Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ran23

Maltitol in Sugar free Ice Breakers

ran23

I was reading older threads and saw Maltitol isn't something Diabetics should be taking?  It is the second item in Ice Breakers, Sorbitol is first.   If you like Mints, what is a better choice??  

Kit

A lot of people have reported that Maltitol can affect blood glucose as much as sugar.

Keto Connect recently did a Low Carb sweetener comparison where they tested a variety of different sweeteners, along with pure sugar, to see how the BG readings and blood ketones were affected at 30 minutes.  Maltitol spiked their numbers at around 40 points.

I'll have a SF Altoid once in a while.  I believe they are sweetened with a mixture of sucralose and sorbitol.  I don't consume them very often and when I do its like 1 tiny mint over the course of a day.  I've never seen a problem with them, but if I ate them more often, that might be different.

ran23

there is something like 53 per package on the Ice Breakers, sometimes I will go thru a package in a day.   concerned.  

Kit

I'm a little concerned about your addiction with breath mints.  ;)

I've been known to suck on a peppermint leaf periodically.  According to the info I looked up, a single leaf has pretty much no carbs.  15g of carbs (8g fiber) in about 100g of leaves (that is a LOT, 2 leaves weigh an average of 0.1g).  And the leaves would likely last a lot longer than a mint which dissolves quite quickly.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.