Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  
Kit

Taco seasoning

Kit

Anyone have a favorite recipe for taco seasoning?  I want to make my own for vacation next week and haven't been able to choose.

OneEye

Do you mean a meat seasoning or a seasoning to top the taco?

About the only two seasonings I would use for the meat would be chili or cumin or both. You'll have to add those while you're cooking the meat - to taste. For a store-bought seasoning I use Lawry's Taco Seasoning.

For a taco "sauce" seasoning I usually either use Tabasco or La Victoria's Taco Sauce or Hot Salsa Brava.

I also have a new twist to additives: Daisy Squeeze Sour Cream.

Mission corn tortillas cooked on a thin layer of peanut oil for about 30 seconds so the tortilla doesn't come apart in your hand; a couple teaspoons of meat; layer that with a little Salsa Brava; a ribbon of squeezed sour cream; some fresh cut lettuce; a sprinkling of grated sharp cheddar cheese and two sliced cherry tomatoes! M'm, M'm, M'm.

Great! Now I'm hungry for tacos! <_<

meyery2k

I use salt, pepper, garlic, cumin, and chili powder.  Removing the seeds from a jalapeno and dicing it up finely adds a little heat.  Serrano peppers work well too.  I just kind of throw it all in there and then adjust to taste.

Kit
1 hour ago, OneEye said:

Do you mean a meat seasoning or a seasoning to top the taco?

Its the seasoning for the meat while cooking.  I keep looking at the packaged stuff, but WOW, there are a lot of carbs in there.  16g per packet on some brands.  Smallest carb count I could find in the store was at Trader Joe's for 12g carbs per packet.  May as well just make my own for a fraction of the carb count.

@meyery2k

I have to be careful with the peppers as Mr Fuzzy doesn't like things very spicy.  I've seen so many different recipes with so many different ingredients.  Some contain 12+ spices and herbs.  The only consistency has been salt and cumin.  I like your list.  Any suggestion on ratios?

I'm planning on giving the tortilla recipe from Keto Connect a try next week.  I might even convince Mr Fuzzy to give them a try.  Wish me luck there.  :D

meyery2k

I would just shake a small quantity of everything and then adjust to taste.  Sorry, I don't really measure.  

Really hard to mess up unless you use too much salt or chili powder.  I sneak some onion powder in there too.

Kit

Anyone used garlic powder in theirs?  Its another ingredient I see often.

Currently leaning towards cumin, chili powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper.

OneEye
1 hour ago, Kit said:

Its the seasoning for the meat while cooking.  I keep looking at the packaged stuff, but WOW, there are a lot of carbs in there.  16g per packet on some brands.  Smallest carb count I could find in the store was at Trader Joe's for 12g carbs per packet.  May as well just make my own for a fraction of the carb count.

Lawry's Taco Seasoning:

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 2 tsp
Servings Per Container about 6
Total Carbohydrate 3.00 g

Package says...

Make it FRESH with

• 1lb Ground Beef
  • 12 Taco Shells

The package says 6 servings per package...at 3g of carbohydrates per serving that's 18g divided by 12 tacos or...1.5g of carbohydrates per taco. Here's the humor in that; I buy Mission tortillas. I've tried 'em all and these, for me, work and taste the best. A few years ago Mission decided they needed to raise the price on their products but didn't want to price themselves out of the market...so instead of raising the price...you now get 10 tortillas per package instead of 12.  What did they think...I wasn't gonna notice that? Used to be I could feed me, the wife and 4 kids a taco dinner with each of us getting 2 tacos. When Mission went to 10 tortillas per package...I had to give one of my kids away! :huh:

Kit

According to what I'm looking at so far, I can make taco seasoning for a pound of ground beef for less than 5g carbs for the entire thing.

At 30g total carbs per day, every gram counts.  Plus it avoids things like sugar and enriched wheat flour and the infamous "natural flavorings".  My favorite statement about natural flavors:  " . . .which in layman’s terms pretty much means some sort of plant or animal byproduct which has been processed so much that it can no longer be listed on labels".

:)

meyery2k

I like making my own taco seasoning now that I know how. I always have the ingredients and it is pretty forgiving. 

Kit

I decided to go for this recipe

https://ketogasm.com/keto-taco-seasoning-recipe/

With just a couple minor changes.  Reduce chili powder by half (Mr Fuzzy doesn't like spicy), and increased the amount of paprika.  I went with 1/2 Tsp for a single batch.

It was a hit with Mr Fuzzy and he happily ate it down.

I also tried making the soft tortillas from Keto Connect

https://www.ketoconnect.net/low-carb-tortillas/

They worked, were flexible and durable (as long as you don't make them too thin, which I did on a couple).  However I do not feel they were worth the effort that went into making them.  They weren't bad fresh, but as they sat, the texture was just wrong and more and more eggy.  I kept thinking they would make excellent crepes however.  Imagine, add a little sweetener to the batter and skip the other seasonings.  Add a little salt (it was missing).  Make a filling mixture with mascarpone cheese, hwc, some cinnamon and sweetener.  Make crepes, roll with filling and drizzle with chocolate ganache.  I will have to give that a try one of these days.

But, for tacos, I'm happy just sticking with eating the innards with a fork as a salad.