Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  
Kenton

Pancake syrup

Kenton

In my quest for pancake syrups that either do not cost way to much ( Walden Farms ) or flat out blow me away, ( all the ones with sugar alcohols) I decided to make my own.

Here's mine.

3/4 cup sugar substitute , I used Sweet Additions stevia sweetener. If you use another sweetener you will need to figure how much is just right.

1 cup cool water

1/2 teaspoon Xanthan gum

1 1/2 teaspoons Maple extract,  I used Watkins Maple extract

1 teaspoon vanilla extract ( this adds a bit of flavor but more importantly darkens the syrup to look like maple syrup )

Mix 1/4 cup of the water with the Xanthan gum . Add the water a little at a time or the gum will clump on you.

Bring the remaining water and the sugar substitute to a boil, then add the water/ Xanthan gum mixture.

Stir until it thickens close to what real syrup looks like and remove from the heat. It will thicken a little bit more when it cools. If you plan on using it right away go ahead and make it as thick as real maple syrup.

After it cools add the maple extract and the vanilla  extract and refrigerate until needed.

You could throw in 1/4 stick or more of butter before it cools and blend it but I found it tends to separate if not used right away,

I use this with coconut flour/almond meal/oat fiber pancakes. I've been adding oat fiber to the mixture to cut the calories a bit.

If you substitute oat fiber for part of the coconut flour make them as fast as you can because the oat fiber tends to absorb the water and become very thick.

A side benefit of these is they keep you regular ;)

Edited by Kenton
oat not oak! oak is for squirrels

Kenton

I haven't tried it yet but have thought about making the clear syrup and blending fruit like blueberries or strawberries in to make flavored syrup.

I did try adding dark cocoa power but that was not very good..

Kenton

You T2's might need to use liquid stevia or some other liquid sweetener to make this. 

There are some carbs to the powered stevia. I see a slight rise but I am not putting a lot of syrup on my pancake.

I see more if I add a spoonful of peanut butter ( yum )

Just figure what makes it sweet enough but not to sweet.

I'm still working on it, so I probably will change to another sweetener  so I can give my mom some.

She's 86 and has had to watch what she eats for the last couple years.

Fraser

First pancakes are not low carb and being from Maple sugar country   There is nothing low carb about maple syrup/

bottom line don’t eat real or fake pancakes or real or imitation maple syrup.  Eat real food that works with your BG control

Fraser

When I was in elementary school the field trip was to cross the road and see them tap the maple trees and then how the boiled it down to make maple syrup.  A couple years later my parents took me to a maple syrup festival where I over in dulged in maple sugar candies. 

Awful experience terribly sick.  I never ate maple sugar candy again.

since 

was diagnosed I eliminated all that crap. 

So bottom line I would not recommend consuming it or any artificial substitute / 

dowling gram
6 hours ago, Fraser said:

When I was in elementary school the field trip was to cross the road and see them tap the maple trees and then how the boiled it down to make maple syrup.  A couple years later my parents took me to a maple syrup festival where I over in dulged in maple sugar candies. 

Awful experience terribly sick.  I never ate maple sugar candy again.

since 

was diagnosed I eliminated all that crap. 

So bottom line I would not recommend consuming it or any artificial substitute / 

I'm from a maple syrup country and I don't like the real thing. I prefer home made syrup. It's what I was what we always had at home. I hate maple sugar candy. It is super sweet. To me the only way to eat maple anything is the hot syrup poured on snow and twirled on a stick. I too make a syrup much the way you do kenton.

You are plainly not a pancake aficionado. I am! Pancakes have always been my favorite special breakfast and I'd never give them up . Here's my pancake recipe and it's lower in carbs than yours kenton.

2 eggs

flax meal and almond meal

1/2 teaspoon baking powder

cream

Bacel buttery for frying

In a bowl beat the eggs with a wire whisk.  Stir in equal portions of flax meal and almond meal.--sorry I can't tell you how much because I've never measured. I just alternate spoonfuls of each and stir between additions. I do this until it is thicker than I want and then add cream to make it pancake consistency. Stir in the baking powder. I use a gravy ladle to make small pancakes because small ones are easier to flip. I fry them in the bacel on medium heat until they bubble and then flip. I get 6 around 4 inch pancakes out of this.

Edited by dowling gram

Kenton

You could substitute  oat fiber for part of either meal and make it even lower carb /calorie ( the calories are what I'm aiming to lower ) .

That's what I did, I used to make an almond meal pancake similar to yours except I use almond milk instead of cream. 

Now I make them as oat fiber / almond meal with a small amount of coconut flour as it seems to hold them together like the two eggs.

Without it I would either need to increase the amount of eggs and make them eggy tasting or make them real small.

The only real gotcha with adding the oat fiber is you have to be fast making them as the batter thickens quickly. And you can't add more liquid.

I do not use fats or oils other than to prevent food from sticking or if required by the recipe.

And you're right, I also love pancakes.  I could make the real thing and use real syrup and take a shot but then I'd be dealing with the unpleasant side effect of to many carbs. False lows, I'm very sensitive to the effect of falling blood sugar levels.  Plus I do not like to run the blood sugar into the stratosphere which is what would happen if I were to eat the real stuff. 

Edited by Kenton
I was right! It's you're not your. That will teach me to listen to a puter.

dowling gram

You could substitute  oat fiber for part of either meal and make it even lower carb /calorie ( the calories are what I'm aiming to lower ) .

I think I'll keep my recipe. I need the calories to maintain my weight and the flax keeps me regular

Kit

I've always thought that a reasonable substitute would be butter mixed with a little sweetener and maple extract.

I was never really a fan of pancakes so I just haven't been motivated to try to see how it turns out.  :)

Larry H.

I am sensitive to nearly anything that can raise your numbers now it seems. However The Almond Four recipe makes pancakes you can hardly tell the difference in and we use the Walmart Sugar Free Syrup.   I ate more than I should have, six all together about 5" wide with two sausage paddies and a couple small scoops of chocolate low carb Byers Ice Cream, after two hours I had 119.  That is the second time that a meal of those pancakes was far less than the meat and vegetable recipes I have tired, not that I intend to give those up either, but for some reason they can often be more than I expect to see.  I used to sell Watkins products and we used to tell people how to make the syrup which was always good.  I may have to try your alternative method.