Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

fattyboyjp3

Getting like Arnold Schwarzenegger being type 2?

fattyboyjp3

I am just wondering if anyone out there is type 2 that lift weights to be big or are big now!  Muscle wise Big like Arnold or trying to be?  I kinda find it hard to do so being we have to watch what we eat some of those guys say to eat good carbs?  I have no idea what that means, but recently like 4 years ago now I wrecked on a Mountain bike and got Frozen shoulder and still today it is hard to pump up!  It doesn't hurt anymore but it aches if I workout.    Just was wondering what you all think?

Hammer

First, there are no such things as good carbs.  To a diabetic, ALL carbs are bad for you.  Carbs are converted to glucose, and diabetics are glucose intolerant, meaning that our bodies can't handle very many carbs.  One good thing about exercising, is that our muscles need glucose as we are working out, so they can help to take up the excess glucose that diabetics have floating around in their blood stream when they are working out, and for a while after the workout.  The problem is, is that people who are trying to develop bigger muscles, typically carb load.  I've seen people who will typically eat 500 carbs a day, when they were going to be having a hard workout, and 500 carbs a day wouldn't be good for a diabetic.

As we tell newcomers who come to these forums, the best thing you can do is to eat to your meter.  You should have a glucose meter, and if not get one.  That meter will tell you what you can and can't eat, and how high your glucose levels will be before and after a workout.  You would normally test your glucose levels before you eat, then test again, 2 hours after you've taken your first bite of food.  That after meal reading will let you know what the food you just ate did to your glucose levels.  The object is to try and keep your after meal levels close to your before meal levels.  If your after meal levels are a lot higher than your before meal levels, then you need to avoid the foods you just ate, or at least, eat smaller portions of them.

Type 2 Fighter

The pain may be inflammation. 

Going 30 days w <20 grams of carbs, I was pain free and returned to weight training. 

fattyboyjp3

Hammer,

all I just saw these replies I have been pissed off lately about this stuff!   Ok so I eat a big boneless breast of chicken and veggies steamed and beans

So could this be too much food for lunch?

Kit

What are the veggies you are eating? 

Beans are another weakness of mine. I almost gave them up. A few times a year when we go out for Mexican, I will have a few beans. I can handle that ok, but any more is too much and I see it in my numbers. 

Ooohh and dump the steamed veggies unless you actually like them that way. I despise them myself. Instead I roast or stir fry them. Much much better flavor and I find that much more satisfying. 

I tend to avoid chicken beast except for chicken salad. They just don't have much flavor to them. I eat all the other parts of the chicken happily though. I love chicken livers fried in butter. 

Hammer
On 6/20/2019 at 11:19 AM, fattyboyjp3 said:

Hammer,

all I just saw these replies I have been pissed off lately about this stuff!   Ok so I eat a big boneless breast of chicken and veggies steamed and beans

So could this be too much food for lunch?

fattyboy, eating a big boneless chicken breast will raise your glucose levels.  While eating something that has lots of protein is good for diabetics, eating too much protein will raise your glucose levels too much, but not as much as something with lots of carbs.  Beans are also not good for a diabetic, as they contain lots of carbs.  

Maybe you should try this....eat some protein....a small chicken breast, a small steak, whatever, and along with that meat, eat some green leafy vegetable, like broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, kale, collard greens, a garden salad, etc.  Don't eat a big meal, instead, eat smaller meals....like eat 5 small meals a day.  Eating a large meal will spike your glucose levels a lot, but eating smaller meals won't.  While a smaller meal might not fill you up, eating 5 of them a day will help to stave off those hunger pangs, and it will keep you more satisfied.

The idea here is to eat the fewest number of carbs that you can, and still feel satisfied.  If it takes eating 10 meals a day, but the total amount of carbs in those meals combined is less than 100, then that's good!

I know that trying to eat a diabetes friendly diet is difficult at first, but over time, you will begin to enjoy a lot of the diabetic friendly foods.  In the past, members here have commented that, they used to eat a lot of the high carb, junk food, but after being on a diabetic friendly diet, their taste buds changed, and they now like the diabetic friendly foods, and don't like the high carb foods that they used to eat.

Whatever you do, DON'T GIVE UP!  While it may seem that you won't be able to adapt to a diabetic friendly diet, trust me, you will, it just takes time.  If I was able to do it, then you can too.  The people here in the forums will help you all of the way.  They will encourage you, they will give you support, and in the event that you fall off of the wagon, they will still support you and try to help you get back on track....that's what we do here.

fattyboyjp3

OK big Update guys!   I have done what all of you have said!  It seems I have been eating too much at one time!  So this weekend we did our normal thing at our Lake we cooked and sailed our boat, But I ate a small turkey sandwich before we went out on the water, I brought sandwich bags and put some popcorn in them for portion control, I brought Strawberries in baggies, we also had some watermelon.  I made burgers and chicken and did not eat huge portions!

Anyways we got home and I am always feeling like I don't wanna test myself to see a huge number, Its like a Test at school you fail when your number is big every day all day all the time now!   Well I took it and I was 109, this AM I was 126 @ 6:00AM Now @10:00 136  numbers are doing good Thanks ALL! 

meyery2k

Great -  Keep it up and those numbers might trend down further.  It takes a little time for that to happen.

Hammer

fattyboy, well, you're off to a good start, but remember, you need to avoid bread, so sandwiches are out....as well as popcorn and watermelon.  These all have lots of carbs.  Instead of using bread for a sandwich, try using lettuce leaves to hold the sandwich together.  Instead of popcorn, try substituting pork rinds....maybe barbecue flavored pork rinds.  And as for the watermelon, well, there aren't many fruits that you can eat....maybe some blackberries or raspberries, but that's about it....well, except for avocados.

Don't get discouraged, just keep posting here and asking questions.  I would venture to say that, continuously changing your diet to a diabetic friendly diet, will bring your numbers down, will have you lose weight, and you will feel a lot better.  Meyery2K is an example of that.....Mike lost a lot of weight eating a diabetic friendly diet, and he now rides his bike for very long distances, and it's his diabetic friendly diet that has given him the energy to do so.

meyery2k

I don't know if this will help but, after I lost my 100 pounds, I was in a state of confusion for a little while.  I wanted to get below 200 pounds and, for a short time, I was there but felt terrible physically and mentally.  The doctor and a good cycling friend suggested that I was probably going too far and suggested that I adopt a new strategy.  Eat as much as I want to and see what happens.  I was indoctrinated to eating less to change a habit.

It took a while to get there.  My weight has indeed crept up to 215-220 but it is stable there.  My clothes all fit.  I ride at least 25 miles a day 5 or 6 days a week.  I ride hard too not just cruise around.  I realize now my weight comes from muscle and not fat.  Mentally and physically I feel much better.

While a number is a good guideline, I believe our bodies generally will do what is best for them if we allow them to.