Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tilda

Gallstones--connection to LCHF?

Tilda

I started on LCHF in Oct 2014. I was gallstone free according to an abdominal MRI in Dec 2014. I did another abdominal MRI last week and now I have gallstones. No idea how big or small or how many (haven't talked to the doctor yet). I'm completely symptom free. BMI of 18.5. Always on a healthy diet (save too much fresh fruit and fresh bread pre-LCHF, but definitely never junk food, sodas etc). I realize that nobody can tell me this for sure on this forum or anywhere whether LCHF caused the stones or contributed to them or whether I would have gotten them anyway. But I'm curious whether anyone was gallstone free pre-LCHF and then got some??

Kit

Can't say, but I had to have my gall bladder removed getting close to 20 years ago, long long long before I had ever even heard of lchf.

BTW - gallstones don't form over night.  They are slow growing from my experience.

dowling gram

This is a quote from a medical website-- According to Harvard Health Publications, 80 percent of gallstones are made of cholesterol. The other 20 percent of gallstones are made of calcium salts and bilirubin.

Since most of us who have been on the LCHF diet have lower cholesterol than before the diet in my opinion there is no relationship between Gall Stones and the LCHF diet

Kit
27 minutes ago, Kit said:

Can't say, but I had to have my gall bladder removed getting close to 20 years ago, long long long before I had ever even heard of lchf.

BTW - gallstones don't form over night.  They are slow growing from my experience.

Ack, sorry, didn't have my glasses on and misread the date.

Still, I doubt lchf weas the cause.  I know too many people who have done keto for many years with no problems. And, like I mentioned before, I ended up having problems long before I'd ever heard of lchf.  In fact, I started having problems around the time I had just finished my term in the military so was active and eating rather low calorie to help keep my weight in check.  And, at the time, low calorie was low fat.

Tilda
1 minute ago, dowling gram said:

This is a quote from a medical website-- According to Harvard Health Publications, 80 percent of gallstones are made of cholesterol. The other 20 percent of gallstones are made of calcium salts and bilirubin.

Since most of us who have been on the LCHF diet have lower cholesterol than before the diet in my opinion there is no relationship between Gall Stones and the LCHF diet

I'm one of the 25% or so of cholesterol hyper-responders. My LDL is at 210 after 3 years on LCHF (from 130 before), though my triglycerides are fine. HDL is at 120, a number so high that some doctors think it could be considered too much of a good thing. That's one reason why I was wondering.

Tilda

Though I do wonder whether there's even a direct connection between having high cholesterol levels and having too much in the gall bladder. These things may not go hand in hand.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.