Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sewtab

Newly diagnosed Type 1 (1.5?) and hyperthyroid

Sewtab

Hi I am a 49 yr old woman, diagnosed with hyperthyroid 3 weeks ago and also diabetes, still waiting GAD testing results, so probably autoimmune related, I have been sent 'the autoimmune solution' by Dr Amy Myers who advocates a seed, nut, legume, dairy, egg free diet to help leaky gut and take pressure off immune system, has anyone any thoughts or experience of this? i typed in 'the myers way' to the search box and got nothing back which surprised me

Many thanks

JohnSchroeder

He Sewtab!  Welcome! 

Took a look at the Dr. Myers website.  For things like leaky gut I have no idea.... but there is no cure for diabetes.  If diabetes (T1 or T2) could be cured by diet, we would all be cured by now.  You can control the symptoms and reduce or eliminate complications from diabetes by eating a low carb diet (T2) and countering what carbs you do eat through insulin injections (All T1 and some T2).

I noticed that the foods shown in pictures on the Myers website were mostly good, except for some syrup drenched pancakes.  Her recipes use Tigernut and arrowroot flour, which appear to have just as much carbs as regular flour.  So those recipes would generally be considered a no-go for most diabetics.

Sewtab

thank you John, thats really kind of you to answer, i was hoping for opinions of this diet from people that had tried it to see if it was as good as Dr Myers makes out, for normal people not just case studies, I am struggling to find relevant threads about autoimmune and diet, if there is anything here about that? xx

meyery2k

Sewtab - Welcome!  You will get posts about diet.  Probably in general as we stick with what we find works.  For me, a low carb high fat diet with exercise helps me control diabetes.  Many posters had trouble with digestion that was helped with low carb high fat.

adiantum

Hi Sewtab, Welcome to  the forum.

I hope you get the GAD results soon so you can take control of the D ASAP.

Do you have a blood glucose meter ?

That will be the best indicator on what foods you can tolerate for the diabetes but I have no experience with the Myers diet.

JohnSchroeder

Sewtab, it might also help us address your question if you tell us what you hope to get out of the Myers diet?  Weight loss?  Diabetes control?  Stopping autoimmune reactions?  Something else?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.