Diabetes forums
92SMoe

Online Research Survey: Factors of Health Management in T1D and T2D

92SMoe

Hi!

I am a doctoral candidate in clinical psychology at Spalding University in Louisville, Kentucky.  Please consider participation in research designed to examine patient and provider factors of health management within various chronic diseases, including Type 1 diabetes and Type 2 diabetes.  Information gained from this study will help healthcare providers increase understanding of the dynamics that influence health behavior, which is valuable for preventative care to improve individual and economic outcomes associated with chronic diseases such as diabetes.  To be eligible, participants must be diagnosed with a chronic disease, defined as a persistent health condition with a prolonged course of illness, and currently be prescribed medication for this chronic disease. Participants diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes or Type 2 diabetes will provide responses based on experiences with such condition.  Participants must be at least 18 years of age.  Participants who complete the survey have the opportunity to be entered to win a $50 Visa gift card.  Time to complete the study is approximately 10-15 minutes. Thank you!

Use this link https://www.questionpro.com/t/ANBaOZY9WPto access the survey. 

The current research was approved by the Human Subjects Institutional Review Board at Spalding University in Louisville, Kentucky. 

Kit

A little feedback.

1)  The survey spends a section talking about race and how that affects how they are treated by medical professionals.  Pity you didn't list gender.

2)  In regards to medication.  There was no option to say that you don't take medication for your chronic illness.  We have a number of individuals here who don't take medications for their diabetes.

3)  In a section about activities, there were a couple questions of note.

How confident are you that you can keep the fatigue caused by your chronic disease from interfering with the activities you want to do

What fatigue?

How confident are you that you can keep the physical discomfirt or pain of your disease from interfering with the things you want to do?

What pain?

How confident  are you that you can keep the emotional distress caused by your disease from interfering with the things you want to do?

What emotional distress?

etc

There is no option to say that these questions do not apply.

adiantum

Many members on this forum with type2  are not eligible to participate in this survey because we dont take meds .

Because of a low carb high fat diet & moderate exercise we have no emotional distress, fatigue, neuropathy etc

I was diagnose over ten years ago and this control works for me keeping my A1c below 6.3  which is higher then most forum members.

It was 11 when Dx.

I believe you are only researching those with type1 or if type 2 then its  those without control.

Surveys are vital for research, but it frustrates me knowing the author doesnt have a hollistic approach.

If your aim is to help healthcare workers understand diabetes, then I suggest you broaden your field of questions .

This will then teach these health care workers that they are most likely the ones causing chronic side effects such as kidney disease, amputations etc by recommending dangerously high carb diets.

Its the victims of the usual heath care workers recommendations that will need a psychologist .

It must be horrific for them having followed the advice from  the so called professionals and still getting complications.

To me, the professionals are members of this forum as its us that know how to control diabetes.

meyery2k

92SMoe - I would encourage you to research the posts here.  You will find that many live quite happily with diabetes.  I am one of them.  With the help of this forum I have been able to control my diabetes to the point where I don't need any medication.  Diet and exercise were the key.  Even my doctor comments that I don't currently present any symptoms and says it is in remission for now. 

I can ride a bike 100 miles in a day so there is no fatigue, aches, or pains here!  I have felt better mentally than I have in years.

I think we have a lot to offer many providers but, sadly, we seem to be in the minority.  We have to work hard to be where we are at.  It is mentally demanding.  I know people that have diabetes that "wish they could do what I do".  They see how I do it but they do not for now because their doctor says I am the one on the crazy diet that is going to have lots of problems down the road while my friend slowly progresses because all providers know "diabetes is a progressive condition".

I honestly don't know if it is or not but when I see something that works pretty consistently I would say, based on the amount of trees I see, we are in the forest.