Diabetes forums
Amber

Insulin resistance

Amber

I need some reassurance! I’m currently 18 weeks & starting to become insulin resistant! I’ve had some crazy blood sugars & have struggled to get them down. Have any of you had healthy babies regardless of your insulin resistance??

meyery2k

Being a man, that will never happen.

But.....

My wife had gestational diabetes while pregnant with our daughter.  She worked with the doctor and gave birth with no complications to mother or child.

Hammer

Also, being a man, I can't answer your question with 100% accuracy, but since a lot of women develop gestational diabetes while they are pregnant, then the gestational diabetes disappears after they give birth, and the baby doesn't have diabetes, I would think that what you are experiencing isn't that unusual, and the baby will probably not have diabetes.

Amber

I’m sorry I should’ve been more specific! I’m type 1 diabetic & completely insulin dependent 

Hammer

Oh, sorry Amber.  I didn't read under your name that you were a type 1.  When you said that you were 18 weeks, I assume that you meant that you were 18 weeks pregnant?  I also am unsure of how you know that you are insulin resistant when you are a type 1 that produces little to no insulin.  As a type 2, I don't know the specifics of what a type 1 has to deal with,. so maybe someone else that's a type 1 can be of more help to you. 

adiantum

Hi Amber, we had one member 2high that gave birth to 2 beautiful healthy boys as a type1 but I dont remember how she kept her numbers down.

I dont know what to suggest .

Is your insulin a new batch that may be compromised?

Are you consuming more carbs then usual .

Amber

My insulin isn’t a new batch. & I usually try to eat the same thing most days so I know typically on how much to take but here lately my sugar goes up regardless. 

Amber

I see her in 2 weeks actually. I was just trying to see if anyone on here has had a similar experience 

Thatmom

Hey Amber

Let me just reasure you this is totally normal. As you progress in the pregnancy you will develop more resistance but then when baby comes out it'll go away.

Be aware that around week 27 I think you'll have some more hormonal fluctuations that will really throw your number through a loop. But you can get back on top of them just keep in close contact with your doc. When i'm pregnant I try to upload my numbers online and call my doc to look over them on a weekly basis.

So a little background on me. I've had type 1 for 25 years. Have two healthy kids. 3 and 1/2 years and I am pregnant with number 3 right now about 6 weeks.

Don't be afraid to call your endocrinologist now. You don't need to wait till you appointment.

And if you want to chat more let me know. Hang in there mama!