Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  
DanG

Resistant Starch

DanG

Resistant starch seems interesting... perhaps.  Resistant starch is said to reduce glucose spike, which seems to be a good thing, so it seems interesting.

Mention of resistant starch recently caused some research.  It seems starch and carbs are equal or similar.  Resistant starch does not digest in the stomach and small intestine.  Resistant starch is said to be nutrition for bacteria in the colon / large intestine.  Another factoid in the search reveals that we are hardly human.  90% of the cells in our bodies are bacteria in the colon.  ...well... that is the way one writer spoke.

Am I late to the game on this nutrition element?  Or is this a rather recent nutrition issue?  Uncooked rolled oats have a good amount of resistant starch, so that has become my resistant starch recently to see benefits easily, perhaps.  Soak the oats overnight and the result seems palatable.

stevenal

I tried some potato starch awhile back. I couldn't see that it affected my blood glucose either way, so I stopped the experiment. I'll be interested in hearing your results.