Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JohnSchroeder

Dawn Phenomena

JohnSchroeder

Does anyone have any advice on how to mitigate or reduce dawn phenomena?  Its really been doing a number on me lately.  This morning I went from a very steady 50-55 overnight (yeah, that's a bit low, I know) and around 5 or 5:30 AM my sugar started spiking.  All the way up to 180 by 8:30 AM, without eating a single carb.

I don't believe this is a basal issue because I am using Tresiba which supposedly lasts in your system for about 72 hours.  But if others have used Tresiba and have to split the dose, I am all ears.  I just do my basal once a day in the morning.

TX_Clint

I don’t have an answer for you John. But, if you figure it out please let me know. My dp isn’t quite as bad as yours but still climbs 30+ points.

Gladtobehere

I have heard that actually consuming some carbs can decrease DP.    DP is the body getting ready for a day of hunting and scavenging, so it kinda makes sense to moderate the effect try a good breakfast.  They call it the most important meal of the day.

But you will have to try for yourself I can't say I ever tried to deal with DP.   I am too attached to coffee and toast in the morning.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.