Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

fattyboyjp3

Getting like Arnold Schwarzenegger being type 2?

fattyboyjp3

I am just wondering if anyone out there is type 2 that lift weights to be big or are big now!  Muscle wise Big like Arnold or trying to be?  I kinda find it hard to do so being we have to watch what we eat some of those guys say to eat good carbs?  I have no idea what that means, but recently like 4 years ago now I wrecked on a Mountain bike and got Frozen shoulder and still today it is hard to pump up!  It doesn't hurt anymore but it aches if I workout.    Just was wondering what you all think?

Hammer

First, there are no such things as good carbs.  To a diabetic, ALL carbs are bad for you.  Carbs are converted to glucose, and diabetics are glucose intolerant, meaning that our bodies can't handle very many carbs.  One good thing about exercising, is that our muscles need glucose as we are working out, so they can help to take up the excess glucose that diabetics have floating around in their blood stream when they are working out, and for a while after the workout.  The problem is, is that people who are trying to develop bigger muscles, typically carb load.  I've seen people who will typically eat 500 carbs a day, when they were going to be having a hard workout, and 500 carbs a day wouldn't be good for a diabetic.

As we tell newcomers who come to these forums, the best thing you can do is to eat to your meter.  You should have a glucose meter, and if not get one.  That meter will tell you what you can and can't eat, and how high your glucose levels will be before and after a workout.  You would normally test your glucose levels before you eat, then test again, 2 hours after you've taken your first bite of food.  That after meal reading will let you know what the food you just ate did to your glucose levels.  The object is to try and keep your after meal levels close to your before meal levels.  If your after meal levels are a lot higher than your before meal levels, then you need to avoid the foods you just ate, or at least, eat smaller portions of them.

Type 2 Fighter

The pain may be inflammation. 

Going 30 days w <20 grams of carbs, I was pain free and returned to weight training.