Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hammer

My new computer

control
12 hours ago, Hammer said:

Oh well, I guess that I won't be able to use Open Office, since I can't get it to install on this computer.  I also can't get Adobe Acrobat DC Standard (2015) to load onto this computer....as well as Libre Office. 

When you try to install it, what happens?  Is the problem that it's not completely installing when launching the installer from their website?  If so, can you download the .zip file (or whatever format) and install it locally?  If that's not the problem, can you explain what happens when you attempt to install? 

Hammer

When I click on the latest version of Open Office on the Apache website, it downloads the program onto my computer.  I go to where it was downloaded, and double click on it.  That launches the program, and the program extracts all of the components into a folder that I created on my desktop.  Once it extracts the components, it begins to install Open Office.  The window that is running says, "Installing Open Office", and that's it....nothing else happens.  I've tried opening the file where everything was extracted to and tried to launch the program from there, but the same thing happens.  I tried launching it with "Run as administrator, and the same thing happens.  I tried launching it in Safe Mode, and I get the message that Windows installer isn't available in safe mode.  I have tried downloading an older version of Open Office, and the same thing happens.

For some reason, Windows 10 is stopping the installer from installing certain programs  I checked to make sure that my Version of Windows 10 isn't running in "S Mode", and it isn't.  Whatever it is in Windows 10 that won't run the installer, is also preventing me from loading other programs, since I get the same results with them.

janice21475

Hammer, Go to Search and enter "Windows 10 is preventing me from installing open office." There are many threads that will be helpful, people having the same issues and they get them resolved and tell you how to do it. It may take reading a few of the links until you 'get it' and are able to make Win 10 cooperate but it is possible. Hope you enjoy the challenge. I look forward to your post after you are successful i your quest.

Janice

P.S. I turned my back on Windows almost 10 years ago and have been running Linux Mint, Love it!!

janice21475

Perhaps I should have specified 'search' as in Google or whatever search engine you choose to use.

Even running Linux Mint when I install a new upgrade, there are things that 'go bump in the night.' There are several good Mint forums that help with getting the bugs out, the same with Windows. If you are not practiced at searching for 'fixes' it may take some trial and error. You could also call some computer repair places and see if any of them offer an 'installation' service and maintenance. There are tech knowledgeable people who can maintain Windows computers in tip-top operating order. That may be something to look into. I hope you get the issue resolved so you can begin enjoying your new computer,  it certainly sounds like a nice one.

Hammer

Hi Janice!

Thanks for the suggestions, but I have already Google the problems, tried the suggestions that I found, and none of them work.  Microsoft has done something to Windows 10, that won't allow it's installer to allow me to load some of my software.  I have been spending hours searching for solutions, but I haven't been able to find any that work for me.  I have been on this new computer, trying to load some of this software since Wednesday, the 4th of July, and by saying that I've been on this computer, I mean for at least 12 hours a day.  While I'm no tech person, I do know a little about where to look and what to do, but since I am not a tech person, those who are tech savvy might have many more suggestions for me, which I am always open to, so again, thanks for the suggestions!

buddy7

So sorry to hear Hammer, you’re still having some teething problems with your new computer. Would like so much to help, but unfortunately, my knowledge on computers is somewhat limited, one can only hope you speedily get these issues resolved and behind you, and be able to enjoy your new computer.

The best of luck my friend.

Gladtobehere

I was in Windows tech support for a long time but would NEVER claim to be an expert.

To install Libre you must have administrator rights.    Is it possible that your system has an administrator login that the vendor setup?

It seems to me that windows should pop a message telling you if something is wrong or missing .   But I never trusted any software all the time.  And INSTALLERS are software too.

BTW: Java may also be required for some of the Libre options.

It may also be possible that an older MS component is needed by the installer.

So far in my Win10 experience any install issue was due to a wierd requirement of the installer rather than Windows.

Just remember all those doctors who we think should understand diabetes but DON'T.    There are even more bad software programmers out there!!!!!

Time to take a break from the problems. Then start over with the process.

Diana_CT
On 7/8/2018 at 7:15 PM, janice21475 said:

P.S. I turned my back on Windows almost 10 years ago and have been running Linux Mint, Love it!!

I have Linux Ubuntu on a bootable thumb drive so I can run open office and other free open source Linux photographic software.

Hammer

An update to my computer problems....I figured out why I wasn't able to install a number of programs on this new computer, and those programs were Open Office, Libre Office, and Adobe Acrobat DC Standard 2015, as well as Roxio Creator NXT 6....all of which have now been installed on my new computer.

After a lot of experimenting, what happened was that, once I installed Classic Shell, which reverts a Windows 10 computer back to a Windows 7 interface, Classic Shell was preventing my Windows 10 from installing a number of programs.  Since I always install Rollback RX Professional on my computers when I first get it, I was able to roll back my computer to when I first got it.  Doing that removed all of the software that I had installed after I got my computer.  Shortly after I got this computer, I had installed a few software programs, but since Windows 10 has that "tiles" interface, which is totally stupid, I downloaded the Classic Shell to eliminate the tiles interface, but what I didn't know was that, by installing Classic Shell, that software was preventing me from installing other software.  As long as I don't install the "Classic Shell" software, I shouldn't have any problems installing other software.  The downside is that, I am stuck with those stupid Windows 10 tiles.  The idiot that came up with "Tiles" should be fired, as well as the other idiots that approved this stupid idea.

Anyway, I thought that those of you who are computer savvy might want to know this, and I want to thank you all for trying to help me with this problem.

janice21475

Good going,  Hammer. The standard saying in my household is a play on an old saying, ours is, Where there's a way, there's a will. :)

Glad you got that resolved.

Kit

HUh, I know a number of people who use that or something very similar to it.  I'll have to keep that in mind in case someone else runs into the same thing.

I'm not a huge fan of the tiles either.  At least its like a billion times better than Windows 8  *shudder*.  The good news is that you can completely customize those tiles, though can't remove the section 100%.  here's an example of what I do.  (On my husband's laptop at the moment)

Start.jpg.c5a9b12bdced91ff2ef143bd02674bd6.jpg

Since we lost directory stricture functionality, its a lot harder to organize and so a lot longer to scroll through to find something.  I use the tiles system to pin my most accessed software.

The best part of the new-ish interface (its been like this since Windows 8).  Right click on the Start button.  Instant access to some of my most heavily used system tools.

Hammer

Kit, this is what my desktop looks like with Classic Shell.  Aside from the wallpaper image, the desktop looks exactly like it did in Windows 7.  Also with Classic Shell, you can have the same round "Start" button, and when you move the cursor down to the "Start" button, you get the same pop up list of all of your programs.  Now I just have to continue installing more of my older programs onto this computer.

Untitled.thumb.jpg.ef7ca07b52e17a29bd3cc81cfded5ff3.jpg

Kit

That wasn't my desktop, that was just the Start Menu.

desktop.thumb.jpg.a7679a5f9080fe64fca00c552d33166c.jpg

I prefer to pin my common used applications to the Start Menu.  Applications I always have running (browser, email, dev tools at work, etc) are actually pinned to the task bar.  Its hard to see here, but Chrome is pinned.  If I closed all of the browser windows, a small Chrome icon would show up next to the small folder icon.  I haven't bothered setting up my email client on this machine as I'm hoping I won't be on it for long.

Right click on that small folder icon and you get my pinned folder locations plus a recent list.  I could do without the recent list, but haven't figured out a way to remove that part.  RANDOM happens to be my personalized DFS on our network which gathers my most used network shares into a common area instead of being spread out over multiple machines and NAS units.

folders.png.bcb483d4167b888289cae39752e36a71.png

My desktop is usually either empty or a dumping ground for temp files until I know what to do with them or forget what they are and just delete them.  :D

Hammer

In the event that your computer gets infected with ransomware and all your files get encrypted so that you can't access them, and the people who created it want you to pay them money to unlock all of your files, you can decrypt it by going here to find out how to remove the ransome ware.  I just found this website, and I thought I'd post a link to it in here.

https://www.nomoreransom.org

Hammer

It just occurred to me that, if you have Rollback RX Professional (they also have a free version) installed on your computer, you can just restart your computer, and roll it back to a date before your computer got infected with ransomeware.

Hammer

I just installed Acronis True Image on my computer (it's on sale for personal computers for just $34.99, but you don't have to buy it to get their freeware ransomware protection program mentioned below) , and it will backup my files in the event of a total disaster with my computer.  It also contains Ransomware protection, but Acronis also offers a freeware program that will prevent ransomware from affecting your computer.  You can download it here, and again, it is totally free.  If it's free, why not install it on your computer to protect yourself from ransomware?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.