Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Larry H.

Seeing the results of poor maintenance of diet and exercise.

Larry H.

I messed up tonight trying to go out with family to eat. I ordered an omlet with cheese and bacon. So far so good, but instead of the potatos or bread I used to get they gave me some half slices of fruit.  Canned I suspect.  My reading was 168.  The culprit has to be the fruit which probably had a sugar syrup even though there was hardly any in the dish.  I am getting somewhat concerned about what I really can eat, seems like there is a pitfall at nearly every item. 

Kit
2 hours ago, Larry H. said:

Yes I read of that ingredient in a number of recipes but when you google it there are lots of warnings about it possibly not being safe. But I guess there are just about warnings for anything now days.  I tend however to be pretty sensitive to medicines so it might be I would be the lucky one to react.  I bought a small container last night of the liquid stevia so I will probably be trying it soon. The thing I wondered about it is that it might not have any ability to help add needed bulk.  After two recipes I remember now what almond flour or Flax meal are hard to make seem like something worth while. I made some absolutely awful looking, non raising breakfast muffins today.. Probably will send my numbers in to orbit. 

One benefit I have had, though others may not agree, is that I've avoided sweeteners for so long that I don't really crave sweet much anymore.  I actually enjoy eating 100% dark chocolate (the baking kind). 

Now one thing to keep in mind.  Its not always 100% just our foods that can affect our numbers.  There can be variations, so you might try one of those cookies again and see if you get similar behavior or if the behavior changes.  Lots of learning in the early stages.  Unless its very obvious on the reason I would go high, I often try at least once more before I reject something.

Labeling laws in the US can be quite interesting.  I can't remember details on calories, but for the nutritional information, if there is less than 0.5g, they are allowed to round down.  Between 0.5 and 1.0, they can say less than 1g.

Now look at the nutritional information on a package of Splenda No Calorie Sweetener, Granulated.

Serving Size: 1tsp

Total Carbs <1g

So if you put a tsp in your coffee, that's likely not a big deal.  But that <1g per serving adds up quickly.

1cup of granulated Splenda has 24g of carbohydrates.

16 tbsp in a cup.  3 tsp in a tbsp, which means 48 tsp in a cup.

Which puts Splenda at 0.5g of carbs per 1tsp serving.

Not too big a deal if you use a tsp of it in your coffee once or twice a day, but for recipes like cookies that can use substantial amounts, it can add up quicker than we might realize.

I have a recipe for cookies that I liked using almond flour that also calls for granulated sweetener.  I haven't tried it yet with liquid sweetener, but I suspect it should work fine, though it might loose some volume and either affect the size of each cookie, or end up with fewer cookies in the batch.

https://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/lemon-almond-shortbread-cookies-low-carb-gluten-free/

It called for 1/3 cup, so that would add 8g of additional carbs to the recipe.

The almond flour add an additional 80g of carbs, 16 of which are fiber. (Used Bob's Red Mill brand for numbers.)

Which gives us 88g of carbs for the entire recipe (not counting lemon zest or any other flavorings you might choose to use).

16 servings per the recipe, which leaves us at 5.5g of carbs per serving with 1g of fiber.

The recipe claims 1,6g of net carbs per cookie.  (net carbs is total minus fiber minus sugar alcohols - I don't quite agree with this but that's another conversation).  Which is less than half of what I get when I run the numbers.

Now you could replace the Splenda with liquid splenda or stevia and get a more true 0 carb sweetener, but it would really only drop 0.5g from each cookie, leaving you still with 5g of carbs and 1g of fiber.

So, depending on the recipe you chose, it may not have been the sweetener.  It may have been bad nutritional information in the recipe.  Or it might be the brand used when the recipe creator used when calculating numbers for the recipe isn't the same brand you used to make it and there are differences.

But, looking at the recipe, I would have thought I could get away with 2 cookies as an evening dessert with a nice cup of tea and only add 3g of carbs to my day.  Instead I ended up with 10g of total carbs.  Doesn't sound like a lot to some people, but given the low carb content I choose to go for, that's an entire meal's worth of carbs for me.  Which is the reason I don't make those cookies anymore.

Lesson in all of this:

Labels can be misleading and, in some cases, down right lie.  There have been lawsuits on that subject.  Search on Dreamfields pasta and Julian Bakery if you're curious.

Always run your own numbers on any recipe you try just to be sure.

adiantum

Be patient yet diligent Larry & soon you will feel confident in your choices.

The omelet  was a good choice & perhaps a side salad wouldve been better.

I have no problems with strawberries & cream,  but if your in a restaurant , advise them that you have an allergy to sugar & carbs.

I include both sugar & carbs as not all waiters know that there is a difference.

Kit
9 minutes ago, Larry H. said:

I messed up tonight trying to go out with family to eat. I ordered an omlet with cheese and bacon. So far so good, but instead of the potatos or bread I used to get they gave me some half slices of fruit.  Canned I suspect.  My reading was 168.  The culprit has to be the fruit which probably had a sugar syrup even though there was hardly any in the dish.  I am getting somewhat concerned about what I really can eat, seems like there is a pitfall at nearly every item. 

Fruit in of itself is full of sugar.  And yes, if it was canned, I'll guarantee it had added sugar as well.  I'd feel pretty confident that was your problem this evening.

I'm personally not looking forward to Sunday.  We're meeting my husband's side of the family for father's day brunch.  I always end up higher than I want from that place, even from seemingly safe choices.  I'm going to try something new to me this time and cross my fingers that the rise will be minimal.

I really don't mean to make everything seem to dismal, and I'm sure some of my posts seem like that.  But I am of the opinion that accurate information is the most important factor in dealing with things.  It might not change a decision you make, but it will at least be an informed decision.

Now not all fruit has to be taboo.  Many of us do well with a small amount of berries.  Strawberries and blackberries happen to be my personal favorites.

You might consider a recipe similar to this.

https://lowcarbyum.com/mascarpone-cheese-mousse-berries/

My calculations on the carb count (minus berries) is 0.96g per serving (I would round up to 1 at that point).  So her numbers seem on with my own.  This might also vary based on brand of mascarpone cheese.

Layer with some sliced strawberries and blackberries cut in half, and its a very pleasant dessert on a summer's day.  :)

Larry H.

I made a very flat muffin yesterday for breakfast to day since cereal seems to be out of the question. Its basically flax meal and pumpkin puree.  I had a 100 when I got up an at two hours it was 116.  I think I could live with that. I ate a scrambled egg with it as well.  They really don't come out to well, very dense and hard to get to cook though.  I had to leave so they came out faster than perhaps I would like. The recipe called for 20 minutes but my stove usually won't have things done as fast as they say.  I left it in for a half hour and while the toothpick came out clean in testing they still are pretty damp and heavy. But happy that the morning reading for a change will look good to me. 

I read up some here on Almond Flour and Flax Meal and it appears the they can be used pretty successfully for type 2 diabetics. like you all say though, check the meter to see what they do.  

Kit I finally took time to look at that recipe and it looks really good, although I never heard of that cheese.   I recall making a almond flour cake type mix that we substituted for shortcake, it actually worked out quite well.  I think it was called "kings cake"?  

Kit
1 hour ago, Larry H. said:

I made a very flat muffin yesterday for breakfast to day since cereal seems to be out of the question. Its basically flax meal and pumpkin puree.  I had a 100 when I got up an at two hours it was 116.  I think I could live with that. I ate a scrambled egg with it as well.  They really don't come out to well, very dense and hard to get to cook though.  I had to leave so they came out faster than perhaps I would like. The recipe called for 20 minutes but my stove usually won't have things done as fast as they say.  I left it in for a half hour and while the toothpick came out clean in testing they still are pretty damp and heavy. But happy that the morning reading for a change will look good to me. 

I read up some here on Almond Flour and Flax Meal and it appears the they can be used pretty successfully for type 2 diabetics. like you all say though, check the meter to see what they do.  

Kit I finally took time to look at that recipe and it looks really good, although I never heard of that cheese.   I recall making a almond flour cake type mix that we substituted for shortcake, it actually worked out quite well.  I think it was called "kings cake"?  

Almond, coconut, and flax are very commonly used to low carb baking and I've made use of all three before.

A few others you might also see are oat fiber and psyllium husk.  While these last two are higher in carbs than the nut and seed flours above, they are also entirely fiber and some people find they have minimal affect on their numbers.

If you're interested in trying muffins again, look around for one minute muffins or muffin in a mug.  There are a ton of recipe variations out there and they do rise.  :)

A recipe I have used often (don't remember where I found it) is

Base:

2 Tbsp flax meal

1 Tbsp coconut flour (or 2 Tbsp almond meal)

1/2 tsp baking powder

1/2 Tbsp melted butter

pinch salt

1 large egg

Stats - (using coconut flour)

Carbs:  10g

Fiber:  7.5g

Almond flour instead of the coconut will drop total carbs to 8.5g and fiber to 6g.

You can then add in your flavorings as you desire.  I've done a mixture of savory seasonings like onion powder, garlic powder, rosemary, and chives.  Maybe toss a little cheese in the batter.

Or sweet:  1/2 Tbsp coco powder plus a little sweetener and maybe some chopped pecans or walnuts.

Or for sweetener use SF Davinci syrup (banana flavored) as the sweetener along with some chopped nuts for a banana nut muffin.

Sometimes add a little sour cream for additional moisture, especially with the chocolate.

Or add a little pumpkin puree along with some pumpkin pie spice.

Melt the butter, bung it all into a mug, mix well, nuke for about 1 minute, and you've got a muffin.

And that's just one base.  There are a ton of variations out there.  Or even very different ones like Pepperoni Pizza Zucchini Muffins

https://www.ketoconnect.net/zucchini-muffins/

Carol_42
On 6/14/2018 at 11:20 AM, Carol_42 said:

1-tsp regular flour (It's only 2-carbs and (along with baking powder) gives fluff and or bulk to pancake)

1/4-tsp baking powder

1/4-tsp pink salt or iodized

1/4-tsp pepper (or to taste)

Blend or combine dry ingredients, then add:

1/2-cup finely chopped daikon radish (skin removed)

1/4 cup cooked pork loin (chopped or pulled)

1-large egg

Daikon pancake macronutrients: Cal 143.25  Fat 6.6  Carb 4  Prot 21.84

Oops!  Sometimes I think my mind is visiting another planet.  The protein in the daikon pancake is 16 carbs, not 21.84

Larry H.

I guess I never tested so much in the past. My number from breakfast jumped about 20 points before I had lunch. Waiting still for the two hours to pass to see what that does.  I went and got the cream cheese at Walmart, going to try the berries recipe kit put up. 

Kit
4 hours ago, Larry H. said:

I guess I never tested so much in the past. My number from breakfast jumped about 20 points before I had lunch. Waiting still for the two hours to pass to see what that does.  I went and got the cream cheese at Walmart, going to try the berries recipe kit put up. 

Is a good one. Hope you like it and it likes you. :)

Larry H.

Looking better. I walked for about 25 minutes this after noon and the before evening meal read was 100.  That is low for me this time of day.  I had the fish and vegetables but I made the great desert that Kit posted with the Mascarpone Cheese, Heavy cream and liquid steva and added vanilla.  Blue Berries on the bottom and strawberries on top.  I made a fourth a recipe which I figured was about four carbs of the cheese mixture counting the cream, the berries I don't know how much they were but my after dinner number rose to 125 which is still very low compared to what I had seen and I truly enjoyed it.  Thanks Kit..

meyery2k

Larry - Great news!  There are lots of great low carb alternatives out there.  Eating healthy is by no means eating boring.

Larry H.

I had a 102 this morning and 105 after breakfast.  For lunch I had a salad, tuna and a few slices of pepper and onion, about three sliced strawberries and one of those 1 1/2 carb almond flour cookies.  140 two hours later.  I did have two sugar free breath mints rated a 1 carb.  What I didn't get to do since I was busier than usual this morning is walk.  Its the only difference. Last night the dinner had the strawberries and blue berries and the cheese/cream filler and way less of a number but I walked for a half hour before working on the dinner.  I read lately that three 15 minute walks is better than one half hour one. And I used to walk right after eating to help use the carbs up. However at least once I felt a slight pain in my left arm and slowed down. The cardiologist said I should not walk within a couple hours of eating it was a sign of an over stressed heart.  I also took a after dinner nap which I enjoy but maybe that caused the higher number more than anything else? 

Fraser

After dinner nap does not allow the body to process carbs the antithesis of exercise

also some artificial sweeteners spike BG. I have difficulty with Maltodextrin.  

Larry H.

Unfortunately I am still stuck in the cycle of a fairly low morning number and breakfast, this morning 106 after a slice of pumpkin bread and blueberries with some milk.  But for lunch I had a salad, lettue and a few onions an some cheese and turkey slices cut up with italian lite dressing.  
A few egg white cookies as well.  That moved the number to 158. Supper wasn't much better, but the meal was, I had the sort of steamed fish fillet with a few carrot slices and broccoli.  That was more to eat at least but came in at 138.     

Some of you talked about if your not eating enough carbs you can have dumps of glucose in your system with might cause a raise in numbers? So far it seems like even not eating hardly any carbs still shows a pretty quick raise in numbers.  How do you eat enough to keep from loosing far too much weight and to keep your health up when things are so difficult to control? 

adiantum

Keep reading the posts Larry & you will soon take in others suggestions & ideas.

It wont be difficult to control once you give low carb/high fat  a chance

You seem to be stuck in old school where we were taught to use "light" & that eggs were bad for us.

To make light products taste better, they load that product up with carbs. Avoid " light" in all foods & the food will taste better & be better for you.

I believe your food choices need tweaking.

try bacon & eggs, mushrooms  for breakfast..no toast or pumpkin bread.

lunch: salad is great but avoid a few onions to just a slice of one. 

avoid egg white or other cookies.

Try a cheese platter with olives instead.

Root vegetables like onions & carrots are higher in carbs, so fill up on leafy greens .

Larry H.

Thanks for the suggestions. I still don't see where the increased numbers come from in such low carb items. I have been eating eggs most mornings but got tired of them daily thus the blueberries.  That meal didn't really bother anything much.  Its usually the latter in the day meals that even when low come in at numbers I wouldn't have seen previously.  I also had quadruple bi pass surgery about 13 years ago so I worry about the effects of lots of bacon and eggs, ect.  So far I have done pretty well watching somewhat how much fat I ate, when you have so many problems it gets to where eating becomes the hardest part of the day.  

Hammer

Larry, first ditch the blueberries.  The only berries that are good for a diabetic are blackberries (in limited amounts) and strawberries.  Also, the human body doesn't need carbs, so there are people who live on a zero carb diet.  Next are the eggs.....doctors used to think that eating eggs would raise your cholesterol, it won't.  They have found that the cholesterol in the foods you eat has no effect on your body's cholesterol....they are two different things.  I've been eating three eggs every day for years and my cholesterol is 130.  If you have high cholesterol, try taking an omega-3 fish oil supplement every day.(I use the Mega-Red Krill Oil supplements, but any omega-3 fish oil supplement will suffice.)

Something that I haven't seen mentioned in this thread is what is called Dawn Phenomenon (DP).  When you are on a fixed schedule, meaning you go to bed and get up at the same time every day, what happens is that your body has a built in alarm clock that triggers your liver to release glucose before you get up, and that gives you the energy to get up.  It's that release of morning glucose that causes your wake up BG readings to be higher than you'd expect.  If you get up every day at around 8 AM, try getting up at around 7 AM one day at see what your wake up BG level is.  The odds are that it will be lower that what you normally see.

When it comes to fat, fat is your friend....not the bad fats, the good fats.  Use real butter instead of margarine or one of those spreads....eat the skin on chicken....use olive oil liberally....eat avocados, etc.  Your body needs fat, plus, eating the good fats makes you feel full, so you won't get hungry as often.

Cheese....I used to eat those individually wrapped slices of Kraft cheese, but after seeing how much sodium they contained, I looked for a lower sodium cheese, and the only one I could find is Swiss Cheese, so I switched to that, even though I don't care for Swiss Cheese.  I eat a slice of Swiss cheese here and there if I get the munchies.

Something else that I didn't see mentioned is that you need to check the portion sizes of the food you eat.  I've seen people here try to eat a whole apple, and their after meal BG readings were too high, so the next time they wanted to eat an apple, they cut it in half and ate half an apple, and if their after meal reading was still too high, the next time the want some apple, they cut it into quarters and ate only a quarter of the apple, and their after meal reading was okay, so that told them that they could eat some apple, only it could only be a quarter of an apple. 

The same applies to all foods that you want to eat.  While we say that we shouldn't eat certain foods, like potatoes, pasta, bread, rice, etc., we can always take a small portion of those foods to see if we can tolerate a small portion.  Myself, I prefer to just stay away from those foods, since if I were to eat a tablespoonful of the food, I'd want to eat the whole bowl of it.

Seeing how much your BG levels have been spiking, maybe you should try eating just one thing and test your BG levels afterwards, that way, you'll know if that food spiked you too much.  By eating several foods at the same time, you can't tell which food caused the spike.  Once you've determined which food spiked you, try substituting something else for it, or eating a smaller portion of it.

GrammaBear

I respectfully disagree that blackberries and strawberries are the only berries that are good for a diabetic.  I can eat blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, strawberries in limited amounts and see very little rise in my post-prandial meal readings.  And Yes, I test both before and after a meal so I can see what effect the food had on my blood sugar readings.

Most of the time I try to avoid anything made with wheat flour as wheat flour is not my friend.

Larry H.

I am just at wits end with how my numbers come in.  I constantly see numbers far higher than I think I should while trying to eat very few carbs.  I might be seeing what I have read here as a dumping of insulin of the body which can show up as higher numbers?   Today for instance  I had a 108 on getting up around 5:30 am.  I had a small bowl with some blue berries and a almond four muffin with sugar free syrup.  That dropped it to 103.  But for lunch following I ate a 5 carb hotdog, without bun, a small piece of cedar brick cheese, about three Wheat Thin which seem to be around 2 carbs or less each. A half an apple sliced and one wedge of dill pickle.  An a sugar free pudding by Jello.  Most of those things I have had when numbers were in the 115 or less readings,  I didn't nap, I cut a large amount of lawn and worked on burning lumber and tree limbs for about a half hour.  When I just took my number I had a 178.  I just can't see how so few carbs can show that kind of reading.  

Larry H.

Thanks for the suggestions.  I did read some on line also and it seems typical that when your on the Keto type diet your body will cause raises in your numbers you won't expect.  They tended to say it will level out after your body adjust? Although how long that would take I am not sure. Still the heat and dehydration may also be factors here.   I had an equally low carb dinner and saw a 168 after that.  I wish the numbers were more encouraging. 

Larry H.

Still eating more to the Keto type diet. Tired of eggs and sausage and bacon, yogurt, nuts, Cheese and fish with  vegetables.  But I did my A1C last week for the doctor which is a three month average, only one of which I was watching things.  I expected it to be far higher as I had a 6.2-4 last time it was done. But it came in at 6.0 which I was pretty surprised at.  What I noticed was how different the very same kind of meal would vary the numbers from day to day. But now they are mostly high if I see a 145 with a few above that now an then.  Compared to the 185  or 95 I was seeing when I started watching again I assume that is good.  I had one morning with a 89, but most fall somewhere just below or above 100, but some days come in as high as 123, but I was say average is closer to 110. I started to take the Salacia Oblonga that was somewhat popular here among some people. I looked it up on line lately and now I see the American Diabetes society has a discussion of it and felt it lowered Glucose levels if taken before a meal, also helped with cholesterol which is a plus since I need to be doing that, and this diet isn't very conducive of that.  I also recalled seeing somewhere that it was somewhat the Metformin was based on.  So although I am eating a rather restricted diet, I am happy to at least not be seeing numbers that were headed in the wrong direction.   

Larry H.

I went to the doctor today. He leans toward the elderly and has quite a list of things he says he treats including diabetes.  I took my list of what kind of readings I had been getting.  He also knew my A1c was good at 6.0.  When I tired to get some help with how to eat when anything with minor carbs seems to give me a higher reading his response was basically that so long as my A1c comes in good, the spikes aren't much of a concern.  I am not sure I agree with that. He also said he doesn't recommend the Keto Diets.  I weighed in dressed at 156 today. Previously in all my dieting I had only come close to 155 for a short time .  I increased my eating then partly because I was getting too thin. But this time around I don't think it is going to work. We stopped and I got a low carb bread and ate a sandwich and a few Fritos.  I missed the two hour time by an hour and it was still 168 then so it had to be quite a bit higher at two hours.  I told him I would do the A1c again in three months but not sure what I am going to do in the meantime to keep from becoming way to thin.  I would have thought with all the calories that almond four has it would have kept me from loosing to much, but I guess not. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.