Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  
Rad Warrier

VLDL in Lipid Panel Test Report

Rad Warrier

I gave blood for lab tests on Thursday and got the results by email yesterday.   Everything is normal.  

What is new this time is the inclusion of VLDL in the report.  I never had VLDL mentioned in my lipid panel results before.

Total Cholesterol:  178 mg/dL.   Standard Range: 100 - 199 mg/dL

LDL Cholesterol:   108 mg/dL.   Standard Range: 0 - 99 mg/dL

VLDL Cholesterol:  28 mg/dL.    Standard Range: 5 - 40 mg/dL

Triglycerides:       140 mg/dL.    Standard Range:  0 - 149 mg/dL

Regards,
Rad

don1942

According to the Health Encyclopedia:

This test measures the amount of very low-density lipoprotein (VLDL) in your blood.

VLDL cholesterol is a type of blood fat. It's considered one of the "bad" forms of cholesterol, along with LDL cholesterol and triglycerides. This is because high levels cholesterol can clog your arteries and lead to a heart attack. Sixty percent of a VLDL particle is a triglyceride,

This test is usually used along with a series of other tests in a general lipid profile to screen for cardiovascular disease (CVD). High levels of VLDL cholesterol and triglycerides in your blood may mean you are at risk for CVD. People who are obese also have higher levels of VLDL cholesterol.

Rad Warrier
7 hours ago, ran23 said:

by any chance were you using Healthcheckusa.com?

No.  This is from my medical service provider called Valley Medicals.

Dave_KC

I've noticed VLDL on my prior lipid panels and I had to look it up.  But mine was actually too low, so I couldn't find any problems that it was flagged for too long, and no one said anything, so I figured I must be OK.

Hammer

I just looked at my last lab work that was done last month (October), and my cholesterol was 127....my HDL cholesterol was 48mg/dL, and the range for it was  >39mg/dL.  My LDL cholesterol was 65mg/dL, with the range being  <100mg/dL.  My VLDL cholesterol was 14mg/dL, with the range being 8-32mg/dL.  My triglycerides were 69mg/dl, with the range being <150mg/dl.