Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jonas86

Is this prediabetes? Lab results seem confusing...

Jonas86

Is this prediabetes? Back in January, I was 30 pounds heavier and I found out my fasting blood sugar was 104 mg/dL. I quickly became alarmed and decided to go on a lifestyle change and lose weight and fend off prediabetes and any health problems. A few months later, by April of this year, I decided to undergo some extensive testing to see how I was doing- I underwent an OGTT, had my fasting glucose again, A1C and fasting insulin levels. My fasting glucose was 91 mg/dL, and my 2 hour sample after 75 grams of glucose was 108 mg/dL. My fasting insulin at that time was 7.2 mIU/mL and under 20 is considered normal . A1C at the time was 5.4 %. Three weeks later, I had another fasting test with insulin measured. This time it was 89 mg/dL and fasting insulin dropped to 4.8 mIU/mL which supposedly is great. After that test, in early May, I went on vacation and indulged in carbs, steaks, pastries, desserts, wine, etc and did not exercise for nearly a month. After my return, I had another OGTT along with fasting insulin test. This time, I did not do so great. My fasting glucose went up to 98 mg/dL and I spiked high at 1 hour after 75 grams of glucose to 187 mg/dL. However, at 2 hours, I was at 125 mg/dL. My fasting insulin this time was higher than ever at 8.2 mIU/mL. So, in just a matter of a few weeks or eating whatever I wanted and being sedentary, my body did not respond as well as you can see on the second test. Lastly, I had my most recent fasting test 2 weeks ago and it was 103 mg/dL. It seems to be if I start indulging too much and stop lifting weights and running, my fasting sugar increases into the prediabetic range though my A1C is normal. I know most of you are not doctors, but do you guys think based on my results I am prediabetic? My doctor did not seem concerned at all. How can anyone use fasting glucose to determine whether someone is prediabetic or not if fasting sugar can vary in just a few weeks depending on diet and activity level? I am confused. By the way, I am 32 years old and male.

meyery2k

Welcome!

Perhaps you do not tolerate carbs well.  When I went low carb high fat and exercised, my diabetes went into remission.  You might want to consider getting a cheap meter and strips and do some testing after meals to see how your body reacts to different foods.  Generally, fasting glucose would be the last place you will see a change if you are insulin resistant.

Test before you eat and note glucose.  Test 90 minutes, 2 hours, then 3 hours after eating.  Within 2 hours you should be close to where you started.

Jonas86
22 minutes ago, meyery2k said:

Welcome!

Perhaps you do not tolerate carbs well.  When I went low carb high fat and exercised, my diabetes went into remission.  You might want to consider getting a cheap meter and strips and do some testing after meals to see how your body reacts to different foods.  Generally, fasting glucose would be the last place you will see a change if you are insulin resistant.

Test before you eat and note glucose.  Test 90 minutes, 2 hours, then 3 hours after eating.  Within 2 hours you should be close to where you started.

Thanks for your reply. I tested with a very high carb meal containing between 275-300 grams of carbs. I had Chinese food and ate a generous portion of fried rice, orange chicken, steak, spring rolls, and drank Pepsi. I started off at 89 mg/dL after not eating in several hours. At 1 hour, I went up to between 145 and 150 mg/dL. I didn’t come down exactly at the 2 hour mark, but exactly at 2 hours 10 minutes, I started getting readings around 125 mg/dL. By about 3 hours, I was around 97-100 mg/dL. Normally, I don’t consume 275-300 grams of carbs in 1 meal but this was an experiment and considering being sedentary for several weeks I didn’t think it was terrible but who knows. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.