Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

buddy7

How plastic is affecting our environment!

buddy7
14 hours ago, Kit said:

I look at it this way.  You can either wallow in what is wrong, which I feel is the purpose of this thread, or you can focus on what can be done to improve the situation.

For example, what can we as individuals do to make things better.  There are small things that can be done by individuals.  reduce the amount of waste we each produce.  It doesn't seem like I can do a lot.  but I can reduce the waste I produce.  Go for reusable packaging.  Or packaging that can be safely composted.

Keep our own areas clean.  A neighbor of mine walks his dogs every morning.  He noticed, especially on the weekends, that he'd see a lot of garbage littering the entry road to our subdivision and the long road down to the park near us.  So every Saturday and Sunday morning, when he walks his dogs, he also picks up the litter and properly disposes of it.  Now its no longer clogging the fields and is away from local wildlife, at least in our area.  And once you start looking at things like that, you are more likely to pay much more attention to your own behavior when you are away from home.

Then there are things we can do as groups.  What organizations out there are focusing on the problem?  Volunteer your time to help those organizations.  Or, if that isn't possible, donate money.

Or you can focus on policy.  There was enough pressure from the community, that Seattle eventually put a ban on plastic bags and why most of the surrounding areas are doing the same.

Or maybe education.  Helping others become aware of the situation and provide ways they can also take steps to improve the situation.

A 10 second Google search brought up this site with some suggestions on how we can start as well as listing a few groups who are actively working on the problem..

https://www.oceanicsociety.org/blog/1720/7-ways-to-reduce-ocean-plastic-pollution-today

Hi Kit! On your response yesterday, I realize I made an error. When you asked the question, “So Buddy, what are you doing to change things”? Without any thought whatsoever I replied to the “Air pollution” post, instead of the main thread “How plastic is affecting our environment”! Look, please accept my apology. My mistake of course. (Sorry)

buddy7

Have to say Kit, what a brilliant response to the thread, most of the points you raised in your reply, made so much sense, have to utterly agree with them all. And if I may add as I reiterate on a few occasions on the thread “awareness” The aim is to increase understanding of the plastic pollution problem so more sustainable solutions are found, innovations implemented, and more people and organizations are empowered to take action to stop plastic pollution and live plastic-free. Solutions include recycling, new technologies, legislation, changes in individual attitudes and habits, responsible business processes and practices, and paradigmatic changes on a global scale.

In some ways, it’s a no-brainer, just a minute of thought on how you disposed of your waste, and behavioral pattern, if you miss the bin, go back picked it up and put it in the bin. All stems from good housekeeping of your trash. And as you quite rightly said. “Helping others become aware of the situation and provide ways they can also take steps to improve the situation”.

The thread was going since June 11 and one can only appreciate the likes of yourself and a few others who came on to the thread and voice their opinion, of course, it will always be my delight to have more people come on with their input. However, it’s my view it’s an outstanding thread and at the moment a lack of followers who hopefully are willing to come on and give their viewpoints. And it makes sense to me where ever part of the world we live in, it’s our Planet Earth our environment matters. We are at this unique stage in our History, never before have we had such awareness of what we’re doing to our planet Earth. We all can do something about it, we all surely have a responsibility to care for our planet Earth. Surely the future of humanity indeed and all life on Earth now depends on all of us.

buddy7
22 hours ago, meyery2k said:

Thanks, Mike for the link, gradually, but change is about to happen, I fear it will take time but how long is a piece of string. Today more and more people around the world are becoming more aware of what plastic is doing to our planet Earth. I’m so pleased to see governments are waking up to this enormous plastic problem, we’re now faced. I can only say more governments should take a firm stance to eradicate the plastic bag once and for all. This, in my opinion, is a positive move.

Why is plastic being demonized?

Since the 1950s, 8.3bn tonnes of plastic has been produced. Plastic is seen as a versatile, indispensable product, but the environmental impact is becoming starker. Plastic is now so pervasive that recycling systems cannot keep up and the leakage into the environment is such that by 2050 plastic in the ocean will outweigh fish. Last year scientists found plastic fibers in tap water, and plastic has been found in the stomachs of sea creatures in the deepest part of the ocean. Most plastic waste ends up in landfill sites or leaks into the natural environment, where it is causing huge damage to the ecosystems on land and sea, creating near permanent contamination.

I have no doubt our UK government are literally struggling with our recycling waste, our Local Government Association (LGA) stated, Only a third of plastic food packaging can be recycled, says the Borough Councils, hence the different type of plastic being manufactured for retail use the rest finished up in landfills and incineration.

Since 2015 our UK government have spent 16 million of Tax payer’s money on recycling, now they tell us, two-thirds of plastic in packaging pots and trays are unrecyclable. Manufacturers must scrap the “smorgasbord” of plastics which are used in packaging for key foods so that Councils can reduce waste sent to landfill and increase recycling, the Local Government Association is warning today.

They haven’t got it right.

Edited by buddy7

buddy7

It almost becomes exasperating to read how plastic debris has inundated our remote UK coastline and endangering wildlife, the ubiquitous plastic bag, plastic bottles, and packaging which overruns some of the UK’s most beautiful beaches and remote coastline, endangering wildlife, marine animals, and some prestige bird life. We strongly urge our government to look again at the plastic manufacturers and their suppliers, the major soft drinks companies where billions of single-use plastic bottles are used. To heed some warning by educating the ignorance of the single-use plastic bottles use, and plastic bags, which are one of the main used containers that are polluting our coastlines. We’re at this pernicious crossroad, where, we all must share the responsibility to care for our Planet Earth.

Accessibility shows results that attitude toward waste reduction behavior which has an effect on both recycling and reducing waste behavior. Attitude toward waste reduction is determined by involvement, perceived cost and benefit, accessibility of a recycling program, and a subjective norm, which is becoming acceptable more so in our society today. We all are now doing that small part and showing a response to our Planet Earth.

Some time ago I was asked, “What are you doing to change things”? A solitary question which I found answerable, the fact is, we’re all in this (metaphorical) epidemic together, frustratingly prompt. Plastic pollution and this is not a quick fix or a single fix. No one individual can fix the problem of plastic pollution. Pollution is now clearly documented around the world by all Social Media, that’s, if you’re living under a rock, somewhere, then, you’ve got no chance of hearing about plastic pollution, but most of us today, with a good solid education of our environment, we can now challenge some of the major problems of pollution.

In answer to the above question, there are many ways one can show you care about our environment, first and foremost, awareness and to follow, some of the most common ways are reducing, reuse, and recycle. No matter how small or insignificant your actions may seem, they matter. It only takes one person to start a movement that could possibly lead to a major environmental breakthrough

I find myself pessimistically abusing the plastic manufactures, with the problem earmarked by no other but themselves for producing arguably an indispensable product that durability lasts forever. However, we’re left with these single-use plastic containers wherever you go. What’s now become detrimentally, destructive and have a gross impact on our environment?

buddy7

https://www.plasticpollutioncoalition.org/

How the scourge of plastic pollution is affecting Planet Earth in its entirety. This surely is a matter for concern.

How catastrophic can this get?

It’s a growing global alliance of individuals, organizations, businesses, and policymakers working toward a world free of plastic pollution and its toxic impacts on humans, animals, waterways and oceans, and the environment. 

How can our Earth survive this?

Hammer

Banning plastic bags seems like a good idea, but then again, as I mentioned in a previous post, I put all of my garbage in a heavy duty plastic trash bag on trash collection day, for my trash collector to pick up.  My neighbor has one of those large plastic trash cans that the trash collector offers.  That trash can is picked up by the trash truck, emptied into the trash truck, then set back down for my neighbor to roll back up to his house.  Since there is no plastic bag in that trash can, my neighbor just throws his trash into the can.  I once noticed that his trash can was still left at the end of his driveway, so since I was at my mailbox, which is a few feet from the trash can, I thought that I'd walk it back up to his house.  When I tried to move it, the stench from rotting food that was thrown in the can was so strong that I just left the trash can there.  Plastic trash bags prevent this type of thing, so I can't figure out what I would do if plastic bags were to be banned.  Sure, I want to help the environment, but I also want to make sure that my trash container is not left at my doorstep with rotting food in it.  What do others use when they put out their trash, if they don't use a plastic trash bag?  Paper grocery store bags used for trash always leak, and they would contribute to unsanitary conditions, so what else is left?

buddy7

Since 2003 the UK legislation recycling began, what they did according to the size of the house, each house was given, a blue bin for all recyclables, brown bin for food waste and gardening waste, and a green bin for all non-recyclables, i.e. plastic bags, some types of paper, napkins etc. At no time at all, none of these bins can be mixed, otherwise, you’ll be penalized. A weekly collection in my area, but of late some counties operate a fortnightly collection, to point out all bins must be pulled to the kerbside for collection. They are 3 garbage trucks come along sometimes consecutively. With one supervisor per truck. Bins are dragged to the garbage truck, hooked up automatically then dumped, empty bins are then lifted off and put back to the kerbside. Look, did a similar thing before, I plastic bag some of my food waste and put it in the non-recyclable bin, once they recognized a bad smell or stench, guarantee you, that bin gets left on the day at the kerbside. You’ll probably get a letter within a few days.

I can understand your point Hammer about the plastic trash bag, and before the 2003 recycling legislation in the UK, Plastic bags was all we were given to used and smaller bins, and then they use to collect them from your drives, down the side of the house wherever those plastic bags and smaller bins were, they use to find them. But legislation brought change. And another point, all garbage use to go into one garbage truck. Hence the problem we’ve got now, plastic pollution. I have no doubt the plastic bag will go eventually.

“if they don't use a plastic trash bag”? so what else is left?  I shan’t be too worried about that, already the scientist around the world are looking for an alternative, to replace the current plastic bag that takes some 500 years to decompose. The UK scientist is already working on a replacement bag, which been on trial for some time, I’m sure the USA scientist won’t be far away If they haven’t already had one in the pipeline. Some scientist is looking at the Biodegradable bag. Scientist in the third-world country of Uganda and Madagascar are also working on a replacement plastic bag, made from the Cassava root/plant, which should be ready within 2 years. So somewhere out there they will be a replacement degradable plastic bag and if I may add in all sizes and strength. Which of course would be at a cost.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=https%3a%2f%2fwww.youtube.com%2fwatch%3fv%3dLWenDQSvI84&view=detail&mid=BE417B504C0AA38941E6BE417B504C0AA38941E6&FORM=VIRE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eNQknh3l6U

Edited by buddy7

buddy7

Today I’ve narrated my thoughts to the environment which we take so much for granted at times, our existential planet Earth evolves itself around change, how often do we stop, look and observe how the process of change have a way of affecting our environment in a subtle manner. They are various natural changes which occur to our environment almost on a daily basis, which, humans are responsible for, sometimes not knowingly for that period. Environmental change is a change or disturbance of the environment, most often caused by human influences and natural ecological processes. Environmental changes can include any number of things, including natural disasters, human interferences, or animal interaction and many more.

Our environment is the natural world that surrounds us. It is very important for us all to keep it clean in order to live healthily and a peaceful life. However, the environmental pollution has become one of the biggest threats to Earth. It can affect our future one day. People suffer from their own mistakes. Pollution endangers our existence and destroys our living environment. The future will either be green or be a man-made toxic existence.

People are considered to be the most intelligent creatures on Earth who are able to learn new things in the universe which can lead them to the technological advancement. It goes without saying that there are many benefits to technological development for the economy but it also destroys our environment gradually. We develop technologies and science to make our lives better but we do not fall to thinking that it can ruin everything that surrounds us in the near future. The destructive human activity causes several adverse effects on the environment. The effects of pollution are devastating. It is very important to explore the various types of pollution and all possible ways of their prevention in order to make our planet a safe place for the growth and development of all living things.

Environment plays a significant role in making our existence on the planet possible. Everything we use to live a full life comes under the environment. We just can`t live without air, water, land, sunlight, animals, and other natural things. Environmental pollution is affecting our lives physically, emotionally, socially, economically, and intellectually. It has become a major worldwide issue which cannot be solved by the effort of one. We should do our best in order not to put the end to the existence of all living things on earth. Every person on our planet should take a little step to save our environment and maintain its originality.

The environment, defined as the natural world is relied upon for the existence of life on earth. These natural surroundings have always been and continue to be impacted by mankind, with the increasing human population and technology on a number of factors. Some of these effects remain positive, which benefit the environment and the human race as a whole while others are negative, which damage or harm the environment, through little benefit to humans overall. These damaging changes include mass deforestation, the diminishing amounts of species, pollution, climate change, deforestation, air pollution and water misuse.

We are all creatures of habit, and changing our behaviour takes some time. Small steps are the key, and once you find how easy each step is, you will be surprised how quickly you can make a positive difference in protecting our environment for your family and the planet on a whole.

Edited by buddy7

buddy7

Hi Clint, I'm always intrigued an encourage, to see yet another supermarket chain has taken a stand to ban all plastic bags from their stores, goes to show the world’s beginning to take heed to the extreme plastic bag use, what the world has been experiencing where ever you go today. For some time now, I found myself pessimistically abusing the plastic manufactures, with the problem earmarked by no other but themselves for producing arguably an indispensable product that durability lasts forever.

What I found provoked an unprofessional negative response to any study to advocate to any supermarket chain. “This comes after several studies found that replacements are often far worse for the environment”. What they are actually saying, they haven’t come up yet with an alternative, environmental friendly degradable plastic bag. (A sense of reluctance). For some 50 years the world has been on its knees, at the catastrophic devastation and controversy the plastic bag has caused around the world, which brought an increase devastating risk of diseases to the ecosystem, in its entirety, with the aptly phrase called today, “plastic pollution”, which is now destroying our environment. (Hence the thread)

Already the world scientist is working together for an alternative, to replace the current plastic bag that takes some 500 years to decompose in landfills, and subject to marine mammals and life in our ocean habitat where plastic is taken as their diet. The UK scientist is already working on a replacement bag, which been on trial for some time, I’m sure the US scientist won’t be far away If they haven’t already had one in the pipeline. Some scientist is looking at the “Biodegradable” bag. Scientist in the third-world country of Uganda and Madagascar are also working on a replacement plastic bag, made from the Cassava root/plant, which should be ready within 2 years. I have no doubt, they will be a replacement degradable plastic bag in the near future, and if I may add in all sizes and strength. Which of course will be a cost to the retailer, which will be off-set to their customers.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=https%3a%2f%2fwww.youtube.com%2fwatch%3fv%3dLWenDQSvI84&view=detail&mid=BE417B504C0AA38941E6BE417B504C0AA38941E6&FORM=VIRE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eNQknh3l6U

Edited by buddy7

Kit

Um, we already have compostable bags.  I've got a couple rolls in my kitchen.  These particular ones are meant for items going into the compost bin.  I use them primarily for items I want to keep in my freezer (raw animal products) as its two weeks between pickups and during the summer, that can get very fragrant.  However, they are limited to just compostables disposal.  They cannot be tossed into recycle or mixed with recyclable plastic.  

And I don't understand why my cloth and other materials permanent grocery bags are worse for the environment than the average plastic.  I've had mine for close to a decade now I believe and so far have not had the need to replace any of them.

TX_Clint

I had a Aunt that made handbags by weaving plastic bags. They were actually quite nice and sales was good for her. 

buddy7

“This comes after several studies found that replacements are often far worse for the environment”. The post-Kroger's Feel-Good Ban on Plastic Bags Is Worse...

Not my text, or my rhetoric: ludicrous and outrageous “TRASH “needs throwing out.

These “proverbial” crackpot News journalist, always going to have their say, always put me in mind of the salesman on his job, thousands of miles away from his depot, and when he gets to his potential customer, realises he’s left his samples at the depot; (cry’s the man):( what do I do now? (Inept) This kind of guy just doesn’t know his business. Stupidity at its most profound.

A few agreeable texts:

"Plastic is killing our planet," Instagram user Danielle Jenkins said. "Convenience isn't worth all that it's costing us. Ditch the plastic!"

“Those mourning the loss of their trusty trash liners have quite a bit of time to figure out a solution, however: The change isn't being made until 2025”.

"Kroger announced Thursday that it will stop putting groceries in single-use plastic bags by 2025. Company leaders hope to transition customers to reusable bags rather than disposable ones that often end up in landfills or as litter. Customers will be able to buy reusable bags at its stores for $1 to $2 apiece, the Associated Press reported".

Unfortunately, we in the UK also suffered the 10p levy per reusable bag, when they scrap the free

Plastic bags at our supermarket checkouts.

The nature of the thread hinges itself around “pollution”. But have to agree with Kit’s statement. Kit’s bags are all environmentally friendly.

“And I don't understand why my cloth and other materials permanent grocery bags are worse for the environment than the average plastic.  I've had mine for close to a decade now I believe and so far have not had the need to replace any of them”.

The study found, for example, that a shopper would have to reuse an organic cotton bag 2,000 times before it equalled the environmental impact of one disposable plastic bag. If that shopper went to the store twice a week, it would take them 19 years before that bag was better for the environment than the plastic bag they replaced it with.

My point exactly, the wear and tear of Kit’s bags will durably outlast the plastic bag by some 2000 times before it reaches the landfill site. (Rest my case).

https://www.investors.com/politics/editorials/krogers-plastic-bags-ban-environment/

buddy7

Going back to the Kroger plastic bag ban: Some time ago, meet this Author who wrote children poetry for a Television company, we called him John, the kind of guy well over my head, discussing how I would like to become like him. He gave me a few tips, he said to me, in a jovial manner, your better stories always come to you on the way back from the bathroom on nights and you’re trying to get yourself back to sleep, that’s where most of my storylines come into my head for the next day. Gave it some thought.

Kroger:Company leaders hope to transition customers to reusable bags rather than disposable ones that often end up in landfills or as litter. Customers will be able to buy reusable bags at its stores for $1 to $2 apiece, the Associated Press reported". Can recalled when the UK Government announced the banning of all free plastic bags at the supermarket checkouts, meant, that was the end of all single-use give away plastic bags, the levy at the time was 5p per reusable plastic bag, since then, my supermarket has imposed a new levy of 10p for a reusable bag, a more sturdier bag but not recyclables, they call it a bag for life.

What I found very strange, how they censored the word reusable bag, at a cost. We must never be bamboozled into thinking these bags of which we now pay for, are recyclable plastic bags, and If I may say so, there’s no such thing yet, as a complete recyclable plastic bag, that is, NOT in the UK. And I got thinking for some time, this is yet another capitalist cash spin the supermarket chains use to enhance profits. They will like you to believe, according to the government, there is a "clear expectation" the proceeds from the bag charge will go to good causes. It's up to the individual retailer to decide what cause to support. But how does the government know retailers are being honest about the way they charge for bags and donate to charity? To be quite honest with you, they don’t. Last year, some of the larger retailers in the UK paid £17m in VAT from the plastic-bag charge, my maths tells me they are making quite a lot of money from the levy on plastic bags. (You work it out)

Of course, there’s an option, you don’t have to buy these reusable plastic bags, from your supermarket chain, as like so many others do. You have a choice, you can lay out for a proper machine stitched cloth shopping bag, or opt for the brown organic crocus shopping bag, of which both are washable and would outlast the plastic bag, any time, and they are environmentally friendly.

And, one of the things that get to me, you’re prompted at the checkout lanes, do you want any bags? Knowing full well, somewhere down the aisle in the same supermarket, they are the proper shopping bag you buy once, and this outweighs the cost of paying for them, every time you go up to the checkouts. Unless you’re an overzealous shopper and drives around with non-recyclable plastic bags in the boot of your car. (Ridiculous) The supermarket retailers love when you can buy them ever time at the checkouts. To be quite frank with you, I dumped non-recyclable plastic bags in the correct bin, because of “Plastic pollution” to the environment, I cringe to think where my non-recyclable plastic bag goes, to the incinerator or landfills?

Some weeks ago I watched a documentary, A-Z on where our waste goes too can be quite scary, in a pleasant way.

buddy7

An extraordinary thread, diverse with factual abstracts of our environment which plays a significant role in making our existence on the planet possible. Everything we use to live a full life comes under the environment. We just can`t live without air, water, land, sunlight, animals, and other natural things. Reminiscing! I look back at one of my favourable post, which I found myself deliberating on. “Air”. You can’t escape from it. Everybody has to breathe, and when the air isn’t clean your health is affected. Air pollution is a problem for all of us. You might think that you are healthy because you eat well, and do only healthy things, so you cannot be sick. But, Air pollution today has become a most serious threat to humans, where ever you are in the world, especially in the large cities because of the huge level of industrialization.

All living things use air and it must be clean to maintain life on earth. When air pollution becomes the subject, what do you think about? Smog, acid rain, and other forms of outdoor pollution are the common things people think about. Air pollution can also exist indoors as in closed ventilated areas that we surround. This makes the air that we breathe indoors inescapable and the pollution exists both indoor and outdoor. For example, hair spray usage indoor is polluting the air inside because of the emissions of toxic chemicals used to create the product are likely to happen when dispersed.

“Air pollution” Which of course brings with it life threating diseases. Globally, it’s estimated that around 7 million people die every year from exposure to fine particles in the polluted air that lead to diseases such as stroke, heart disease, lung cancer, chronic obstructive pulmonary diseases, pneumonia respiratory infections, including, Asthma, Emphysema, and Chronic Bronchitis.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-6105291/Polluted-air-causes-huge-reduction-intelligence-shocking-study-reveals.html

buddy7

Some weeks ago I watched a documentary, A-Z on where our waste goes too can be quite scary, in a pleasant way.

A waste collector is a person employed by a public or private enterprise to collect and remove waste and recyclables from residential, commercial, industrial or other collection sites for further processing and disposal. But having said that, think this is a prevalent fact in the industry wherever today.

Who would take garbage away from people's home and businesses where all types of nasty horrible stuff we disposed of, including the scary ones, i.e. hazardous waste, to keep the environment clean, pleasant and healthy?

Looking at the documentary, I was able to put together a creative comprehension of my thoughts as I see it. And noted, saw nothing special about their clothing for handling liquid and other hazardous waste, baring their Hi Vis Overalls and gloves. It’s a dirty job, but someone has to do it.

Cities are now struggling with the problems of a high build-up of waste and its impact on our immediate and global environment. As a result, environmental pollution has come to an alarming stage where our environment is experiencing an irreparable damage. Solid and liquid wastes, as well as gas particles released from the industries; runoff pesticides and fertilizers from the agricultural practices as well as household sewage from urban regions, have come to a point beyond disposal.

However, this problem has also given citizens an opportunity to look for solutions by involving their society and private sectors, by involving latest innovations for disposal of waste and last but not the least, involving behavioural changes and raising people’s consciousness.

The term waste management generally relates to those materials which are produced by human activity and is usually undertaken to reduce the effect of these activities on their health and environment. Waste management is also useful to recover

Useful resources from the waste. Waste management involves all solid, liquid and gaseous or radioactive substances which are managed with different methods and expertise is required for each of them. Waste management practices are different for different countries of the world be it developed or developing nations. The management is different for urban and rural areas, for residential and industrial waste producers. Management of residential and institutional waste in cities and metros is done by the local government authorities or what we call as Municipal Corporation, while management of non-hazardous commercial and industrial waste is done by the generator of such waste.

Landfill- Disposing of waste in a landfill involves burying the waste under the ground which is a common practice in most countries of the world. Landfills are often established in abandoned or unused quarries, borrow pits or mining voids. If a landfill is properly designed and well-managed it can become a hygienic and relatively inexpensive method of disposing of waste materials. Landfills which are older, poorly designed or poorly managed create a number of adverse environmental impacts like the attraction of vermin, wind-blown litter, and generation of liquid leachate. A by-product of landfills is gas which mostly comprises carbon dioxide and methane, which is produced as and when organic waste breaks down. This gas might kill surface vegetation, create odour problems, and is a greenhouse gas. Waste which is deposited is normally compacted to increase its stability and density and is always covered to prevent attracting mice or rats. To extract the landfill gas many landfills have gas extraction systems installed. Gas is pumped out of the landfill using pipes which have holes and are flared off or burnt in a gas engine to generate electricity.

meyery2k

Landfills are a compelling topic on an island.  Especially when wells and groundwater are primary potable water sources.

buddy7
On 9/13/2018 at 3:53 PM, meyery2k said:

Landfills are a compelling topic on an island.  Especially when wells and groundwater are primary potable water sources.

And quite rightly so: A very long time ago, lived for a short period in the tropics, one of the Caribbean Islands, the water there, was a prime source, as like in many tropical Islands. The locals there, were always cautious where they caught their drinking from, of course, at the time this was an undeveloped third world Island, well before infrastructure and civil engineering, found it hard at the time to comprehend why locals collect drinking water from specific areas but had to learn very fast about water pollution.

Virtually all water pollutants are hazardous to humans as well as lesser species; sodium is implicated in cardiovascular disease, nitrates in blood disorders. Mercury and lead can cause nervous disorders.

Without a proper Sewerage system, the locals there constantly fell ill, from water bodies’ contamination, usually as a result of human activities. Water bodies include for example lakes, ponds, rivers, sea, waterfalls and aquifers and polluted groundwater. Water pollution results when contaminants are introduced into the natural environment. Wastewater, or sewage, from communities. With no modern sewage systems fall short of a catalogue of various domestic/hygienic illnesses, that rapidly spread from village to village. Where uneducated Governments fail, and funds are not correctly monitored to needed areas.

buddy7
9 hours ago, meyery2k said:

Even elephants are in the know...

Thanks, Mike for the vid…

What an extraordinary intelligent species, noted by using her trunk to move the morsel to her feet and a coordinated lift with her trunk and feet manage to get the morsel in the bucket without fail. Don’t try this at home humans you’ll fail every time. You now see why circuses around the world abuse them, for their unique skills and intelligent, to make money.

Our Story

Elephants are not here for human entertainment. Yet, humans allow them to suffer in captivity in zoos and circuses and in other human entertainment practices such as riding an elephant. Humans are the only predator of elephants and they are being poached for their ivory at alarming rates. Poaching is of such high incidence that the African elephants may be extinct by 2020. Our immediate goal is assisting existing sanctuaries. Elephant Freedom Sanctuary will exist for two reasons: 1) to provide public education on the global crisis facing these social, sensitive, complex and exceedingly intelligent species. 2) Elephants are an endangered species. Our organization will use social media, sign global petitions and present with fundraising and awareness campaigns to fight for elephant survival and proliferation.

buddy7

There’s a big debate going on at the moment on Recycling and Integrated Assets at Viridor, (Recycling plant) the public are confused about what and how to recycle, with the range of collection approaches in the UK and the stretching of local authority collection periods leading to continued contamination of potentially good material for recycling. A more standardised approach to waste collection, across local authority boundaries, would deliver economies of scale, encourage more social infrastructure in the right places and help boost economic growth.

The Viridor UK recycling index also shows a clear need for better recycling education, with seven in ten people in the UK, feeling frustrated about not having enough education on materials for recycling. The success of the recycling process begins with the public, and it’s heartening that people really do want to do the right thing, but they need a clear and concise message from their local authorities if we are to collectively improve recycling performance and reach national targets.”

Lack of Trust

The Index shows a growing lack of trust in those perceived to be responsible for recycling. There is now a 43% trust gap between people who think the National Government is responsible for recycling waste and those who trust them a great deal to ensure their waste is recycled properly.

Seven in ten believe taxpayers are being held accountable for the cost of recycling products, but think the product manufacturers and businesses selling products should be paying this cost, “something I said some time ago”, highlighting that the public believes the responsibility lies at the start of a product’s life. I.e. (the plastic manufactures)

However, consumers are also willing to do their share and are open to initiatives that could lead to an increase in recycling levels.

Most people are trying their best to recycle plastic - but the many different ways in which recycling is collected by different Council’s Authorities across the UK has left them confused.

What can be recycled and what can't? We are putting more plastic in recycling than ever before, where at some time gets dumped in our oceans, where marine life gets entangled in all manner of waste plastic, meaning the pressure is on to do more.

The government is now considering changing the way plastic is recycled in the UK is done. I see the UK citizens are in complete disarray on strategies for recycling, which has been this way for some time, a devolved issue!

disposed waste.jpg

buddy7

Plastic pollution has become an overused phrase in our vocabulary today, one of our greatest destructive epidemics, which has reached alarming heights and is increasing rapidly with every passing day. It has become a cause of global concern as it is destroying our beautiful planet and having negative repercussions on all kinds of living beings.

The ubiquitous plastic bags, which has become conveniently notorious among shoppers today and with our ignorance finish up in landfills, our waterways, our oceans, get broken into tiny pieces that go into the water bodies and enter the soil thereby disrupting the growth of plants and causing harm to the aquatic life. These bags can easily be replaced by reusable cloth bags, of which are washable and would outlast the plastic bag any time, and they are environmentally friendly.

More people should raise awareness about the big problem that the world is facing because of all products made of plastic. Marine animals are some of the most affected species of nature, therefore most of us today we have a chance to make huge progress in the fight against plastic pollution.

The poison that’s affecting us all. The scourge of our Earth.

There’s no question. Plastic pollution is a serious problem.

For decades, advocates have been alerting us to the floating gyres of trash out at sea and throughout many shores, in the world, today, where sea turtles ingest plastic bits and plastic bags clog their digestive tracts. These days you can’t go long without seeing the next viral photo of some horrifying intertwinement of animal and plastic debris posted alongside the countless solutions proposed to address the problem.

This culture opened the floodgates for a whole lineage of single-use disposable plastics, and now it’s nearly impossible to avoid the plastic packaging that’s covering almost everything we want to buy.

What we might not have realized before, but is so clear now, is that there is a limit to how much excessive, unnecessary production we can handle, and the Earth is telling us loudly that we’ve reached it. Let’s stop holding on so tightly to plastic bags. We’re better without them, and there’s no time like the present to act. I’d say dump the plastic.

image.jpeg.df278b433b3da701ee6cd8c68fed4d6e.jpeg