for antibodies test? Or do you guys think I just have badly managed type 2? 

I just don't understand why can't I eat any carbs because my bs goes up so high and I feel so depressed...

Thank you to everyone that takes the time to read and reply, I really appreciate it.

Fraser

I am not an expert in any fashion but from your  information LADA is a real possibility.

a correct diagnosis is a start at management. 

Best wishes

yes attibody test 

at least in my experience T2s have some control over BG

blancabmr
13 minutes ago, Fraser said:

I am not an expert in any fashion but from your  information LADA is a real possibility.

a correct diagnosis is a start at management. 

Best wishes

yes attibody test 

at least in my experience T2s have some control over BG

Thank you @Fraser , I think I will definitely ask for the antibodies test. 

blancabmr

@Fraser I’ve been trying to manage it but sometimes I find it so hard... And when I can’t eat things I like (I absolutely love carbs and sweets) I get depressed... I feel like I can’t force my husband to eat like, is totally not fair, but he ends up eating things I would love to eat... And if I go out with friends they pick out places with little options for me and I end up cheating on my diet... I’ve been trying to keep strong and not go out of the diet and excercise but on top of everything I have had anemia for like 3 weeks and I have little to no energy to exercise, so sometimes I rather not to eat for my bs not to go up but it doesn’t really make a change and I get more upset. Another thing is that I think If I have type 2 it was my fault but if I have LADA I wouldn’t think about it that way, and I would stop blaming myself :( I am trying to get an appointment with a psychologist too.

Fraser

Well first If have t2 or LADA it is no way your fault , I am a runner and diagnosed T2 at 64.  Also there are many reasons partners can’t eat the same stuff

Inam a widower, and it would be nice to have a partner to bitch at about eating. 

meyery2k

@blancabmr - Insist on the testing to see if you have LADA.  Strategy is a bit different with LADA than type 2.  Welcome!  You will get great advice here. ~ Mike

Kenton

Usually if it's LADA the progress is slow so the Dr's think you are not following their recommendations.

And without testing for awhile it's hard to tell LADA and T2 apart apparently.

For me it started with higher than normal blood sugar test as part of a company health fair and a recommendation to get an A1C.

I do not remember the result but I know it was over 8. So I increased my exercising and went on a lower carb diet.

This worked for a year or so  then I needed to add metformin  for awhile  then glimpiride. Around this time I started losing weight. I was 6'1" and have never weighed over 185 or so and had a very active job at the time so I was fit.  By this time I'm under 140 Lbs. The Dr seeing a very high A1C is giving me the do you like your eyes, do you like your feet lecture when I tell him I'm skipping meals like breakfast to try and keep the BS lower. You'll go low he said. How can I go low when I never test under 300 even doing this. About this time I decide to go to a Endocrinologist and insist on testing. ( thanks to this site as I had started reading what to do here ) Shortly after I am called and asked to come in. I'm told I do not need to take the pills and his nurse will show me how to inject insulin . Needle phobia was overcome and I slowly start to put weight back on., Then I went into a honeymoon and found I hardly needed any insulin for around 8 months then that went away and I've been fine since then other than needing to take insulin to control the blood sugar. . I weigh 178 Lbs now and  lost an inch of height so I'm only 6 foot now . But still very active as I do like my feet ;)

I have had previous auto immune disease, Graves, and have Vitiligo and discovered what I thought was irritable bowel was Crohns when I had a couple feet of  colon removed. So the Dr should have considered I didn't have T2 but never did. I had to go to a Endo to get diagnosed correctly.

Edit, corrected the autocorrect of something.

blancabmr

@Kenton I can't believe a lot of people have to push their Dr's to get tested. I think is so sad that they don't want to know what is really happening they just asume things... I'm glad that you finally got the tests done and figure out you were lada so you could take the right approach with the insulin instead of taking pills. 

Thanks for sharing your story, it encourages me to ask for the tests too!

blancabmr

@Fraser @meyery2k @Kenton Hey guys, finally got part of my tests back, so far 3 out of 4 antibodies they tested came back positive, got diagnosed with Lada and now I have to start on insulin... I am glad that I finally have the right diagnosis.

Also, any advise? Thanks in advance! 

meyery2k

Work with your doctor and check out the posts here that explain how to use basal and fast acting insulin.  Even though you are using insulin and, in theory, can eat and correct for just about anything it only goes so far.  Limiting carbohydrates will make using insulin easier.  The posts will explain why far better than I can.

Now that you know what you are dealing with, I hope it becomes a bit easier. ~ Mike

Fraser

@blancabmr Congratulations!  Having the correct diagnosis is the most important discovery. 

I would love to help, but I don’t know much about insulin, but others here do. Let us know how things go.

Kenton

Learn about honeymoons. For some reason a lot of people who start insulin have a period where their pancreas seems to start working for a bit after the pressure is taken off of it. I was beginning to question whether I really needed to be on insulin for awhile but unfortunately ( for me ) that did not last.

I imagine they started you with take so many units of basal a day and this many units of bolus for meals.  Consider a book like " Think like a Pancreas " , I found it valuable. Another a lot of folks on here like is" Dr. Berstein's Diabetes solution". That did not work for me but may for you.

And just because you can adjust your levels with insulin does not mean you can eat anything you want. That's a quick way to gain weight. I tend to suffer false lows if I eat a large amount of carbs and do not like the effect so that keeps me from doing it. Plus I found keeping my weight in the normal range seems to really help me feel better. I have though about dropping the weight a bit lower even but so far that's just a thought.

Good luck on your journey as you learn what works for you.

Ken

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.