Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  
Kit

Flackers

Kit

Has anyone seen or tried Flackers?

https://flackers.com/

They're basically made out of flax seed, water, and various seasonings.

Now I know these should be really simple to make at home.  In fact Keto Connect has a recipe for them here

https://www.ketoconnect.net/recipe/flax-seed-crackers-recipe/

They are rather expensive.  However, once in a while its nice to have something that you don't have to make yourself and the ingredients list looks like a recipe and not a chemistry experiment.  (Flax, water, ACV, seasonings)

I was thinking of giving them a try, but before I do, I was curious if anyone else had tried and is it worth me making an order.

It also looks like both the Flackers and the recipe use whole flax seeds soaked in water for a significant amount of time before making the crackers.  I've only worked with ground flax seeds so I've no experience with with that either.

dowling gram

Never heard of them but then Americans have access to more things than we do in Canada. It seems to me as a gardener if you soaked flax seeds in water for a time they would sprout and maybe exude the glutinous jelly they produce. Unless the flax seeds they use are sterile. Then it would just break down the seed. Either of those may make them taste different than working with flax meal. I have made flax muffins with only ground flax as the flour substitute and they do have a coarse texture and a nutty flavor, but then the sprouting or breaking them down may make a difference. Guess you'll have to try them to find out unless someone else know more than I do

meyery2k

I tried them once when I was first adapting to LC.  I didn't care for them as I found them too dry.  The texture was not appealing.  Now, I might have a different perspective on them.  There is a health food store that sells them.  Maybe I will give them another try. 

adiantum

I didnt like them either  but the cashew & cheese  dip was OK IIRC

• 1/4 cup raw cashews
  • 1 tablespoon raw apple cider vinegar
  • 1 lemon, juiced
  • 1 whole red bell pepper, chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves
  • 1/4 -1/2 cup nutritional yeast, depending on the level of cheesy flavor you desire
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder
  • Salt and pepper, to taste

Directions:

1. To a large bowl, add the raw cashews, cover with water, and soak the nuts for 6 to 12 hours.
  2. Drain the water from the cashews, and add them to a food processor. Add all the remaining ingredients, and blend on high.
  3. Scrape the sides of the food processor bowl, and keep blending until the mixture is very smooth and creamy and there are no chunks.
  4. Transfer the mixture to a bowl, and chill it for several hours to allow the flavors to develop.
  5. Serve with homemade flackers when ready to enjoy.

http://www.sheknows.com/food-and-recipes/articles/1046215/flaxseed-crackers-creamy-vegan-cheese-dip-recipe

Kit
1 hour ago, meyery2k said:

I tried them once when I was first adapting to LC.  I didn't care for them as I found them too dry.  The texture was not appealing.  Now, I might have a different perspective on them.  There is a health food store that sells them.  Maybe I will give them another try. 

I know what you mean about changing taste.  I have found some things I hated early on I'm liking now.  There are some local stores which carry them, but totally inconvenient for me.  If I do get some to try, I'll just order online.

I kind of liked the ones I used to make with ground flax, but they were never very crunchy or sturdy.  I'm wondering if these will be a little different.

On a good note, I found salt and pepper pork rinds at the store today.  I've never seen anything other than plain or the spicy ones before.  They're not bad.  You can really taste the pepper.  Downside, they are also pretty salty.  not something you want to eat in any quantity.  Or maybe that's a good side as its automatic portion control.  :D

carfree

I eat them and find them okay.  I can definitely make better homemade crackers but tend to overeat on those.  So basically I'm saying they aren't so delicious as to overeat on them.  Thanks for the ketoconnect recipe. I might try that.

They are very crunchy, which is nice.  The savory ones give a nice crouton crunch to a salad.  Occasionally, I'll make a dip and dip veggies and Flackers.  

Personally,  I only like the savory and plain ones.  I like rosemary, but something seemed odd about that flavor in the flackers.  Good luck.

Kit

I did a quick store run today for dinner.  OMG it is way too hot to even think about cooking.

I got two flavors.  The Savory (which are garlic, onion, basil, and red chili flakes) and Rosemary.  They are actually pretty good and I think would be great as a dip or cracker with cheese.  They do have some of that flax flavor, so those who don't like flax likely won't like these.  They are thick, sturdy, and have a very nice crunch to them.

One serving is 6 crackers.  The savory have 8g carbs, 6g fiber.  The Rosemary have 7g carbs, 6g fiber.  I may have gotten most of my daily recommended fiber intake in one go.  I've munches on a few too many of these.  :)

@meyery2k I'm curious what you think if you try them again.  They don't seem dry to me, but like we said before, tastes can change so I may have thought so 4 years ago.

We have a family get together next weekend.  I may bring a bag of these along.

Edited by Kit

meyery2k

@Kit - I finally got around to Flackers again.  I tried the sea salt flavor.  I found that I like them now.  They are still a bit dry but sour cream or dressing fixes that.  They would work as croutons in a salad for me.

stevenal

I ate a lot of them as a bread replacement when I first went lchf, but I lost the habit after a while. Never did care for the flavored ones, but the plain golden flax ones were good.

Kit

I seem to have gotten a bunch of people here at work into them now.

I offered to let a few people try some.  One of my coworkers just recently started a keto diet for weight loss.  He liked then.  Another tried and liked them.  Someone else came in.

Wow, these are good.  Are these seeds I see?

Yeah, its flax.

Oh, flax is good for you.  I love multi grain stuff.

I'm just excited because it means I can have cheese and crackers again.  :)