Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

adiantum

War on Waste

adiantum

There is a war on waste here thanks to the abc 's initiative in bringing awareness  to the community.

Its interesting to see how much unnecessary waste we have produced in the past & doing something about it is wonderful.

This incident was news to me..

a small seaside village hairdresser estimates they go through 300 meters / 329 yards of aluminium foil a week.

A  local collector visits the hair salons in that area & he has collected 1 tonne / 1.1US ton  of foil in just 7 months.

Image result for hair foils

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-22/man-wages-personal-war-on-waste-on-hairdressing-foil/10018990

buddy7

As you know Lee, aluminum foil is recycled, can only hope the local collector is paying for the tonnage from the hairdressers. One way this contribution will go back into the business.

Today’s waste is big business, something we so often take for granted.

adiantum

I'd hate to think the hairdresser or anyone would only consider recycling if there was a money incentive for them.

Do you really think having foils would be made cheaper because the hairdresser could recoup the costs.

Planet Earth is to be the winner here.

That collector runs a "not for profit" recycling company.

buddy7

“I'd hate to think the hairdresser or anyone would only consider recycling if there was a monetary incentive for them”? I see no reason why shouldn’t they. On average, these programs will charge a household $8-$12 a month or more for trash collection and around $3-$5 a month to collect recyclables. Often the costs involved with running a recycling program are passed on to the citizens by combining those costs with trash collection fees or through increased local taxes. Course the scrappy who calls door to door he gets all his collected bit as throw away items, not only are you glad to get rid of them, no cash change hands. But when he takes your stuff to the scrap hauler, that’s the time he gets money for it. The point I’m trying to raise, any form of scrap/waste is big business today, and in reality, nothing is for nothing.

“Do you really think having foils would be made cheaper because the hairdresser could recoup the costs”? Oh Yes!! Any recycled Aluminium materials where has to be recycled reduces cause to the consumer, Why! It’s not mined from the Earth that reduces the cost to the customer. The truth is that recycling isn’t always free because it always costs money to make a recycling program work. Many haulers advertise “free recycling”, but there is a cost to run the recycling program. To collect recyclables haulers must purchase and maintain expensive recycling trucks, employ staff to collect and process materials, purchase fuel, and provide recycling carts or bins. In the end, the expenses involved with recycling collection are often nearly the same as the expenses involved with trash collection. However, unlike trash, which haulers must pay to dispose of at landfills, recyclables once collected can be sold as commodities. This brings down the cost of running the program and makes recycling more economical.

No scrap merchant runs his business as a non-profiting organization, course they will like you to believe that it’s never the case. Look, once knew a few scrap merchants dealers, one in particular, had a huge listed property on some 12 acres with a Rolls Royse among other elite cars sitting on the drive, so they are far from being poor as to speak. We must not be bamboozled, every time they collect old scrap from our houses, someone is making money.

Sorry to be longwinded!!!

adiantum

I'd never treat a recycle collector in such a way.

Some people love the planet & if they can make a living  by protecting it , then they get my praise.

That hairdresser would not reduce her fees , yet you can be sure her business would improve as more environmentally conscious people would rather support her  then one that didnt recycle.

It saddens me buddy that people  would only do something if there was a personal reward in it for themselves.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.