Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dznypal

gatorade and numbers

Dznypal

this might be a far fetched idea but here it goes

Im in the pre club usually A1C usually around 5.7 this year I needed a colonscopy (my 5 year break was up)  had it done in March

so one of the questions when the office called was am I diabetic--I said no-- (in the back  of my mind I was thinking if they asked if Im diabetic and having to chock down so much gatorade now lets see what my numbers are) so I had to chock down 64oz of gratorade with the nasty powder mixed in and chock down  8oz every 15 minutes till it was half gone then get up at 1230 and chock down the other half

so in June I had to get my numbers taken  I was very upset to say the least --A1C at 6.5  come on give me a break--12 hr was 120 that too was higher then usual   

so now Im wondering how much the "drink" made my numbers go up--going for my physical on Monday and having a chat with the dr about it

thanks all for any tips or advice

Kit

Its unlikely one incident like that would cause your A1C to rise that significantly.  How have your numbers been otherwise?

Dznypal

thanks for the reply kit

usually my A1C has been mid to upper 5's  with 12hr number is usually mid to upper teens

just thinking that if the A1C went up so high --which I know is the average from the last 3 months which it was in this time that I had to chock the drink nothing else was different thats why I was thinking that could have caused the higher number since that was the only thing that was different from a year ago

Kit

An A1C is measuring the percentage of the hemoglobin in your blood that has bonded with glucose.  Hemoglobin has an average life span of 100-120 days.  (This can vary on individual basis.)  If your colonoscopy was done in March and your A1C in June, its a good possibility that  your jump from all that Gatorade wouldn't even be reflected in the A1C.  And, if I remember right, the A1C weighs more towards recent than it does further back.  So, again, I highly doubt that that one incident around 3 months ago would have that much of an affect on your current A1C.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.