Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

adiantum

Living in a Lighthouse

adiantum

As a child Ive dreamed of living in a lighthouse, but not one so  close to Antarctica as this lighthouse is.

It must be the most beautiful location in the world , but even  preparing the supplies needed would be challenging.

Maatsuyker Island lighthouse, looking out towards the Southern Ocean.

this is a great story....

How much toothpaste do you use in six months?

David and Diane Masters have been monitoring their usage as they pack for a half-year stint on one of Australia's most wild and remote islands.

The Masters will soon be volunteer caretakers on Maatsuyker Island off the rugged south-west coast of Tasmania.

The pair will have to take with them everything they'll need for those six months — from toilet paper to perishables, flour and linen.

There is a limit on how much they can pack because it will have to be transported as a sling load, suspended underneath the helicopter that drops them off....."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-22/the-challenges-of-packing-for-six-months-on-a-remote-island/10017222

control

US Ship: Please divert your course 0.5 degrees to the south to avoid a collision.

CND reply: Recommend you divert your course 15 degrees to the South to avoid a collision.

US Ship: This is the Captain of a US Navy Ship. I say again, divert your course.

CND reply: No. I say again, you divert YOUR course!

US Ship: THIS IS THE AIRCRAFT CARRIER USS CORAL SEA, WE ARE A LARGE WARSHIP OF THE US NAVY. DIVERT YOUR COURSE NOW!!

CND reply: This is a lighthouse. Your call.

buddy7

Don’t think I will fancy living in a lighthouse, in whatever weather I suspect things will be extremely cold. Not for me.

Kit

I have to admit, its very tempting.  The logistics of supplies would be a nightmare, but spending 6 months isolated in a beautiful area is extremely appealing to me.

adiantum

Previous caretakers would provide a good list of supplies they thought was needed.

The garden could have crops remaining that the last caretaker planted, as  this caretaker would sow seeds that the following caretakers could use.

Being pescetarian, I'd have an abundant supply of fish nearby.

I'd love it if i were much younger.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.