Diabetes forums
Sign in to follow this  
BookwormBetty

When to Replace Meter

BookwormBetty

How often do you replace your glucose meter? My research (i.e. Google) shows everything between 2 and 10 years. Not so helpful! Also, what makes you decide that it needs replacing?

My Relion Prime is about 2.5 years old. Lately I've been getting higher morning readings than what I ate the day before combined with DP really account for, plus repeat readings are all over the place. Today, for example, my waking reading was137 immediately followed by 127, then an hour later - before food or meds - 90 immediately followed by 151 immediately followed by 145. 2 hours later - 2 hours after my normal, low carb breakfast - it read 157. An hour after that, 118. Those higher numbers are really weird for me and so is 90 that early in the morning. That combined with the erratic readings make me think my meter needs replacing. But - my readings throughout the rest of the day were both consistent and normal for me, ranging from 96 to 112. So maybe it's not the meter. I have no idea!

Oh the endless amusement that is diabetes! (Insert sarcastic emoji here.)

adiantum

I only replaced mine after I lost the first. I just rang CareSens & they posted me a free one by express post.

It could  help you if you had a 2nd meter to compare. 

If you read a post in the morning thread you will see one member gives the reading of both meters.

dowling gram

My meter is a freestyle lite. It's my original meter that I got when diagnosed over 4 years ago and it's as accurate as it has ever been. If it wasn't then I'd replace it or at least get another one to compare and or confirm the figures.

Meters are like anything else you buy. Sometimes you get a gem and other times you get a lemon. I'd say you probably got a lemon and it would be wise to get another one if only for comparison purposes.

Most times you can get a free meter from the company but have to buy the strips so price comparison shopping might be in order

JohnSchroeder

One other variable to consider is your sticks.  Something sure seems out of whack... but before you buy a new meter try new sticks.  It would be cheaper and you probably have an extra box of them lying around already.

BookwormBetty

Thanks, everyone. I did open a new bottle of strips yesterday - unfortunately I put the last half dozen from the other bottle in with the new ones without thinking about it and won't know when I'm getting one if the older ones. I'll keep testing for a few days before I get a new meter. It'd be nice if I didn't need to. Though a backup is a good idea.