Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  
crashandburn

Buying insulin with govt insurance

crashandburn

Hello all, long time no see. I have recently retired after having a really bad case of the flu and a blood clot in my lung most 4 months later i am still very weak and have days where im decent and others where im very sick... Because i retired i lost my insurance i have now chose to go through the government and have bluecross blueshield.. I had them through my work and they would only cover humalog and after some research it seems the plan im on now only covers novolog.. Does anyone have experience with them and can recommend an affordable fast acting insulin and the cheapest place to get it?

JohnSchroeder

Walmart sells Novolin R in a vial for $27.88.  I have insurance, and this is still the best option for me.

Its got about an extra half hour lead time, meaning you kind of need to try to do the injection a bit earlier... but for the cost savings its well worth it and easily adapted to.

Oh, and no Rx needed for this insulin, which is great.

Edited by JohnSchroeder

funkynassau

I'm curious.  Can one buy insulin over the counter in Canada?  I've never heard of that being possible,

crashandburn

Usually needs prescriptions

How is the vial that cheap is it rapid acting or just fast acting

JohnSchroeder

Fast acting.  Takes 30 minutes or so to start working, probably peaks in 1.5 hours, lingers for maybe 2 or 2.5

Its comparable to novolog, except it has about an extra 15-30 minute ramp up time.

crashandburn

I only ask because im on a pump and wondering how much of a difference it will make

JohnSchroeder

Delayed response.... hehe, kind of like Novlin R.  When I switched from Humalog to Novolin R I noticed a couple things.  One was that I had to inject maybe 10-20% MORE insulin, and that it took maybe an extra half hour to start working.

Neither is a great selling point, but it was manageable and a clear choice given the price of the Humalog (or Novolog).

I was going to be charged roughly $300 for a box of Humalog pens.  300 units per pen, 5 pens per box is 1500 units total.  Divide by $300 you get $0.20 per unit. 

A vial (of the Novlin R from Walmart) contains 1,000 units and costs $28.  That is $0.028 per unit.  A bit more than 10% the cost.  And that is paying cash, no insurance.

Edited by JohnSchroeder