Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

adiantum

Zinc

adiantum

Has anyone noticed taking zinc to be beneficial to ones BG?

I heard on the radio yesterday that Newcastle university  is doing a study on zinc being Rx to those Dx with pre diabetes to prevent  the  patient becoming type2.

It has worked in an African country but our foods might have higher percentage of zinc.

I noticed my BG numbers were improved when I was taking zinc last year to help with problem healing issues after a skin graft.

I guess I shouldve continued taking it

adiantum

The study has only just begun so no data available yet.

Whilst zinc is important to regulate your immune system,I'd be careful if over dosing on it or any minerals

dowling gram

You can get very sick overdosing on zinc. Zinc remains in the body and you can easily overdose.  I would only take it if recommended and monitored by a doctor for a specific reason.

We get zinc from seafood and meat, cheese and nuts and to a lesser extent some green leafy green vegetables--you can get a full list on line. Most north Americans get enough zinc in their diets.

An Average African diet consists of starchy food like taro, grains and root vegetables and little meat so I can see why taking zinc might help them.

DanG

Type1 insulin years ago was known as zinc-insulin suspension, fwiw...

meyery2k
8 hours ago, dowling gram said:

You can get very sick overdosing on zinc. Zinc remains in the body and you can easily overdose.  I would only take it if recommended and monitored by a doctor for a specific reason.

We get zinc from seafood and meat, cheese and nuts and to a lesser extent some green leafy green vegetables--you can get a full list on line. Most north Americans get enough zinc in their diets.

An Average African diet consists of starchy food like taro, grains and root vegetables and little meat so I can see why taking zinc might help them.

DG - Thank you for the information.  Someone like me might just go for it on the zinc otherwise lol...

ran23

winter time I take a Zinc/Echinacea combo (Nature's Way).  Forgot what I read to start using this.  

OneEye
17 hours ago, ran23 said:

Now I take Zinc 23 mg with a glass of wine.  they are supposed to work hand in hand

If the 23mg of Zinc doesn't seem to be working...double up on the wine. That may not help, but...you won't really care! 11smile.png

Edited by OneEye