Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PatriciaJ

FBS - When to do it??

PatriciaJ

This seems like a silly question, but when to do the FBS? Immediately after waking up in morning .. like within 1-5 minutes. Or within 10-30 minutes. I noticed the value goes down slowly within a few minutes of getting up in the morning. So what is the most accurate for a fasting?

Kit

I take it as soon as I get out of bed. 

More specifically I get up, go pee, wash my hands, and take my reading. 

PatriciaJ

@ran23 .. Do you mean you're higher when you first get up and lower 20 minutes later? What were some of your numbers when you were testing early? And do you still test in the morning, but wait 20 minutes after you get up? Thank you.

meyery2k

I test right when getting up.  Within 5 minutes.  I find that if I wait, it is somewhat higher.  I suspect glucose is dumped to help get me going when I start moving around.

ran23

looking back over notes, 105 about 6:30, lo carb breakfast of eggbeaters, onions, cheese, avocado and coffee. 103 by 11:30.    Mon 06-11  118 about 6:45, similar breakfast xxxx  I see I planted a tree and tested 81 after that. may 21  111 before 7:00, then no exercise, test at Noon at 101. 

Well, I pay for all of my gear, so most of this is from the beginning years ago.  I realized  'glucose dump' was happening most of time.      

Kit

My honest, and maybe blunt, opinion on the subject.

If you find yourself adjusting your testing times because you will see better results, then you are focusing on the wrong things.

When my morning readings were consistently higher than I liked, I focused on trying to find ways to lower those numbers.  I did multiple BG tests over night and in the morning, trying to identify the exact behavior.  Then I made changes and tweaks trying to see how those changes affected things.

I was able to identify that I was having DP (dawn phenomena), and tried various things to minimize it.  A snack of a small amount of protein and fat (some cheese or nuts) was the most effective.  Eventually DP became less and less of a factor.  Now I no longer need a bed time snack and DP is a mild and infrequent thing.  I can't say why.  Maybe it did so after a significant amount of time on keto.  I don't know for sure.

meyery2k

@Kit - If I exercise regularly, then I can almost consistently have a fasting reading in the 80's.  If I take more than one day off, then that becomes the 90's.  Strange but true...  

My hypothesis is that the exercise increases my sensitivity to insulin temporarily.  It seems to last about 1 day.

Fraser

I try to do a test before eating anything.  But most importantly about the same routine each morning.  

The trend is more important than the actual numbers. I lost a meter on a trip.  I bought a new one same exact meter. My fasting numbers are now 5 points higher.  😜

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.