Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

J Woz

HgA1C 5.9, BMI 20, active and eat healthy

J Woz

Hi all,

First time posting, just got the diagnosis of prediabetes. I'm a 31 y.o. female that runs 2-3 times a week, walk my dogs 2 miles 2/week, eat vegetables, fruit, lean meat (very seldom do i drink soda,  tea, or eat sweets/breads). I am a nurse so I'm constantly moving at work, very far from a sedentary lifestyle.  I have been having my fasting labs followed for the past two years and my HgA1C came back 5.9, fasting blood sugar 94. My lipids are awesome, HDL 66, LDL 90, triglycerides 41.  My BP 100s/60s. Starting in my 20s, I will say if I wait to long to eat, I do get symptomatic-headache, shaky, fatigued. I do feel tired after a heavy meal-like if I eat pizza and I drink 3+ gallons of water a day. Family history-My mom is a prediabetic, diagnosed at 40, and her brother is a type 2 diabetic on insulin. Any one else have the same presentation?

meyery2k

Welcome!

You might find it helpful to get a meter and some strips.  The Relion meter at Walmart is fine and the strips are relatively inexpensive.

If there is some type of insulin resistance going on, the fasting glucose is usually the last to show it.

Before you eat a meal, test.  Eat.  Test about 90 minutes after you eat, then 2 hours, then 3 hours.  You should be close to where you started at 2 hours.  IF glucose is still elevated and then declines, then that is usually an indicator of insulin resistance.

Some foods like pizza can have a delayed effect due to the fat slowing the absorption of the carbohydrates.

This is how I am broken.  Before I knew this, I presented as a type 2 diabetic.  With diet and exercise, I was able to ditch the Metformin and my labs present as a non-diabetic now.

I hope you decide to join us.  There is a lot of great information here.

Kit

Hi J Woz, welcome to the group.

Hyperinsulinemia and insulin resistance can show up a decade or more before your blood glucose levels will show a rise.  Excess circulating insulin causes the body to become resistant or numb to the presence of insulin.  Because of this combo, when you eat carbs, insulin levels will spike higher than would happen normally to lower your levels back down.  But since your body had to produce more insulin to achieve that affect, you can get what is called reactive hypo.

This doesn't necessarily have t be a true hypo, where your BG levels drop below 70.  It can also be a delayed large drop in blood glucose levels, which can feel very much like a hypo.  Headaches, shaky, nervousness, increased hunger, and similar.

So its a possibility this was the cause of the fatigue, shakiness, and headache you mentioned in your post.

Contrary to what the general public and most medical professionals believe, not all T2 diabetics sat around all day watching TV, drinking gallons of soda, and scarfing sweets and other junk food.  I've been active my entire life, I love long walks and hiking for pleasure, rarely ate sweets, hadn't drunk soda for more then a couple of decades, and similar.  Due to gall bladder removal and a large family history of T2 diabetes, I avoided fats, ate lean meats when I ate meat at all, avoided most dairy, and stuck with whole grains, whole wheat, brown rice, and similar.  I was still diagnosed 15+ years later as a T2 diabetic.

I will echo Mike above.  If you haven't already, get yourself a blood glucose meter and start testing yourself.  This is how you will know how your body reacts to the different foods you consume and various activities.  I also use the Walmart ReliOn Prime as the strips cost $9 for 50, which is way less than my insurance copay and it works perfectly fine for me.  Plus my doctor and insurance company can't gang up on me to keep me from testing like was tried before.  (25 strips a month?  That's not even enough for once a day!)

As Mike mentioned, your fasting numbers are normally the last place to see a problem.  The best places to test yourself is before and a couple hours after meals.  My goal is to be back where I started at around 2 hours.  However the composition can affect how fast your food is digested, so there may be times you want to check yourself at 3 or 4 hours.  Pizza happens to be notorious for delayed spikes.  That before and after check allows you to make changes to your meal composition and then try it again to see if you got better results.  We refer to this as eating to your meter and is a method many of us follow here.

In my opinion, testing yourself is vital for understanding what is happening with your body.  I look like it this way.  Imagine you are a pilot.  You need to land your plane, but its in the middle of the night, cloud cover is heavy the planes control board and radar are out, the airport has lost power and there are no lights on the runway.  He only knows if he's gotten it right once the plane touches ground.  And by then its too late to correct for any errors.

That's what its like when a diabetic only goes by an A1C and BG test a couple times a year.  You're just flying blind, playing guessing games, and crossing your fingers.  If something goes wrong, you have no idea what has gone wrong, just that it did.

At first I recommend testing frequently.  You're building a picture on how your body reacts and that takes time.  There are a lot of factors involved.  However, once you get the hang of things, you can ease off.  I now normally test myself about three times a day.  Using when I get up in the morning and then before and after one meal.  I don't freak out if I forget my meter at home and don't get all three tests in.  And at times I will increase the number of tests, usually if I'm trying something new or trying to hunt down an issue I've seen with my regular readings.

Anyway, stick around, ask questions.  There are lots of people here with many many years of experience who are happy to lend a hand, advice, suggestions, etc.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.