Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Larry H.

Seeing the results of poor maintenance of diet and exercise.

Larry H.

I have been taking it pretty regular but frankly I can't be sure if I checked it before I ate. Tonight I did and it was 115.  I had some cod fish and one carrot cut in strips steamed with some broccoli.  It just came out at 120.  The dinner was fine but I am having a difficult time with the absolute limitations of eating almost anything I really like.  

meyery2k

That is promising.  It is a lot of finger pokes at first but you will discover what you can tolerate.   

Yes, I agree that it is mental.  80% I think for what it is worth.  In time, for me, the new foods I adopted became habit.  I can cook so I prepare them in ways that I enjoy them all.

There are many sugar free and carb free alternatives to favorite foods.  There is a section on this forum dedicated to that subject.

Larry H.

This morning I saw a 93 which was at least encouraging.  It actually made me feel a bit guilty of having my morning brand flakes and blueberries. I can see  how keeping the carbs very low can change your health prospects. 

Larry H.

Well so much for the cereal and blueberries, I got a 164 a few minutes ago.  When I first started it actually used to drop after I had breakfast! 

Carol_42
On 6/11/2018 at 9:22 AM, Orlando said:

Apart from carbohydrates you maybe be eating too much protein, its worth checking out. I have to be strict with both carbohydrates and proteins. I also shifted to two meals a day, takes a bit of getting used to but you soon learn to manage it. If you are not familiar with with the term "gluconeogenesis" then its worth learning a bit about it. Can be a problem re too much protein for both pre diabetics and T2  diabetics.

Re: too much protein

Orlando.  Sometimes, not every day, I get painful leg and foot cramping.  When this happens I use a copper fit calf belt and that usually works.  I've talked to doctors about the cramping but they deny knowing what causes it.  But I have learned that too much protein intake can cause muscle cramps and muscle spasms, among other ailments.  Orlando, you are "right on target" about this.  And I thank you for bringing this to my attention again because last night I had a miserable (the most painful) experience with muscle cramps in my right leg and foot.  I had to take a Naproxen to get rid of it because the belt wasn't working.  And low and behold, the light bulb went on in my head, and I remembered that I ate about two cups of pulled pork yesterday around 4:00 p.m.  I ate only pork nothing else.  I pigged out so much, there was no room for the salad I would normally eat at that time of day.  So I suffered because I didn't think with my head, but rather with my stomach.

Re: maintenance of food and exercise

Larry H.  I've been a "Yo-yo" dieter all my adult life, ever since I began having children.  And when I started the menopause and endured a fast and painful hormonal change, I went from 118 lbs to 150 lbs in five (5) months.  And when I stopped smoking seven (7) years ago, I put on another 20 lbs (which I have never lost). 

Long story short: I joined this group about 1-1/2 years ago because I was diagnosed with pre-diabetes and I got scared about the possibilities of what could happen to me if my A1cs went higher and higher.  Okay, granted, my A1c was not off the map when I was first diagnosed, but I was dang close to being diagnosed with diabetes 2.  So I went on a strict Keto diet for about 7-8 months, then modified it by watching what I ate, but not 100% Keto.  I haven't eaten a banana since I joined this group, so that's cool.  All kidding aside,  I still abstain from most fruits and vegetables and grains.  And I have almost eliminated processed foods but eat cheese from time to time and ice cream (growwwl).  Over the past few months I have learned that my biggest problem with my health is not always about what I "pig out" on.  It's lack of exercise.  That is my biggest "Ouch" and I'm still working on it as we speak.

So hang in there, Larry H.  We are a survivors!  Kudos to all of us!@#*

Hugs, Carol

Carol_42
15 hours ago, Larry H. said:

I have been taking it pretty regular but frankly I can't be sure if I checked it before I ate. Tonight I did and it was 115.  I had some cod fish and one carrot cut in strips steamed with some broccoli.  It just came out at 120.  The dinner was fine but I am having a difficult time with the absolute limitations of eating almost anything I really like.  

Psyche yourself out, Larry, and try replacing your older menu of what you really like with new healthy foods you really like.  And you may want to try preparing your foods in a different way and on different size plates or bowls.  Before Keto, I use to add a banana to my smoothies every day, but not no more.  There are 24 carbs in one medium banana.  Yikes!  So I started adding 1/2 to 1/4 cup of avocado,  1-cup spinach and 1/2 cup berries to my smoothies (along with other healthy stuff) and that satisfied me just fine.  That's when I was on the smoothie food fad but I'm not there anymore. 

Now for breakfast, I eat 1/4 cup chopped tomatoes (seasoned with apple cider vinegar & diet sugar) and 1/4 cup chopped English cucumber (seasoned with apple cider vinegar, diet sugar, an about 1/2 tbsp mayo). Along with these vegetables, I eat a daikon pancake almost every morning.  I get my vegetables every morning for sure, and the pancake has 1-large egg and 1/4 cup chopped or pulled pork loin in it: so there's my protein. I use to add frozen pork patties but stopped that because processed foods are bad for cholesterol.   Daikon is good for the bones and that is why I have incorporated this vegetable into my daily diet.  I'm a recent cancer survivor (going on 5-years NED) and treatment for cancer raises havoc with the body, especially the bones.  So I am a Daikon girl for life.

Have a great day, Larry.  I hope I haven't come on too strong.  If I have just give me a good kick.  <G>

Carol

Kit
21 minutes ago, Carol_42 said:

\Along with these vegetables, I eat a daikon pancake almost every morning.  I get my vegetables every morning for sure, and the pancake has 1-large egg and 1/4 cup chopped or pulled pork loin in it: so there's my protein.

Oooh, share that recipe.  It sounds good.

Carol_42
On 6/11/2018 at 6:28 PM, Larry H. said:

Not sure what exactly it means.  My morning today was 105 which was good lately. But tonight I had only a 35 carb fifth of a piece of pizza.  It came in at 195, one of the highest I have seen, although before I cut back realizing the problem I most likely would have seen higher.  If the morning reading is lower than 125 is that still pre diabetes?  Or is this a switch to type two.  

Go here to get an idea of healthy and unhealthy fasting glucose numbers.  Many people here at this site have a daily FBG under 100 mg/dl.  I'm not going to step outside of myself to say what is best for you.  But people here strive to stay under 125 mg/dl and much, much lower.  I was shocked and very happy that my FBG was 97 mg/dl this morning.  That is unheard of for me.  Usually I'm around 111 mg/dl to 124 mg/dl, depending on many factors which can give rise to a depressive state (at least in my case): meter readings.  

Sooo ...since March 1, 2018 I've been testing my FBG ONLY on Sunday morning.  And the reason for that is because I was getting stressed with testing both hands (fingers) with a temperamental ReliOn meter that gave goofy readings.  And then there was that dang liver dumping that made me nuts.  All these things added up to an unnecessary amount of stress which I did not need in my life.  

BTW, I use to do postprandial readings two and three hours after meals.  I was testing many times a day back then, especially when I was trying to determine which foods raised my blood glucose levels.  Check out the chart at the link below.

http://www.rajeun.net/HbA1c_glucose.html

Kit
4 hours ago, Larry H. said:

Well so much for the cereal and blueberries, I got a 164 a few minutes ago.  When I first started it actually used to drop after I had breakfast! 

That was actually likely a reactive lowering.

When we're insulin resistant, our bodies have to make more insulin in order to handle glucose.  With higher carb meals, this can mean there is a lot of insulin circulating and sometimes that can kind of all of a sudden have an affect and actually drive our BG levels into lows (sometimes called a reactive hypo).

The reaction might give the appearance as good, but the big downside to this behavior is all of that circulating insulin.  Our cells become awash in it and it can actually increase insulin resistance, which makes control even harder.  Which puts more stress on your pancreas to produce more insulin, which means more circulating insulin, which helps make insulin resistance worse.  You can see the downward spiral this produces.  I also suspect this is one of the primary reasons T2 diabetes is considered a progressive disease.  .  In pushing our bodies to cope with something we are no longer tolerant to, we are actually making the situation worse and not better.  Add that medical professionals often accept and even encourage higher than normal BG levels as acceptable or even good control, you can see how complications are so common among T2 diabetics.

This is why I personally tend to keep things as steady as possible and try not to stress my body.  In the hopes that this will keep my insulin resistance from getting worse and keeping away complications.

This first bit of investigation can be frustrating at times as you realize things you love, or even just in the habit of eating, or things you are told you should eat, turn out to have less than desired affects on our numbers.

When I was first diagnosed, I was given a breakfast sample.  One was yogurt parfait.  No fat plain unsweetened greek yogurt layered with "healthy" granola.  I ate that for breakfast almost every morning for a month.  And my after breakfast numbers were always horrible.  As I am in many ways a professional troubleshooter, it was natural for me to grasp the idea of eating to your meter.

So I started changing things up, reducing or dropping the amount of granola, replacing it with something else, or dropping it completely.  I eventually came to the conclusion that my body didn't like any of the cereals not the yogurt.  I missed the cereals, but thankfully I hate yogurt so I don't miss it at all.  :)

The old bacon and eggs or similar breakfast works best for me, though there are many options.  Like the diakon pancakes Carol mentions above.  Or zucchini fritters that I happen to adore.  There are also recipes for keto friendly cereals made out of nuts and seeds and using almond or coconut milks (lower carb than cows milk).  I've even made biscuits and sausage gravy using a low carb biscuit recipe and making the gravy from cooked sausage and heavy cream simmered until it thickens nicely.

So lots of options out there.  As I mentioned above, a lot of this is a mental game.  I chose to look at it as an adventure.  I get to try out all sorts of new things, which I have always enjoyed.

Dinner last night, zucchini noodles with sauteed shrimp and pesto.  It was pretty good, though suffered from a store bought prepared pesto sauce with added olive oil to get the consistency I wanted.  Would have been a lot better with home made pesto, but I am way too lazy for that.  :D

meyery2k

I remember when I first came here, I was going to show everyone and be the diabetic that could eat flour tortillas.  Sadly, my meter dashed that hope to pieces.  

I have found that I can prepare food better now and eat a much more varied diet with no starches.

Carol_42
1 hour ago, Kit said:

Oooh, share that recipe.  It sounds good.

Sure, Kit, here we go.  Mix together in small bowl:

1-tsp regular flour (It's only 2-carbs and (along with baking powder) gives fluff and or bulk to pancake)

1/4-tsp baking powder

1/4-tsp pink salt or iodized

1/4-tsp pepper (or to taste)

Blend or combine dry ingredients, then add:

1/2-cup finely chopped daikon radish (skin removed)

1/4 cup cooked pork loin (chopped or pulled)

1-large egg

Combine ingredients well

Heat skillet (I use a RedCopper 5-Minute Chef.  It's my new cooking toy)

Dissolve 1/2-tsp butter in pan

Add the daikon mixture and spread evenly.

Cook about 5-6 minutes on each side

Serve with sweetened tomatoes and cucumbers and enjoy.

Sometimes I'll eat 1/2 cup mixed fresh/frozen berries with this meal.  I sweeten berries with a little Lemonade Mio and enough water to make it more pleasurable to eat.  The mixed berries in the package are a good blend of blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries: all my favorites.

Daikon pancake macronutrients: Cal 143.25  Fat 6.6  Carb 4  Prot 21.84

I use to add chopped olives, jalapeno peppers, and cheese to the daikon pancake.

To prevent the pancake from becoming soggy, drain/pat all wet veggies on napkins or paper towels before adding to daikon mixture.

I forgot to mention that I also add a small squirt of Orange Vanilla Mio to the batch of chopped tomatoes (about 8-large Roma)

1/4 cup chopped tomatoes is 1.76 grams carbs

1/4 cup chopped cucumber is 1 gram carb
Enjoy ...

Larry H.

This morning I had a 91 fasting.  I had hoped my breakfast which was pretty skimpy would hold the numbers more normal but with a very small bowl of cereal, half of which was all bran for extra fiber and a few blue berries I ended up at 155 again.  I just seems any even small amount of carbs turns in to high numbers.  I have been working in to the Keto type meals but when I read on line the dangers of it seem a bit scary.  I do drink several mugs of coffee and I read where that can effect your numbers as well?  One site with lots of questions and answers had a similar situation and he called it "Oral Glucose Tolerence" test to check when those kind of high numbers for small amounts of carbs are causing trouble.  He did say that when you have been getting reasonably high numbers a low carb, high protein diet might after some time give the liver a break and cause the numbers to fall some. I am not opposed to eating the Keto way for a while, but there are surely a lot of warnings of doing it for extended periods.  

TX_Clint

Larry, I've been eating a very low carb, generally under 30g, for over 6 years with absolutely no issues at all. Most of the negative comments I've read about a keto type of diet has been either a total misunderstanding of the body's nutritional needs or trying to promote something else or themselves.

meyery2k

Larry - Bran cereal is not your friend ;)

I have been doing low carb/high fat for over 2 years.  I am in as good a shape physically and mentally as I was in my twenties.

I find that I don't really fit into a label such as keto, paleo, or Atkins.  I eat things I enjoy that don't spike my glucose.  Diabetes control has always been my number one goal and the other things followed.  Rather than follow a plan, you might find it better to use your meter to find the things you can eat and then go for it.  Sometimes classifications make things more complicated.

Good fasting number!  

Kit

Oh and Dr Bernstein's web site.  You can read portions of his book on the subject for free there.  I found it quite encouraging as at the same time I was diagnosed my brother went blind from Diabetic Retinopathy and all of the professionals I was seeing were telling me that complications were inevitable.

http://www.diabetes-book.com/

Larry H.

I must really be sensitive to things I don't realize. I took my before lunch reading at 103 for which I was happy.  I had a piece of fish and one carrot and some broccoli steamed.  With it I had one almond four cookie that is rated at l 1/2 carbs.  It got a 138 which wasn't too thrilling.   Last night I had the same meal except for the one cookie and had 116. Could one almond flour cooking cause over 20 points more? 

meyery2k

How many carbs were in the almond flour cookie.  Carrots have carbs too.  Perhaps the combination.  The type of sweetener in the cookie might also be a culprit.

Fraser

Yes one cookie can cause a spike,  that happens with me on anything that includes flour.  Flour is absorb more quickly than whole grain.

it not necessarily the amount of carbs, but the type that can cause a spike.

thats why one needs to understand about glycemic index

Kit
27 minutes ago, Larry H. said:

Its less than two carbs.  I used splenda as the sweetner. 

Powdered or liquid?  Most of the powdered sweeteners actually contain fillers (including sugar) for bulk and anti clumping.  I finally had to give up on them and I now stick to either liquid stevia or liquid sucralose.

I've heard good things about granulated erythritol but have not tried it personally.

Fraser

Before someone says something i under stand almond flour is considered one the better choices for a t2 trying to control is does not mean it cannot cause spikes.  

Larry H.
2 hours ago, Kit said:

Powdered or liquid?  Most of the powdered sweeteners actually contain fillers (including sugar) for bulk and anti clumping.  I finally had to give up on them and I now stick to either liquid stevia or liquid sucralose.

I've heard good things about granulated erythritol but have not tried it personally.

Yes I read of that ingredient in a number of recipes but when you google it there are lots of warnings about it possibly not being safe. But I guess there are just about warnings for anything now days.  I tend however to be pretty sensitive to medicines so it might be I would be the lucky one to react.  I bought a small container last night of the liquid stevia so I will probably be trying it soon. The thing I wondered about it is that it might not have any ability to help add needed bulk.  After two recipes I remember now what almond flour or Flax meal are hard to make seem like something worth while. I made some absolutely awful looking, non raising breakfast muffins today.. Probably will send my numbers in to orbit. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.