Diabetes forums
Nicci B

Steriods lowering blood sugars????

Nicci B

Hi everyone. I think I may be 1.5 not a type 2 I am having tests today. My question is this. Has anyone ever had steriods actually lower their sugars??? I am taking a course right now as they think I have another autoimmune condition and while the first day my sugars did go up, all the days after they have been right down and my eating is basically the same. Is it even possible for steriods to lower your sugars? I didn't think it could. Any thoughts appreciated

Captain Diabetes

Hi Nicci B.  If those steroids are lowering your numbers that is amazing.  I just got done with a shot and for 10 days my numbers skyrocketed.  I'm on the insulin shot and I couldn't control it. Now I also have to be very careful as my pancreas still kicks in every now and then so I could easily overdose myself, but as far as I know it's not possible to lower with a steroid.

control

If your numbers are lower, how can you be sure it's the steroids that are the cause?  There may be other factors at work.  Was this a one-off reading or have you noticed that your glucose readings are lower over an extended period of time (with steroid use)?

I don't even know how one would go about reliably testing whether a single component was responsible for lower glucose levels, but I imagine it would take weeks of rigorous testing and ruling out one factor after another.