Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  
Draperygoddess

Newbie--again

Draperygoddess

Hi guys!  I first found this site about 3 years ago, when I was looking for help getting my BG under control as it was in the prediabetic range.  With my family history of T2, I assumed the curse had come home to roost.  Nothing worked, I was losing too much weight, so sick and tired and weak...enter Graves' disease.  As Graves' can raise BG, I hoped that getting my thyroid under control would help.  Two years ago I had radioactive iodine therapy, which basically killed my thyroid (a mixed blessing).  In the time since, I have focused on getting back to "normal."  Regulating thyroid meds is always a crap shoot, but I have a new doctor who actually listens, which is great.  This doctor recently ran a fasting BG test along with my other bloodwork.  It came back at 102--she didn't even mention it, but I read my labs and it concerned me.  I got some new test strips and started checking myself.  Once again, I am solidly in the prediabetic range.  I have gone back to a LCHF diet, no sugar, no grains, no potatoes...and I'm getting nowhere.  Morning readings are usually in the 110's.  Today, after a lunch of 5% Fage and blackberries, I tested at the 2-hour mark and was at 138. I'm not overweight, my waist-to-hip ratio is .73, blood pressure is normal.  She didn't test cholesterol or triglycerides, but I've never had a problem with either.  

Doctors look at my family history (paternal grandmother, paternal uncle and father all diabetic) and tell me "as long as you watch your weight, you'll be fine."  My grandmother was NEVER overweight, she was active, ate lots of veggies she grew herself--and was insulin-dependent in her 60's.  I'm wondering now if she was actually T2, or maybe LADA?  My dad does fit the standard T2 profile, but he says he has no idea if they've ever checked for antibodies.  I do know that my Graves' makes me more likely to develop another autoimmune disorder.  Anyone else had success with diet and exercise with prediabetic LADA (does that even exist)?  I don't want to wait until I'm officially diabetic to deal with this.

meyery2k

There is some school of thought here that pre-diabetic IS diabetic.  Just not severe enough to be clinically labelled as such.  You may be experiencing dawn phenomenon where your body dumps some glucose in preparation of waking up.  Some people have this happen no matter what and others can have a little better luck with it when drilling down on the carbs.

You might find it useful to get up and test a couple hours before you actually get up.  Do you test almost first thing upon waking or do you do some things and then test?  I notice I rise about 10 to 20 points within an hour after waking sometimes.

Have you had your A1C? taken.  That will also help show what has been happening over the past few months.  You can get an at home A1C test at CVS.  Some people here question the accuracy of them but I have taken one within days of having a lab drawn and they were very close to each other.

You mentioned lunch.  Do you know what your BG was before lunch?  That would also help you determine what is actually happening.  Between the yogurt, the berries, and insulin resistance, that 138 might have been a spike.  That is precisely what happens to me now.  I start at 90, eat something I shouldn't, shoot up to near 140 and just stay there for 4 or 5 hours.

Eating to your meter might prove very helpful.  Test before you eat and then 2 hours after.  You should be right around where you started.

Good idea to work on this before it develops into diabetes.  I wish I did.  Even though I no longer present clinical symptoms, it never comes off the chart.  Best I can hope for is either "well controlled" or "in remission" as a description.  It makes getting some types of insurance a nightmare and I am supposed to tell the DMV and get a doctor's note.

Draperygoddess

Meyery2k, thanks for your input!  In the past couple of weeks since I started testing again, my BG has not been below 100 at any time.  I do test as soon as I get up in the morning, but recently I've been waking up in the middle of the night (3-4 a.m.) so I can test then.  My pre-meal BG is usually 100-110, comes back to that after a low-carb meal.  Blackberries, apparently, are not my friend. ;) 

I'm planning to get an A1C when I see my doc in a couple of weeks.  

After watching my grandmother and uncle die from complications of this disease, and seeing the problems my dad has (even though he is well-controlled, he was given the standard diabetes diet and metformin 20 years ago and is insulin-dependent now), I do not want to go down that road. There has to be a better way to deal with this disease, and I intend to find it.  Thank you for taking time to help others figure it out.

JimmyMc311

Hi, Jimmy here, 54 male, strong family history with diabetes.  In the past year testing my A1C - first test a year ago was 6.4, then next test 6.7 then next test 7.1 which was 3 months ago, this past Thursday test of 8.1.  Started developing neuropathy and numbness on the bottom of my feet.  Strangely, my doctor (GP-MD) still has not prescribed any treatment other than diet and exercise.  Testing finger prick BG early morning after fasting/sleeping  this week ranges 250-280.  Thoughts????

Kit

Hey a new doctor. Your A1C goal should be under 6.0.  At over 8, your doctor should be putting you on meds. 

You might also want to poke around or recipe section here. You might find suggestions on diet that may also help. Especially if you are following your doctor's diet advice. 

Getting good control now may likely help you reverse some of those neuropathy symptoms. 

Welcome to the group. Feel free to ask any questions you might have. There is a lot of first hand experience here. 

meyery2k

Welcome. When I was diagnosed my A1C was 8.5. Doctor prescribed Metformin. 

I would ask the doctor why no prescription.  

What type of diet are you following?  

Kenton

Graves is an autoimmune disease and having one increases the chances of having another.

I had Graves, have Crohns, LADA and have Vitiligo all over.  Hopefully I'm done with that crap but the odds were not in my favor once I had one.

When you took the radioactive iodine pill did the Dr and Nurse have on protective garb and use forceps to hand you the pill container after giving you a list of don'ts like do not share bathtowels, no bodily contact etc etc?  I seriously was considering having the operation at that point.

Thin people can get T2 but I've heard they suspect a percentage of people diagnosed as T2 are actually T1.5 like me.

Edited by Kenton
Spell check bit me

adiantum

Hi Jimmy,

I'm sorry I wasnt online some 19 hours ago to welcome you.

My A1c was 11 when I was first diagnosed & I also was told to follow a diet & exercise for 3 months.

Luckily for me, that I found this forum that very day. Ten years later & I'm still free of meds.

I was in total confusion reading  the diet many here followed, which was  nothing like what  the  diet the doctor recommended.

My reasoning to follow their example was that these people are living with diabetes & are getting success with their approach, I I too follow a low carb high fat diet.

It works!! & better still is it is a diet & lifestyle one can follow for many years without complications nor feeling deprived .

Check your diet seriously..  you are now  unable to tolerate carbs so reduce them to eg. 75 grams a day  to start with.

You might need meds & dont feel despondent if thats the case , but even if meds are necessary, you will still need  to reduce the carb intake & be active.